What is minimum package to avoid early termination fee

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
Hi All,

Although I have a few months to go on my contract I am ready to drop E* and give VOOM a shot.

I do have a 12 month commitment due to the DHA-12 package. I currently have 2 HD receivers and 1 basic receiver.

It has been suggested that it is cheaper to keep a minimum programming package with E* until contract obligation expires.

What is the MINIMUM package I can maintain without getting hit with th early termination fee? Can I return two of the boxes and just keep one? Could I maintain ONLY the HD pack or do I need to do AT60?

Thanks,

Mike I.

If you have the 811, the minimum is AT60 AND the HD pack. If you do not have an HD receiever the minimum is AT60.

Thanks. But can I return the two HD receivers so that I am only paying for AT60 on one box?

Amphicar770 said:
Thanks. But can I return the two HD receivers so that I am only paying for AT60 on one box?
You need to check with DISH for a definite answer but I believe you committed to all receivers for the 12 months. :)

Do the math and see if you would end up paying more for the cancellation fee vs the programming.. then make your choice.

The only thing I actually signed was the install doc. There are no terms or conditions listed there. Basically just says I acept the install. Not sure if I clicked an "I Agree" when I signed up at dishnation.com but they did not e-mail me anything either in terms of a contract?

The only form I signed is the one which the installer brought along. It is the DISH Network Service ASgreement DNSC Form #1, Ver 11-15-03. It makes no mention of DHP or early termination fees. It lists 6 terms and conditions, mostly related to the install itself.

I did not sign anything else. WHen I signed up there may have been an "I accept" button for some sort of agreement. The standard user agreement at dishnetwork.com under "my account" simply states something to the effect that early termination may result in a fee. It does not specify how much or any specifics. I figured that would have been updated since E* just lost a class action suit filed by a number of states which invalidated their early termination fees since they were not clearly stated and defined up front.

The only terms I see on DIshnation are that equipment remains property of DISH and must be returned.

Digital Home Advantage Terms and Conditions

PLEASE READ

Offer Terms

The Digital Home Advantage is for new, first-time DISH Network residential households only. Offer is available from DISH Network in the continental United States between 8/01/04 and 1/31/05 . Number of channels may decline. Local and state sales taxes may apply. Where applicable, monthly equipment rental fees and programming are taxed separately. Requires a Qualifying Programming purchase or service will be deactivated. To participate, you must provide a valid major credit card and either your Social Security Number or the last four digits of your Social Security Number plus pay a $49.99 non-refundable fee. Participation is subject to credit approval. Social Security Numbers are used to obtain credit scores and will not be released to third parties except for verification and collection purposes. The Digital Home Advantage includes a satellite TV system with an eligible configuration of up to 4 receivers, choice of Qualifying Programming and Standard Professional Installation.

Activation Fee

You must pay a $49.99 Activation Fee. Such fee is completely nonrefundable once the system is activated. You will receive a $49.99 credit on your first bill.

Equipment Configurations

No more than two dual-tuner receivers per account are permitted (including no more than one DISH Player-DVR 522 receiver), or a total of four single-tuner receivers per account (including no more than two DISH 811 receivers) if no dual-tuner receivers are chosen. A $5.00 per month equipment rental fee for the first receiver is included in your promotional programming package price. A $5.00 per month equipment rental fee will be charged for each receiver beyond the first. DISH 811 receivers require subscription to DISH Network HD Pak.

Qualifying Programming

Qualifying Programming with one receiver ( with local network channels where available) includes America's Top 60 (currently $29.99/mo.), America's Top 120 (currently $39.99/mo.), America's Top 180 (currently $49.99/mo.), DISH Latino (currently $29.99/mo.), DISH Latino Dos (currently $39.99/mo.), DISH Latino Max (currently $49.99/mo.) or Great Wall TV Package (currently $34.99/mo.).

Equipment and Installation

Standard Professional Installation includes typical installation of one 20" dish antenna, typical hook-up of up to 4 receivers to up to 4 TVs and equipment testing. More complex installations may require additional fees; other installation restrictions apply.

Unreturned Equipment Fees

The satellite receivers, smart cards, remote controls and low noise block converters (LNBF) remain the property of DISH Network at all times and must be returned within fifteen days of account deactivation to DISH Network or you agree to pay an unreturned equipment fee as follows: DISH Player-DVR 522 - $300; DISH 322, DISH Player-DVR 510 and DISH 811 - $200; DISH 111, 301 and 311 - $100; Outdoor LNBF - $100; Quad Switch - $100.

Fees and Credit Card Charges

By placing this order, you agree that any unreturned equipment fees will automatically be charged to your DISH Network account or your credit or debit card provided to DISH Network and you agree to pay such fees. You authorize DISH Network to investigate creditworthiness. You further authorize DISH Network to report any payment defaults to credit reporting agencies. You acknowledge and agree that DISH Network is not extending credit and that the unreturned equipment fees are not interest, a credit service fee or a finance charge.

Service Fees

Each of your receivers must be continuously connected to your same land-based phone line. A monthly $4.99 Additional Out let Programming Access Fee applies to the second tuner of each DISH 322 or DISH Player-DVR 522 receiver. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis for each such receiver that DISH Network confirms has been continuously connected to Customer's same land-based phone line. DISH Network's confirmation process shall be the sole method utilized to determine if your monthly additional outlet programming access fee(s) will be waived. A $4.98 per month DISH Network DVR Service fee will be charged for each DISH Player-DVR 510 or 522 receiver; this fee will be waived as long as you subscribe to either America's "Everything" Pak or Latino "Everything" Pak. There is a $5.00 Change of Service Fee for each programming change except a $10.00 Change of Service Fee for each Adult programming change.

Warranty

Standard warranty includes no-cost repair/replacement of manufacturer defects during the first 90 days. After the first 90 days, a $14.95 shipping charge applies to warranty equipment replacement by mail, and a $99 in-home warranty trip service charge applies. For complete warranty information, including our optional DISH Home Protection Plan, revisit our website at www.dishnetwork.com or call us at (800) 333-DISH for full terms and conditions.

Programming

Local channels by satellite are only available to customers who reside in the specified local Designated Mark et Area (DMA). Channels may vary by market. Certain local channels may require an additional dish antenna from DISH Network, installed free of any charges at time of initial activation. A SuperDISH antenna may be required to receive local channels and will be included at no additional charge at time of initial activation with subscription to local channels . Cities subject to change without notice. Distant Networks packages by satellite are only available for private home viewing and in limited areas to homes that are outside a Grade A or B designated area or with the approval of local affiliates. Limit of two distant cities per eligible customer. If you qualify for PBS National Feed, it will be included in the Distant Networks package price at no additional charge. To find out whether you are eligible for Local Channels or Distant Networks, you may call us at 1 (800) 333-DISH, or revisit our website at www.dishnetwork.com . ESPN and ESPN2 programming subject to change and blackout restrictions, and is licensed separately for residential and commercial use. Some games telecast locally may also be included in ESPN packages. FOX Sports Networks programming subject to blackout restrictions and licensed for residential use only. Regional sports networks not available in all areas. All payments for programming are non-refundable.

Other Terms and Conditions

DISH Network shall determine eligibility for this offer in its sole and absolute discretion. Programming and other services provided are subject to the terms and conditions of the Digital Home Advantage Promotion Agreement and the Residential Customer Agreement, which is available at the link below for "Residential Agreement."

ALL PRICING, PROGRAMMING AND PACKAGES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.

All service marks and trademarks belong to their respective owners. ©2004, EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Well I guess your best bet is to call them and ask them to tell you what all of your commits are. They would know more about your account then us

Just called them.

Termination fee is $240. I can return two of the boxes and keep the one with only AT60. The latter is probably the most cost effective approach. That is OK as it will leave everything in place for me in case VOOM goes boom.

For those thinking of DISH and not certain that it is what you want, do not get the DHA-12 package as that will lock you into a commitment.

Amphicar770 said:
Just called them.
Always the best bet, especially if you can't find the terms you actually agreed to. (ALWAYS print the terms before you click on the accept button, unless you don't care about the terms.)
Amphicar770 said:
Termination fee is $240. I can return two of the boxes and keep the one with only AT60. The latter is probably the most cost effective approach. That is OK as it will leave everything in place for me in case VOOM goes boom.
Sounds like a good deal, dropping down to only $31.99 per month (plus tax) instead of paying $240 outright. That means you can watch E* for 7 more months instead of paying a penalty and seeing no programming.

BTW: I don't expect Voom to go boom, but I don't expect any improvements either. If HD is all you really care about Voom is a good service.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts