What is Delta showing in place of WNBC?

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Delta has E* service on many of its Jets. The only OTA "Network" they show in NBC - and it is(was) the East Coast DNS feed - WNBC in NYC. That was shown along with MSNBC, CNBC etc.

Has anyone flown Delta today to see what they are using (or a blank screen)?

If not, is anyone flying this weekend that can take a look out of curiosity?

EDIT: Delta has Dish - Airtain (which I posted originally), has XM satellite, but no TV.

Last edited:
I believe it's actually D* service, but WHY would it matter? E* STILL is carrying WNBC on a CONUS beam for it's local NY subs, so there is NO reason they still couldn't authorize it for Airtran - they have just shut it down for ALL DNS subs. And Airtran is NOT using WNBC via DNS service - it's via a private contract between Airtran & the NBC TV Network. ;) ;)

Seems dishrich may have cleared this up.. but I will be on an AirTran flight from Dayton, OH to Orlando, FL in about 7 hours (8AM EST). Don't think they'll show anything on such a short flight (2 and a half hours), but I'll chime in if I can. Then again, I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas with the wife once I get there, so it won't be my top priority. :)

Well, first, it is Dish - 100% sure. They have Dish logos all over the touchscreen and info.

Second, I am wrong on the airline, LOL. It's Delta. Airtan has XM Radio, not Dish.

Third, they had to give up a Conus transponder on 119 for NPS, so if they can move NYC locals and LA locals to Spotbeam, I see no reason why those will not be moved - if they have not already as that Conus spot is very valuable to them now as they just leased out one - with less than max capacity.

And its not a matter of showing something - these are seatback lcd screens with about 25 channels - which are active on even an hour long flight - so sorry about the wrong airline TSC. My Mistake!

Last edited:
Third, they had to give up a Conus transponder on 119 for NPS, so if they can move NYC locals and LA locals to Spotbeam, I see no reason why those will not be moved - if they have not already as that Conus spot is very valuable to them now as they just leased out one - with less than max capacity.

Well the point is, they already moved them to ANOTHER CONUS beam, so obviously they DO have the CONUS capacity. If they have this private contract w/Delta, or whoever, I can't see them giving this up only to gain back a couple SD slots worth of CONUS bandwidth.

Besides, you're assuming E* is NOT taking into consideration all of those "movers" out there that moved to NY &/or LA to keep some sort of distant network service. Don't be naive & think E* DOESN'T know about this - if there is ANY way Charlie can make money in this fashion, he'll do it! Hell, the Chicago & Denver nets are still on CONUS as we speak & they COULD have moved them anytime now as well, but haven't - you do the math... ;) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)