What is Eastern Arc?

So, here's a question:

I just had to cancel my Dish service after a move to a new home w/ line-of-sight issues (trees all over the SW of the property). I am now w/ Comcast in Chicago/Skokie...it's OK, but not as good as E* (except I REALLY like their OnDemand feature). Given the choice, I'd go back w/ Dish in a heartbeat.

Furthermore--I have a purchased 622 w/ a R5000HD mod. Love it. Really hate to sell it, but if there's no way I can use it...

So, should I just bite the bullet here and sell the 622 and don't look back--or is there a glimmer of hope that Eastern Arc will materialize into a bona fide solution to my ills? What kind of timeline are we really talking here for full HD/locals from the SE? And that being said, will I get slapped w/ fees etc if I go back to Dish in a few months? That'd sting.

Do you have a line of sight to 61.5, 72.7 & 77? If so, is fourth quarter soon enough for you?

I currently have a Superdish pointed at 110, 119 & 121. With the rumors that the Albany, NY HD-locals are coming on line this summer I am contemplating the jump to HD from E*. This would require a second dish pointed at 61.5. The problem is that there is no line of sight to 61.5 where my Superdish is located and a second dish would have to be located about 60 - 100 ft away to see 61.5. My question is, if I wait for EA, will I be able to use my Superdish to see the EA or will I need a new antenna? A one dish solution would be nice, but I have a 300, 500 & spare Superdish piled up in my basement already. I also have about five old receivers piled up and would have to add my two 510s to that pile. (E* subscriber since 1997)

Do you have a line of sight to 61.5, 72.7 & 77? If so, is fourth quarter soon enough for you?

All I 'know' is the route to the SE looks pretty clear. As for those specific delineations, all I can say is, every installer that was out (2 for E*, 1 for D*) gave up in fairly short order on my installs due to the insurmountable LoS issues to the SW (for 119/129). 77 might be pushing it, as I do have trees directly south, but we could probably back up the dish position to the north side of the garage roof (northernmost point on the structure) and get something decent.

As for fourth quarter--it'll be what it'll be I guess. Not sure if I should hold on to the 622 or sell it and downsize my capabilities...hmmm.

The problem is that there is no line of sight to 61.5 where my Superdish is located and a second dish would have to be located about 60 - 100 ft away to see 61.5. My question is, if I wait for EA, will I be able to use my Superdish to see the EA or will I need a new antenna?

No. You'll need a 1000.4 and yes, it will need to be where it can see 61.5 as well as 72.7 & 77.

I currently have a Superdish pointed at 110, 119 & 121. With the rumors that the Albany, NY HD-locals are coming on line this summer I am contemplating the jump to HD from E*. This would require a second dish pointed at 61.5. The problem is that there is no line of sight to 61.5 where my Superdish is located and a second dish would have to be located about 60 - 100 ft away to see 61.5. My question is, if I wait for EA, will I be able to use my Superdish to see the EA or will I need a new antenna? A one dish solution would be nice, but I have a 300, 500 & spare Superdish piled up in my basement already. I also have about five old receivers piled up and would have to add my two 510s to that pile. (E* subscriber since 1997)
Where near Albany are you?....If you are within 50 milers ,especially north, you should be able to pick up the Albany locals with a decent antenna. I know people up near Glens Falls that are doing just that. If you really want them via satellite, don't hold your breath waiting for the EA...Just do the pole mount for the 61.5....BTW , how do you know the Hi Def locals from the Albany DMA will be on 61.5?

Where near Albany are you?....If you are within 50 milers ,especially north, you should be able to pick up the Albany locals with a decent antenna. I know people up near Glens Falls that are doing just that. If you really want them via satellite, don't hold your breath waiting for the EA...Just do the pole mount for the 61.5....BTW , how do you know the Hi Def locals from the Albany DMA will be on 61.5?

I live in the Berkshires in MASS approximately 48 miles east of the Albany HD towers. I have a rooftop antenna setup with seperate UHF & VHF antennas and a Channel Master amp, and get all but the CW 45 in hidef, however the reception is not reliable. If the wind blows or the atmospheric pressure changes we get dropouts or no signal at all depending on the channel. This is no way to watch TV especially Hidef. Looking for a more reliable source. I would be willing to wait for EA if there would be an andvantage to that, but could just do the 61.5 when Albany hd locals come online on E*. According to this: EKB: Dish HD Locals Albany was uplinked to 61.5 on 04/09/08. Thanks for the suggestions.

I live in the Berkshires in MASS approximately 48 miles east of the Albany HD towers. I have a rooftop antenna setup with seperate UHF & VHF antennas and a Channel Master amp, and get all but the CW 45 in hidef, however the reception is not reliable. If the wind blows or the atmospheric pressure changes we get dropouts or no signal at all depending on the channel. This is no way to watch TV especially Hidef. Looking for a more reliable source. I would be willing to wait for EA if there would be an andvantage to that, but could just do the 61.5 when Albany hd locals come online on E*. According to this: EKB: Dish HD Locals Albany was uplinked to 61.5 on 04/09/08. Thanks for the suggestions.
Yeah, you're in a bad spot for over the air. The Glens Falls Lake George area is in the Hudson Valley and as such it is relatively flat terrain. So the signals can get up there pretty easily. You however are in very hilly country.

I grew up in the Berkshires. OTA reception was never great there.I recall Channels 6 and 10 being fairly reliable but 13 and 17 being almost unwatchable. I remember folks being excited when 13 set up a repeater.

I remember beautiful trips along the Mohawk Trail in the Fall when I was a kid but for TV reception......well like up here in Vt - it depends which side of the hill you're on LoL.

I grew up in the Berkshires. OTA reception was never great there.I recall Channels 6 and 10 being fairly reliable but 13 and 17 being almost unwatchable. I remember folks being excited when 13 set up a repeater.

Isn't Ch 10 in Albany repeated off a transmitter in N.Adams on Ch 19?

Isn't Ch 10 in Albany repeated off a transmitter in N.Adams on Ch 19?

Yes. The repeater is on Mt. Greylock, which is about five miles from me. However there is a mountain (Brodie) between us and we cannot receive 19 from my location near Jiminy Peak. Digital 10 is actually one of my more reliable digitals. Even that channel has been spotty the last few days. I receive UHF digital reception on a bounce off of Brodie. The VHF channels (13 & 23) are received pointing directly at the Albany tower. 13 is especially spotty. 45 is almost always unreceivable. It won't be on E* either and there is no cable here.

So what are the boundary lines for the two Arcs? If you live in the midwest will you have more options at being able to point at either of the two? I know we can pull in 61.5 pretty easily and 129 is what we use for HD. If that's the case LoS issues would be pretty much gone for the midwesterners

There isnt a point somewhere in the country where the eastern/western arc would be less feasible due to distance or spotbeam/TP coverage??

There isnt a point somewhere in the country where the eastern/western arc would be less feasible due to distance or spotbeam/TP coverage??

Yes, 61.5 the spot beam satellite in the east has a certain spot beam coverage, as shown by the maps. 129 will have a different spot beam coverage pattern. So, most markets will probably be assigned to one arc or the other, the larger DMAs may have spot beam coverage on both satellites and have a choice.

huh....so when is this supposed to go in effect again...after XI and XII go up??

E XI or E11 is about to be launched. E12/E XII is in orbit at 61.5. E12 used to be Rainbow-1 but was renamed E12 when Dish bought it. The spot beam satellite for 129 is not a Dish satellite, but leased from Ciel, it will be Ciel-2. Ciel-2 is supposed to be launched at the end of the year, or early next year depending on when they can get a launch vehicle.

Quick question: Since the look on a 1000.2 dish is currently about 19 Degrees and the plan for eastern arc is 16 Degrees shouldn't dish be able to just put a new set of 3 LNBs at different angles to support 61.5/72.7/77 instead of 110/119/129? So would I just need a new LNB or a whole new dish?