What is cheapest way to add AC3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had been having problems with my PayPal account, so I had to send a money order, but I got confirmation yesterday that the two I ordered were shipped yesterday, USPS from Freemont CA, so I am looking at about three to four days. (Oh, that problem has been solved, my old bank got bought out, and I hadn't entered the new account numbers correctly, everything is fine now)

After reading all that everyone has said, I too am now looking forward to HEARING what I have been missing.

Thanks Ice for the info and everyone else that responded to this thread.

Ummm ... mmm ... A question for those that already have this connected to their TVs. Do you leave it connected to the TV all the time, or do you have to remove it for NON AC3 channels, meaning, does ALL the audio now come through the Sonic or only the AC3?

Photto

Last edited:
I had been having problems with my PayPal account, so I had to send a money order, but I got confirmation yesterday that the two I ordered were shipped yesterday, USPS from Freemont CA, so I am looking at about three to four days. (Oh, that problem has been solved, my old bank got bought out, and I hadn't entered the new account numbers correctly, everything is fine now)

After reading all that everyone has said, I too am now looking forward to HEARING what I have been missing.

Thanks Ice for the info and everyone else that responded to this thread.

Ummm ... mmm ... A question for those that already have this connected to their TVs. Do you leave it connected to the TV all the time, or do you have to remove it for NON AC3 channels, meaning, does ALL the audio now come through the Sonic or only the AC3?

Photto
All audio is passed through on both my Coolsats and Geosatpro receivers.

All audio is passed through on both my Coolsats and Geosatpro receivers.

Same here, I hooked mine up to my Visionsat over a year ago, turned it on and haven't touched it since. Once you get it hooked up and turned on it is totally transparent.

I even hooked up the headphones and listened a couple of times when I first got it.

if hooked up that way yes

there are 2 headphone jacks on the front. One can be the ones to go to the TV (the "Y" adapter) and the 2nd port can be the headphones

Thanks, Iceberg, Phottoette and I are BOTH looking forward to getting these. We ordered two of them, one for the bedroom and one for the livingroom.

BTW, I ordered mine from the same place you ordered yours, so I will assume that everything will be exactly the same as yours.

I think between she and I, we'll be able to make our own "Y" connectors.

Next thing, I'll have to start working on the wiring for the C Band actuator. AND I got a call today from a fellow that has a "6' or 8'er on his roof, hasn't been used in a year, kept getting scrambled and tired of paying $100 each time to get it unscrambled." Going over there tomorrow to see what he has, and help him take it down off his roof. Gonna be an interesting next few days with all the new toys arriving.

Photto (and Phottoette over my shoulder as I type this)

I like the portability. I was out scanning C-Band with the Coolsat (for updates to thelist) and now I can hear those C-Band channels outside :)

You may also want to try Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA Digital-to-Analog Audio Converter that supports AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital In, converting it to Stereo Out. Its more expensive, but gives a higher quality sound. Sonic Voom is long discontinued, so harry, if you want to buy one from Amazon. :)

How can I convert the outputs of this higher quality sound unit to the 3.5mm plug on my computer speakers?

From what other guys are saying, Sonic Voom might be sufficient solution for most current SD AC3 channels. I didn't try it yet, but would look at it first if I need one - not at the moment. The value of this forum is not in showing ambitions, but in better solutions through shared experience - at least for me. :) But if one needs a better quality unit like Gefen, connection wouldn't be a problem: any RCA Male -to- TRS (Fe)Male (Mini phone 3.5 mm) or similar Connector would do.

Well, the two Sonic units got here, and I am BLOWN away with the sound from the headphones. Sort of small(ish) but what the heck.

I forgot that day I was going to Wal*Mart to pick up the $4 "Y" connector mention in a post above, but I am off to wally world today, need to do some shopping, plus get some pipe for the new(est) C-Band dish. IF wally world is out of stock or whatever, there is a Shack just a few blocks away, I'll stop in there and pick up the 6' "Y" connector you mentioned Ice. Thanks to all for getting me through this.

Photto (and of course, Phottoette, looking on)

In case anyone is interested, the headphones on one of my Sonic Vooms didn't work, so I took it apart to some extent just out of curiosity (I never use the headphones anyway).
I've uploaded 4 pictures below (sorry not very good focus, I didn't have proper lighting handy). .

I've just recieved my Sonic vooms and am well pleased with them. Clearly like you I am one of the curious types and you have just saved me taking them apart. Once again many thanks for sharing the info with us BJ, :up

The headphones are needed. The update I posted above adds AC-3 option properly

Version 1.00 in some cases doesnt put the AC-3 pid in properly and logs it as 65535 which is null so it didnt work. Some of the PBS stations do that. Sportstime Ohio is the one I had issues with. The only way to fix it was to add it via Channelmaster
'
The above software fixes the audio pid so it shows correctly.

OK, now I'm a tad confused. Do I add this newest software instead of the ver 1.00? Or do I reload with 1.00 than the new software?

I "thought" I was reading that the new software will put AC3 from the coolsat to the TV without the need of the Sonic headgear, but now I think I am reading that wrong?

Sorry if I am being a little thinckheaded here.

Photto

no worries.

Just load the other software (the one in the link). You will still need the sonic voom headphones as the Coolsat 5000 wont pass dolby digital audio to the speakers. Thats where the sonic voom comes in

The reason of the different software is this. When you scan a channel, it shows the video pid & audio pid. The easiest way to see this is on the channel press info twice. It will show something like "APID" 0256 (very common one)

The issue was when it came to channels with AC-3 audio. The Coolsat normally scans the audio pid as a 5 digit number (like 16464) which is fine. But version 1.00 (and maybe 1.01 I dont know) on some channels wont scan the audio pid properly. It logs it as "65535" which is the same thing as a 0. So on those channels you wouldnt get any audio even with the sonic voom. Some of the PBS stations log that way with the version 1.00 software and I know a lot of C-Band channels had that issue. It was just a flaw of the software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts