What is a good OTA antenna for 722k ?

handymantoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
northeast
I presently have a 25 year old directional VHF-UHF antenna on a rotor in the attic. It is attached to 622 but I am upgrading to 722k. My furthest station is about 50-60 miles. The reception isn't great with this antenna. Seems irratic on some channels. I'll have signal in 60's it will go for awhile then I will loose signal yet strength hasn't changed. I do not have any amps just RG6. Thought a new antenna may help. Would directional be best with the rotor? Amp help? Any suggestions appreciated.

First go to AntennaWeb or TVfool.com and put in your location and see what it tells you. At 50-60 miles, you would probably need a roof mounted antenna. Antennacraft make their HBU 55 that is rated for 60 miles. Winegard also makes good antennas. There are a lot of guys on this board that are really helpful when it comes to antennas.

I saw someone use a paper clip before ..... The little remote antenna that you can get from Dish works well also. Now, you aren't going to get stations from 50-60 miles away. Still, nice bang for the buck.

for uhf hd channels, the winegard hd8800 works great, and it is fairly reasonable priced.. in my area cbs is on VHF 4, so i had to go with the winegard hd-8200u. it works very well even as far as the 70 miles i am from the transmitter.. i get 80s and 90s.. both of these antennas are great, you just need to determine if you need vhf or not - most markets dont..

however - before i would try a new antenna - try a amplifier. the winegard ap-8275 is a good one.. in my area i get 1 channel wihout a amp, and 22 channels with the 8275 installed.. if you dont have a amp, start there for sure..

I picked roof RCA antenna from Walmart. I get locals from 50 miles away. Signal is about 80%. I attached antenna to dish pole. No amp installed I just run new RG-6 for it.

FYI: the guy who could read minds doesn't post in the forum anymore, so you might want to tell us where you live so we know what channels the local broadcasters use, and the distance and direction to the towers, and position of any obstructions.

I bought the round outdoor mounted HD antenna from radio shack, (forget the mdl, but its the only round outdoor one they sell.) Anyway, mounted outside next to my dish on the garage about 10 feet above the ground. I live half way between Milwaukee and Chicago, I scan locals and pull in 60 off air channels. Some are weak, but the majority (90%) are 80 or above. I know there has been discussion about the quality of this antenna, but I have had mine for three years and no problems.

Dang

FYI: the guy who could read minds doesn't post in the forum anymore, so you might want to tell us where you live so we know what channels the local broadcasters use, and the distance and direction to the towers, and position of any obstructions.

Dang I miss that guy.:D:D He's got a TV show now doesn't he: The Mentalist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)