What is Dish 500? Do I need the 500?

rngraing

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
I'm contemplating signing up for the 180 pack, but it says I won't be able to recieve all the channels without the 500 which requires a 12 mth contract. Do I need the 500? What's the difference? What channels will I miss? Will I need to upgrade later? Thanks in advance.

Do you not have a Dish 500 right now?

The Dish 500 sees 2 slots, 119 & 110. If you have an old Dish 300, it only sees 119. (in most cases...there are exceptions)

All channels in the 180 pack that are not in the 120 pack are on 110.

I don't have dish yet. I've got to replace voom, but I'm confused how many dishes the Dish Net has. Which one does everyone else have?

-Most standard installs are with a Dish500

-Depending on your location, they may need a “Superdish” for you to get your locals. This would take the place of a Dish500.

-Some locations have locals on a “wing” dish (either 61.5 where Voom is or 148). In that case, you would need 2 dishes.

What is your general location? If we have that, then we can see where the locals come from and which Dish you would need

I ran an address in the area, and the locals are on Superdish 105

So they would install a Superdish for you to get everything

good news
-one dish for everything

bad news
-Superdish is larger than a Dish500

SuperDish is 24" tall and 34" wide made of metal. Dish500 is 20" tall and 20" wide. Dish300 is 18" tall and 18" wide.

A SuperDish gets everything that a Dish500 gets.

Will they install the superdish on the roof of the house? Also, I have a tivo series II, does it work with a standard def reciever? Thanks.

My SD is ground mounted on a Pole. I have a standalone Tivo that works well with a 311 receiver. You will have issues with your Tivo regarding their dual tuner receivers (322 or 522). Google it to find out. For me I'll rather not worry about those issues.

If you are going to a new install...just take advantage of the free DVR deal they have now. I just had a 522 installed along with a 500 dish. I love it...well, except for surround sound...which I am having problems getting answers about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)