What is dolby E audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is a PCI card tuner, http://www.vela.com/resources/File/United_States/English/CineView HD Pro.pdf

with the ASI option (needed for Dolby E decoder), approx 5-6k

First of all, that's not a tuner card. It's basically just a video decoder card. It is said to do a pretty good job of decoding 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 HD and I've also heard it will do some flavors of Mpeg4, like H.264. Anyway, the ASI is not what you need for dolby E. ASI is a serial digital connection used to carry transport streams. Alot of commercial receivers have ASI out and some have ASI in but a dolby E decoder will not likely have ASI as it doesn't need to receive the full transport stream. It needs to receive the digital audio stream. Dolby E decoders may also have SDI or digital video inputs and may accept and passthrough digital video for the purpose of maintaining sync between the audio and video, but ASI has nothing to do with dolby E and a dolby E decoder isn't likely to feature it. Digital AES/EBU ouputs are what's usually used to feed dolby E to a dolby E decoder. Those are very different from ASI. As for the Vela card doing dolby E, I'm not sure that's the case and I'd be very careful about purchasing one based on that assumption. Nowhere in the documentation does it mention Dolby E and one mustn't assume anything when purchasing expensive broadcast equipment like this. The vela card may even have the right kind of digital audio outputs, but whether or not it can pass dolby E out those connectors is a whole other story. It might be physically possible to do this but you'd have to have the software to make it happen. As far as I understand, Vela only bundles a few small "sample applications" with the card and anything more costs extra. They even want to charge for their SDK which allows developers to create software that works with the card. This is why Rod has never added support for this card to Tsreader. Vela wants to charge him a big pile of money for the priviledge of doing so. So, if you bought this card you might have to also buy the SDK and write your own custom software to make it work and of course we're still just talking about passing Dolby E which means you'd still need the decoder. So, I don't think the vela card is what we're looking for here.Really the only thing it seems the vela card would be useful for hobbyist lik us is to be use as a video decoder and with the right software and codecs a new core2 duo based PC can handle that just fine.

As for dolby E, I think your solution mentioned earlier (that is finding an alternative audio source) is the best at this point in time and likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. One thing to mention with regard to your suggested method is one can change the buffer settings in TSreader and VLC. This could perhaps be used to try and help somewhat sync the video to other audio sources.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts