What is expected to happen after the 600 mhz auction?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Will more channels be moving to VHF ? Will there be more co-channeling on UHF?

Can I expect WRAL to move from 48 ?

A handful of stations will move to VHF, a handful will go off the air. WRAL is almost certain to move off 48, The goal on the UHF side of things is to minimize interference, and co-channeling will only be permitted to the extent that it doesn't create excessive amounts of new interference. (For example, the WNCN/WFXR relationship is likely to stay as-is, but new cases of co-channel between Roanoke and Raleigh probably won't happen. I can't 100% confirm it because I'd have to do a bunch of research to verify that right at the moment, but if my memory serves me, it should not be able to happen.)

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
A handful of stations will move to VHF, a handful will go off the air. WRAL is almost certain to move off 48, The goal on the UHF side of things is to minimize interference, and co-channeling will only be permitted to the extent that it doesn't create excessive amounts of new interference. (For example, the WNCN/WFXR relationship is likely to stay as-is, but new cases of co-channel between Roanoke and Raleigh probably won't happen. I can't 100% confirm it because I'd have to do a bunch of research to verify that right at the moment, but if my memory serves me, it should not be able to happen.)

- Trip
Trip, I would not be shocked if WFXR were to turn off one of their UHF channel, 17 or 20, completely and just have a small translator on VHF for Roanoke City, like WSET and WDBJ have. WWCW and WFXR are both in HD HD on both 17 and 20 now. The picture on WFXR is not nearly as good as it was before. It would save WFXR on the electric bill and maybe make them some money for giving up 17 or 20.

I suspect that if they do choose to sell one of the signals, it will be WWCW. WFXR (in theory) reaches Blacksburg while WWCW doesn't.

- Trip

A handful of stations will move to VHF, a handful will go off the air.
- Trip
I found an article which lists the opening prices the FCC has set for stations which will be participating in the spectrum auction. The PDF link in the article appears to list all stations in US. Is there an updated list somewhere showing which ones have actually made the decision to participate? Thanks! :)
Article: http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/fcc-auction-opening-broadcaster-bids-released/277179
PDF: http://www.tvtechnology.com/portals/0/Reverse Auction Opening Prices 101615 Attachment.pdf

article on the auction (from Chattanooga)

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nterrupt-your-regular-programming-fcc/348548/

The Federal Communications Commission wants Chattanooga's TV stations — and those around the country — to put their frequencies up for an auction that starts March 29 to make more room on the airwaves for use by an ever-growing number of smart phones and other wireless devices.

For Chattanoogans who watch over-the-air TV, the auction could mean they'll have fewer viewing choices — and they may have to re-adjust their TV antennas as channels change and stations are "repacked" into a smaller slice of the airwaves.

Only about 11 percent of U.S. viewers still get their TV from free, over-the-air broadcasts. But many of those who depend on traditional broadcast TV are not happy to see free, over-the-air TV airwaves reallocated to wireless companies.

"The people that are running the process don't really care about free TV for consumers," said Chattanooga entrepreneur Henry Luken, founder of Luken Communications, which offers networks of old TV shows including "I Spy" and "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" for sale to broadcast TV stations.

one station there says it will participate

It's hard to know which of Chattanooga's TV stations will participate, because the process is shrouded in secrecy. The FCC won't disclose which stations are in the auction. Chattanooga broadcasters can say whether are not they're in the auction, but many are mum.

"I cannot comment," said Mike Costa, general manager at Sinclair Broadcast Group for three Chattanooga stations —WTVC-9, WDSI-61 and WFLI-53.

WRCB Channel 3 won't participate in the auction, said President and General Manager Tom Tolar.

"No we're not," said Tolar, explaining that Channel 3's owner, Sarkes Tarzian, Inc., which also has a TV station in Reno, Nev., wants to stay on the air. "We would rather continue to be broadcasters than to give up our channels."

Paul Grove, president and CEO of WTCI-TV 45, confirmed the Chattanooga public TV station's board voted unanimously to enter the auction.

"We are participating in the auction," Grove said, adding that WTCI would never leave the airwaves. "We will not abandon our over-the-air viewers, ever."

Grove wouldn't provide any more details. WTCI does have a page on its website that addresses the spectrum auction in which it answers questions and promises it's not "'selling out' to wireless companies such as Verizon and AT&T to make a profit."

I got a question when weau tower went down they were vhf 13 when the new tower was up they went to uhf 38, now can they sell uhf 38 and go back to vhf ?

My question is, how soon would any changes go into effect? As much as I like getting TV OTA, it isn't going to make a difference to the wife if the moves to new channels results in poor reception. I only get 1 VHF channel well, and it is still not as good as any of the UHF stations. We might have to move back to Dish if things go poorly.

It's very disappointing to me that it's confidential which stations are participating. Because it means they can take what is supposed to be a public service and drastically reduce or eliminate their service to the public, make a big pile of money, and the public doesn't even have a chance to complain. I think at least for non-commercial stations, it should have been made known to the public which ones were participating, and really, for all stations. I understand that the outcry from viewers would likely reduce the number of stations that would participate, and if it would, then it would prove that OTA service still does matter. If the outcry was not that great, then maybe in those markets or for those stations, no one was watching OTA anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts