What is max Joeys to 1 Hopper?

jjwilson3

Original poster
May 19, 2013
SoCal
I have 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. I know that 1 Hopper only supports 3 Joeys, but I want to have 3 more additional rooms/TV's that I COULD access on occasion - but not all at the same time (which would exceed the 3 Joey limit per Hopper). At any 1 time, I would only have 3 Joeys on the network.

Im thinking that if I remove power from the ones that I will only access on occasion (zero power to the conditionally accessed Joeys), then that is an option, but it is possible to use CAT5 or Wifi to link the others and get past the 3 Joey limit on MOCA. Example Hopper to 3 Joeys via MOCA and 3 more over CAT5

I do know that you can get a 2nd Hopper to support more Joey (3 again) - but do the Hoppers see each other and share content or are each on their own MOCA network and cant share content or?

I dont care about what Dish officially supports or not - Im just looking at options to have a spare bedroom, an outside TV and my workout room to have TV on occcasion on top of the 4 being used (Hopper + 3 Joeys).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you're willing to unplug your joeys, you might as well just move the joeys to the locations where you want to use them. All 6 locations can be ran off of one or two splitters from wherever your distribution starts. Just put a 75ohm terminator on the wall outlet at each room that's not being used. Save 21 dollars/month.

I have the TV's mounted on walls with everything tucked nicely behind sets and all power, HDMI, etc tucked nicely behind them and can use a wireless AC power switch to remove the power to the Joey - etc. Physically moving them is a pain VS pushing a button. I read now that Dish will charge you for each Joey the $7/mo regardless if you own or lease, so I dont want to get sucked into more monthly fees outside of content.

I have no issue to pay the the content, but I want to be able to have a TV in each room and be able to show up to 4 at once - but be able to access at any room. 7 will be my total and only 3 actually being accessed on a weekly basis. The other 4 are maybe a few times a month and 3 of the 4 are more like once a qtr so paying for all of them makes no sense.

Or you could go back to cable seeing what you are asking is a cable TV style setup. If you try garys idea it is cheaper but it is Standard Definition. So $300 to buy the extra Joey's and $21/mo. rental fees.

Run one HDMI out from a Joey to an HDMI switch. Output to TVs as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Another alternative is to buy additional Joeys. That way, you can activate/deactivate at will without having to return your Joeys since you own them.

By the way, I didn't see anybody address the max Joey limit to one Hopper. Suppose only 3 are on at once. Can you get more than 3 mated up to one Hopper?

I thought I heard in training that you could possibly have 4 or 5 linked. Not supported by dish though would have to buy joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)