What is a good signal strength?

theinv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
What is a good signal strength?

My signal is between 70 and 80. I think these numbers are a little to low. Should I ask a dish tech to take a look?

With L441 I have to re-learn what strength is a good signal. Apparently as long as one is over 18, it is acceptable.

I am getting 40 on a couple of TPs. That used to be terrible. Now, I'm not sure how good that is.

With L441 I have to re-learn what strength is a good signal. Apparently as long as one is over 18, it is acceptable.

I am getting 40 on a couple of TPs. That used to be terrible. Now, I'm not sure how good that is.
I must be missing something? I have signal strengths in the 100's on at least half my transponders,the other half are in the mid 90's and a few upper 70's and 80's.That my average for the 110 119 and 61.5. If My signal strength is an 18 ,I won't have a picture. I've never seen the signal levels that low with a peaked dish. Like said what am I missing? The new software changed signal levels?

I must be missing something? I have signal strengths in the 100's on at least half my transponders,the other half are in the mid 90's and a few upper 70's and 80's.That my average for the 110 119 and 61.5. If My signal strength is an 18 ,I won't have a picture. I've never seen the signal levels that low with a peaked dish. Like said what am I missing? The new software changed signal levels?

You will see them that low when you get the software update.

as long as the strength meter is green you have good signal, yellow is marginal and red is ready to drop program at any time.

Which locations are you looking at and also which transponder?

Here are the signal strengths I took down last night. I don't know whether I am looking at the right location and correct transponder though.

Satellite, Transponder, signal strength
129, 29, ~58
110, 11, ~52
61.5, 11, ~50

How do I know which location I should look at and which transponder I should use? Can I still watch TV if I screwed up the transponder setting?

Last edited:
You can't "screw up" the transponder setting, they are automatic. When you change transponders in the Dish Point screen it has nothing to do with channels/transponders association.

I'm getting an upgrade from a Dish 942 to the new 722 receiver this weekend including installation. Assuming I can get the installer to install two dishes (one for 110/119, a second one for 129), what's considered a good signal strength for the Atlanta area? Which transponders should I check on the 129?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)