What is going on?? Lost 119 Satellite

i think it was a power failure due to the solar storms up on the sun

let's hope E*14 doesn't crap out completely and become a dead satellite.

by the way 119 is back up and running now.

Wow, what a crazy morning!

I got home from work, turned on DISH Network, couldn't find signal (as a lot of you reported here).

Checked weather radar here, good. Checked weather radar in Cheyenne, good. Checked switch, good.

For fun, I decided to hook up my spectrum analyzer to see what was going on at 119 deg W (since 110W was fine). A lot of dish signals were being interferred with (it's like if transponders 9, 11 and 13 are normally left hand, transponders 10 and 12 were commanded into left hand, too, creating a gob of signal with nothing clean and proper for the receiver to lock onto).

I was watching for about 20 minutes the whole mess of dish transponders going in and out of interference as some transponders appeared to randomly change polarities to create interference and then switch back to their right polarity to remove the interference with other transponders. I don't believe talk of a power failure because the transponders never went away, they just got interferred with so you didn't have a clean, proper signal for the receiver to lock onto.

DIRECTV transponders were rock solid the whole time.

About 4:55am ET, the interference mess went away and all looked good to me for the next 15 minutes until I reconnected my 625 back to the dish.

I am hoping Echostar 14 isn't already flawed and that it was just someone at DISH Network sending bad commanding that they had to fix with new commands.

It would be great to hear "the rest of the story" when it comes out. This incident takes some of the sting out of moving to EA.

Ugg can yall imagin all the Trouble Calls that will go out for installs done in the last 60days that will cost techs so much money and waste of travel time for this!? LOL You know the CSR's are beyond stupid and will hit that TC button like mad crazy! :rolleyes:

Wow, what a crazy morning!

I got home from work, turned on DISH Network, couldn't find signal (as a lot of you reported here).

Checked weather radar here, good. Checked weather radar in Cheyenne, good. Checked switch, good.

For fun, I decided to hook up my spectrum analyzer to see what was going on at 119 deg W (since 110W was fine). A lot of dish signals were being interferred with (it's like if transponders 9, 11 and 13 are normally left hand, transponders 10 and 12 were commanded into left hand, too, creating a gob of signal with nothing clean and proper for the receiver to lock onto).

I was watching for about 20 minutes the whole mess of dish transponders going in and out of interference as some transponders appeared to randomly change polarities to create interference and then switch back to their right polarity to remove the interference with other transponders. I don't believe talk of a power failure because the transponders never went away, they just got interferred with so you didn't have a clean, proper signal for the receiver to lock onto.

DIRECTV transponders were rock solid the whole time.

About 4:55am ET, the interference mess went away and all looked good to me for the next 15 minutes until I reconnected my 625 back to the dish.

I am hoping Echostar 14 isn't already flawed and that it was just someone at DISH Network sending bad commanding that they had to fix with new commands.

Wonder if someone could have been trasmitting while pointing a dish in an uplink truck or ground based system. If interfearence was the issue, then the FCC will most likely investigate. The way the interference was described, it was like almost like someone was spraying the sky with RF signal in that range. Mind you it could have come from anywhere in the northern or southern hemisphere that has a view of that slot. To include Cuba.

The Dish online chat must be slammed cause of this.... look

dishchat.jpg

Is the problem still going on? I checked about 2 hours ago and my channels appeared to be OK.

Wonder if someone could have been trasmitting while pointing a dish in an uplink truck or ground based system. If interfearence was the issue, then the FCC will most likely investigate. The way the interference was described, it was like almost like someone was spraying the sky with RF signal in that range. Mind you it could have come from anywhere in the northern or southern hemisphere that has a view of that slot. To include Cuba.

I thought sats were designed with rather narrow uplink beams such that it would only be able to take signals from a very narrow couple areas.

Might it be possible that someone accidentally turned Echostar 7 on?

Holy crap... I was freaking out last night when I noticed 119 was down. Luckily though, the channel I was watching was on 129, but I thought surely that my dish got screwed up. I'm one of those new customers that had it installed within the last 60 days too... However, I never made a call, because it just didn't make much sense that 110 and 129 would work and 119 wouldn't... I figured hopefully it had to be a temporary issue, though I suppose an LNB could have gone out, but I thought the chances are kinda small.

EDIT: By the way, it's back for me, was back around 4am CDT I believe... Not sure... I was half-asleep :p . At any rate, it's up now, and signal strength is just as good as before.

Last edited:
Is it solar flares? We all gonna die?

I thought I was seeing spots last night... With my eyes shut... Just like those who went to the moon! Or maybe it was a dream. I dunno 2am and later I was definitely dozin'!

On a serious note... I am curious as to what happened... They don't seem to want to give any details though... Hope things stay up and running! I heard that in part of the contract, they have wording that allows them to still charge for no service! Haha let's hope that doesn't happen.

Yeah, makes sense... Well if they're gonna screw up, wee hours of the night is the preferred time! As long as they fix it before people wake up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)