What I would like to see dish to do. (Dish please read).

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
In the "Top 250 package", there is over 250 channels, probably over 280 if you have the package above that.

Now while no one really watches all 250 channels, I'm sure there is at LEAST 12 channels that people are interested.

CNN, Comedy Central, TBS, Disney, Nickelodeon, History, A&E, Cartoon Network, MTV, Spike, Discovery, AMC.

Look! 12 channels, and I'm sure all of us here like quite a few of those, and some might like all of them.

This handful of channels is just a mere drop in the bucket to the entire list of channels that one can have.

Many of these channels might have 6-7 things airing at the same time.

But there exists a bottleneck, and it's the number of tuners. The hopper only has 3.

While adding another hopper is a good idea, it costs money, and it's a pita to program the other hopper unless you have a 2nd TV. There is no way really to EASILY setup recordings from the guide for the 2nd hopper.

So there is two ways to eliminate this bottleneck:

1. Produce a receiver with more tuners (costly upgrade costs).
2. Make use of another content input stream.

The content input stream everyone is familiar with is of course satellite. However as I said before, adding more "inputs" would require another receiver, which means upgrade costs.

As a side note, in order to lessen upgrade costs, dish should in the future market a receiver that has additional slots for tuners. That way they can give EVERYONE the same receiver, but charge people who want more than 2-3 tuners.

We have another content input stream that dish needs to make MORE use of, and that is....the ETHERNET PORT.

Now when I was with Directv, D* DID have a few TV shows available for download, but not all of them were. This might of either of been a cloud-based storage restriction, or a restriction with the channel providers.

However dish only has movies on their "on demand" service.

I want to see a change in that.

Not only should people be able to download movies at anytime, they should be able to download TV SHOWS at anytime as well.

That way if all 3 tuners are being tied up, they can:

1. Select an episode in the guide.
2. Select "Download"....

and your done, instead of that show being recorded via satellite, it can be downloaded via a cloud to your receiver's hard drive.

You could also go in and search for things as well.

Now IDK what kind of monthly charge there would be for this, if at all. Personally I would not mind paying $5 a month to do this. I'm sure that $5 can go to recoup costs from having a large storage cloud.

Now I'm sure your saying this may or may not be a bad idea.

Let me just say this, some cable companies have this feature already, such as Xfinity from comcast.

The ability to not just download movies, but TV shows as well would be a great feature dish can add.

Not only that, they could also use it as a "plus-point" for people to switch to dish network.

I'm pretty sure thatthe content owners require additional fees for additional delivery options, such as Internet streaming. If this option were free, Dish would probably already be doing this.

Since I've downloaded quite a few tv shows from dish's on demand, your premise is incorrect. Of course not all tv shows are available for differing reasons.

And of course, outside of broadcast channels, the others have incessant reruns. Just pick a different time.

I'm not so sure, the fact that other providers have this tells me something. I think it's more an issue of infrastructure.

Take the blockbuster@home, I would think the movie cloud comes from BB, and not dish.

Dish does have plenty of tv shows on demand,you can access them thru the receiver,or online.I usually have to find a tv show or two when I go to bed on my wife's 722.Her tv viewing habits and mine are very different.

Since I've downloaded quite a few tv shows from dish's on demand, your premise is incorrect. Of course not all tv shows are available for differing reasons.

And of course, outside of broadcast channels, the others have incessant reruns. Just pick a different time.

When I click my dishondemand button, all I see is movies.

I have been watching Spartacus on demand,as well as several other tv shows.Press the dvr button once go to networks and then select the network you prefer,all the tv series are inside the folder.

In the "Top 250 package", there is over 250 channels, probably over 280 if you have the package above that.

Now while no one really watches all 250 channels, I'm sure there is at LEAST 12 channels that people are interested.

CNN, Comedy Central, TBS, Disney, Nickelodeon, History, A&E, Cartoon Network, MTV, Spike, Discovery, AMC.

Look! 12 channels, and I'm sure all of us here like quite a few of those, and some might like all of them.

This handful of channels is just a mere drop in the bucket to the entire list of channels that one can have.

But there exists a bottleneck, and it's the number of tuners. The hopper only has 3.

While adding another hopper is a good idea, it costs money, and it's a pita to program the other hopper unless you have a 2nd TV. There is no way really to EASILY setup recordings from the guide for the 2nd hopper.

The content input stream everyone is familiar with is of course satellite. However as I said before, adding more "inputs" would require another receiver, which means upgrade costs.

As a side note, in order to lessen upgrade costs, dish should in the future market a receiver that has additional slots for tuners. That way they can give EVERYONE the same receiver, but charge people who want more than 2-3 tuners.

We have another content input stream that dish needs to make MORE use of, and that is....the ETHERNET PORT.

Now when I was with Directv, D* DID have a few TV shows available for download, but not all of them were. This might of either of been a cloud-based storage restriction, or a restriction with the channel providers.

Not only should people be able to download movies at anytime, they should be able to download TV SHOWS at anytime as well.

2. Select "Download"....

and your done, instead of that show being recorded via satellite, it can be downloaded via a cloud to your receiver's hard drive.

Now IDK what kind of monthly charge there would be for this, if at all. Personally I would not mind paying $5 a month to do this. I'm sure that $5 can go to recoup costs from having a large storage cloud.

Let me just say this, some cable companies have this feature already, such as Xfinity from comcast.

The ability to not just download movies, but TV shows as well would be a great feature dish can add.

Not only that, they could also use it as a "plus-point" for people to switch to dish network.

Why, exactly did you leave Directv again? Directv has most of what you are asking for.

Of the 12 channels that you listed, I rarely watch any of those. The 12 that I watch are different as well as the 12 that other people watch. That is why some of us get 250 channels, Each of our watching habits are different. I only get Dish America, since most of the channels that I watch are in that cheaper group.

Well, Dish already has on demand, so asking for Dish to have something they already have is silly. Directv may have more, but they torture kittens and puppies for fun over there, so I can't support such a company.

For the vast majority, what Dish offers as far as DVR capability is fine. The one suggestion I've seen proposed here that really makes sense is having a DVR with the ability to offer 2,3,4,5 tuners based on the desires of the sub. Charge $5 mo extra for each tuner above 2. The Hopper includes 3 tuners and that's just flat out not enough. "D"s Genie includes 5 tuners and that is what "E"'s Hopper should include. The advantages "E" incorporates are wonderful with that one exception. "E"s simple and inexpensive method of adding an EHD is brilliant on "E"s part but the 3 vs 5 tuner difference is a puzzling concession by "E". Like I said, 3 tuners is fine for most but presents a huge huge disadvantage for me.

2. Select "Download"....

So you're telling us you don't want to add an extra Hopper because of the cost but youare willing to pay an extra $5 per month? I just don't see why it is so hard to set up recordings on two Hoppers. It seems to work just fine for me and I record a wide variety of stuff. Whenever a conflict comes up I can usually find one of the shows replaying at a later time.

Well it's really too soon for there to be a new receiver. The hopper has been out for around a year. The Hopper W/Sling just came out recently.

I say give it another year and release an 8 tuner HD DVR.

Another thing, I think the whole "client" thing is silly. The joey is a cool idea, but each joey sucks up a tuner. I think each receiver should have it's own tuner, and still maintain the ability to watch recorded shows.

Well it's really too soon for there to be a new receiver. The hopper has been out for around a year. The Hopper W/Sling just came out recently.

I say give it another year and release an 8 tuner HD DVR.

Another thing, I think the whole "client" thing is silly. The joey is a cool idea, but each joey sucks up a tuner. I think each receiver should have it's own tuner, and still maintain the ability to watch recorded shows.

I like the client idea but the monthly fees should be lowered. No reason to charge $7 for a tunerless box. If the cost was lower then there would be more benefits to the clients because they would be cheaper and smaller. They work great for kitchens and bedrooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)