What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lern, I was very pleasantly surprised at what they offered me. Again, I've been with them since 1998 if that made any difference. I say, hang up and try again.

Is there a special number just for Retention or I just call the normal Directv number?
Thanks

This morning was my big setup. They were connecting an HR34, one client, one HR20 and an R22. All of my content is on my HR20 in the basement now. The installer just left without making it all work. Everything is seeing everything except the basement on the HR34! He worked on it for 3 hrs. And in fact I was able to see the HR20 on the HR34 for a little bit and test playing something back from that dvr, but now it wont see it. He had no idea what the problem was and promised his co-worker will be coming back later this afternoon to see what he may have been doing wrong. This is a deal breaker for me as I have a 1 TB external drive hooked up to the HR20 with all of my content from the past couple of year that I need access to on the HR34 tv. Yikes. Any thoughts?

Can I use a WD hard drive in any eSATA enclosure to expand the capacity? Or would it have to be a WD hard drive and enclosure in one? Thanks

You don't even need to use an enclosure, if you want to save some money just pick up an esata docking station, the blacX has worked great for me and no fans to listen too.

What is your setup? Include the cable runs splitters etc. I have seen installers do some crazy stuff like putting 8 way splitters when only a 2 way was needed. Kills the MRV signal.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Help a dope out...

I've seen some freaking out about HDCP with the C31. I'm not well versed in HDCP, although I get the general idea. What exactly is the panic about as it relates to how the c31 works?

Not sure if this is still a question, but I just got me rear kicked a bit by the HDCP and the c31. Here's what happened:

I have an HDTV that is about 4 years old, and I guess not HDCP compliant. Until last week, it was connected to a DirecTV HR-22 and had no issues. Last week, I bought a new, bigger HDTV, and moved the old one to the bedroom. Yesterday, I had the DirecTV guys come out and replace the bedroom receiver (an old SD DirecTV Tivo) with the Genie/C31, and create a Whole Home DVR with the HR-22 in the living room. Everything seemed fine post installation until tonight (Sunday) I went to watch something on HBO in the Bedroom and got an error message telling me my TV could not receive the copy protected content coming from the Genie box. It would seem that the Genie/c31 is HDCP compliant where the older HR-22 box and TV over 4 years old are not.

I called DirecTV and was basically told "just use component cables instead" and "I don't want to tell you to buy a new TV but..." as answers. The former won't work because my component port is already occupied and the latter was not an answer I was willing to accept. I ended up swapping the boxes, and putting the Genie/c31 in the living room with the new TV and the HR-22 in the bedroom, where it was once again paired with the older TV. DirecTV at first told me this wouldn't work, but as I explained to them why I thought it would work they said "Well, that makes sense in theory". At the end of the day, it did work, and both set ups are now working.

So, long story short, HDCP is a real concern if you have a TV over 4 years old (or one that is possibly not HDCP compliant) but if you are willing to use component hook ups or use the older HR-22 DVR box (which does work with the Whole Home DVR), you can avoid the issues. You just have to know what to look out for.

Hope this helps.

You are correct, the C31 is HDCP required for any channel. The HR series is HDCP required for premium channels.

As they continue to evolve, it is likely that all receivers will require HDCP. Eventually you may end up using component or upgrading the TV.

Just wanted to throw a little something in about the new Genie and such setups. When dad passed away I had to close his account and get a new account and return our 3 HR24's and two H24's... Even with not so good credit they gave me an HR34 (Genie) and 3 clients plus one SD box for the spare room and all I had to pay upfront for 5 tv's was $21.80.... So far it works awesome and never had a lack of tuners so far either. On top of that one thing I really like about these new lil` clients is that you can easily use them with older CRT's with converter boxes and still use the guide and everything unlike my old H24 and HR24's that wouldn't show the guide on old RCA setups. So, even with shoddy credit I got 5 total rooms with all but one on MRV for $21 down and $89 a month for well, you know how that intro pricing stuff goes. Happy as can be so far...

More info on what the Genie is...

SO WHY ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS GOING TO LOVE GENIE™?

Just take a look at the new features and benefits your customers will get:

GENIE™ SERVES YOUR ENTIRE HOME WITH ONE HD DVR — With Genie™, enjoy a full HD DVR experience on every TV in your home. Now you can record, pause, fast-forward, rewind and delete pre-recorded shows from any room. You can even start watching in one room and finish in any other. Plus, your family can watch the same pre-recorded show simultaneously in up to 4 rooms.

GENIE™ ELIMINATES RECORDING CONFLICTS —
Genie™ lets you record any 5 shows you want - all at the same time - all in HD - and all with one central HD DVR.

GENIE™ STORES ALL YOUR FAVORITES —
Genie™ has more than enough room, so you'll never have to delete your favorite shows to make room for new ones. Genie™ comes with 1 terabyte of HD DVR storage and up to 3 times more HD recording capacity than cable.

GENIE™ IS SUPER SMART — Genie™ even recommends new shows you might like, based on the ones you typically watch. It’s never been easier to discover new favorites.

With Genie™ leading the way, this first-time ever combination of instant rebates, incredible new hardware and DIRECTV programming has everything your customers will love. And the best bonus of all… it’s an offer designed to bring even more high-value customers to you.Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only).

Requires a C31Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 1-Requires C31 Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. 2-Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 3-Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only). Actual recording capacity varies based on type of programming being recorded. Program must air in HD to record in HD. Additional required legal: Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo.). Visit directv.com/genie for complete details. To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required. Number of HD channels varies by package. Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time.

Can someone tell me how this will affect my viewing (other than the ability to record 5 programs which I want)? I currently have 5 HDTV flat screens in various rooms and the rec room. I have an HR24 and I run that to an HDMI 1-8 splitter to feed all my tvs. I can control from any room with the RF remotes, but as with the HR34 can only watch one program (same program) on all tvs. I understand that to watch different programs I would have to purchase RVU enabled tvs or similar.

So, is it just the 5 records that will be different for me with the HR34 only? I really would like that capability but don't want to pay a lot to get it. I've been with DTV since 1998-9 or so.

Can someone tell me how this will affect my viewing (other than the ability to record 5 programs which I want)? I currently have 5 HDTV flat screens in various rooms and the rec room. I have an HR24 and I run that to an HDMI 1-8 splitter to feed all my tvs. I can control from any room with the RF remotes, but as with the HR34 can only watch one program (same program) on all tvs. I understand that to watch different programs I would have to purchase RVU enabled tvs or similar.

So, is it just the 5 records that will be different for me with the HR34 only? I really would like that capability but don't want to pay a lot to get it. I've been with DTV since 1998-9 or so.

you can access the recording with other units, like a c31, h24, ect
or you can keep doing what you are doing

Thanks, the only thing that interests me is the ability to record more than two shows at once, thus my need for the h34.

I recently got a HR34 and am very pleased with it so far. On the HR22 for Showtime on demand it gave the option of a faster lower quality download but it seems to be missing on the HR34. Not sure if this is a HR34 related issue or Showtime.

Boy is my face red. It was exactly the same as the HR22. Got so excited about the new machine I forgot some of the old stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts