WHAT IS BETER FOR CAMPING, DISH

supermod38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
central, ny
LOOKING for a dish to take camping and would like input on the one that would be best between 1000.2, 1000.4, EA, OR WA???
i can get either for about $60.00 bucks. most camping is on east coast. what besides the sats is the diff between 1000.2 and 1000.4??

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Central NY should be the 1000.4 EA dish, it takes a lot to setup without proper meter to go with it. If you locals aren't on 77 (don't believe they are) you can get most in not all channels by using a dish 500 and pointing it at 61.5 and 72.

Why not go with the tailgater? You can use in either locations and simple to use. It is portable and all you have to do is hook a 211K to the tailgater and it powers the antenna.

Central NY should be the 1000.4 EA dish, it takes a lot to setup without proper meter to go with it. If you locals aren't on 77 (don't believe they are) you can get most in not all channels by using a dish 500 and pointing it at 61.5 and 72.

"why would the dish 500 be any diff to set up than the 1000.4?"

my locals are on 72 i think or 61.5, i don't get anything from 77 although it is there,. my dish at home is a 1000.4
do i need a specific lnb to get 61.5, and 72 on the dish 500??

Last edited:
1) You want to use an EA dish for 61.5/72/77. If you don't care about your locals via sat, you can use the 1000.2 and pick up 110/119/129 instead. I gather the 1000.2 is easier to aim.

2) I have heard of some folks doing strange things, such as using a 500 designed for 110/119, or even a 1000.2 (presumably the 119/129 LNBs?) to pick up 61.5 and 72 only. These dishes are sub-optimal because of the different satellite spacing.

3) The 1000.4 is larger and hence harder to aim than a 500 due to the laws of physics.

1) You want to use an EA dish for 61.5/72/77. If you don't care about your locals via sat, you can use the 1000.2 and pick up 110/119/129 instead. I gather the 1000.2 is easier to aim.

2) I have heard of some folks doing strange things, such as using a 500 designed for 110/119, or even a 1000.2 (presumably the 119/129 LNBs?) to pick up 61.5 and 72 only. These dishes are sub-optimal because of the different satellite spacing.

3) The 1000.4 is larger and hence harder to aim than a 500 due to the laws of physics.

I use option #2 at home and it works fine. Don't have locals from DISH so no need for 77, at least currently. Wouldn't be my choice for camping as the aiming data isn't available via the receiver.

The 500 is easier to aim because you are trying for 2 satellite locations instead of peaking on 3 satellites. The 500 has cruder adjustments than the 1000.4 dish but that actually make it easier to peak. If your locals are on 61.5 or 72 the dish 500 will work for you on both the eastern arc(61.5 & 72) or western arc (119 & 129) both are slightly bastardized uses but work for camping. Dish 500s are smaller and can sometimes be found free or close to it.

I really can't say if the 1000.4 is easier or harder to aim than a 500. What I can tell you is that the wife and I have a 1000.4 with both an eastern and a western arc lnbf. This way it really doesn't matter what part of the country we are in we can get reception. Heck even had to use the eastern when we were in Tucson as the campsite we had didn't have clear line of sight to western. It's nice to have options. First few times sighting use the foil over the two outer eyes trick and it wasn't that bad, but did require some time to get solid signals on all three birds. After a few setups like that though did invest in a FirstStrike meter (FS1 L) for $165 and later picked up a birdog ultra from ebay. Both of those meters work well and make life much easier but really are not required to get the 1000.4 up and running.

I really can't say if the 1000.4 is easier or harder to aim than a 500. What I can tell you is that the wife and I have a 1000.4 with both an eastern and a western arc lnbf. This way it really doesn't matter what part of the country we are in we can get reception. Heck even had to use the eastern when we were in Tucson as the campsite we had didn't have clear line of sight to western. It's nice to have options. First few times sighting use the foil over the two outer eyes trick and it wasn't that bad, but did require some time to get solid signals on all three birds. After a few setups like that though did invest in a FirstStrike meter (FS1 L) for $165 and later picked up a birdog ultra from ebay. Both of those meters work well and make life much easier but really are not required to get the 1000.4 up and running.

that is he answer i was looking for, thank you. i am going with the 1000.4, don't mind the difficulty tuning it in, i have all the time in the world.

Every time I see a post like this, someone says "jut get the tailgater".
Not everyone is made of money.
Even if I could afford one ,It would still be hard to justify the cost if it were to be used just once or twice a year.
He may not have or want a 211 or may want to use his existing dvr .
Don't get me wrong, the tailgater is way cool and is the perfect solution for some people.
Its just not a cure all (or affordable) to everyone.

I thought the tailgater only worked on the western arc anyway

Every time I see a post like this, someone says "jut get the tailgater".
Not everyone is made of money.
Even if I could afford one ,It would still be hard to justify the cost if it were to be used just once or twice a year.
He may not have or want a 211 or may want to use his existing dvr .
Don't get me wrong, the tailgater is way cool and is the perfect solution for some people.
Its just not a cure all (or affordable) to everyone.

I thought the tailgater only worked on the western arc anyway

that's right, western arc only, and ONLY DISH 211K, 350.00 for the tailgater, plus the receiver. and yes i like CHEAP!!!

I have used both a dish500 and a 1000.4. The 500 was the easier to aim but didn't include all the HD channels (altho it did pick up th SD versions). The 1000.4 took more time to aim but got me all my HD channels. Locals weren't a problem as my MH was equiped to pick up OTA and I just switched input on the TV remote control to antenna to watch the locals. I also did some rewiring to be able to use the dual tuner reciever for seperate satellite viewing in both front aqnd bedroom TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts