What is Model 311

BillH

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Can someone tell me what features the model 311 has? A friend got 2 and the rep told him he could record and watch different shows from this unit. I can not find it on dish network and wondered what features it has, like maybe 2 tuners.

I am wondering if it is a old version of the 311.

thanks.

311 is a plain single receiver. It has no ability to record programs and cannot be used to watch more than one program at once. A 322 is a dual-tuner receiver which CAN provide two programs at once to two different TVs but cannot record programs. The 522 CAN provide two programs at once to two different and CAN record programs.

The 311 is a 301 with some add on features, not many, and will not record. It does hold two days of programing info.

Thanks for the info.

chaddux said:
311 is a plain single receiver. It has no ability to record programs and cannot be used to watch more than one program at once. A 322 is a dual-tuner receiver which CAN provide two programs at once to two different TVs but cannot record programs. The 522 CAN provide two programs at once to two different and CAN record programs.

Thanks for the info. This is what I thought but was not sure.

I have a 311 as well as a 301. (OK, the 301 is actually a BEV 3100, but same box.) From what I can tell the differences are:
-A few more buttons on the 311's remote; including a seperate power button for the TV. This is actually a nice little feature.
- The 311 does not have a removable smart card. Me thinks this might also mean it has better encryption (harder to hack.) I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure one of the experts can let me know if I'm right.

ken0042 said:
I have a 311 as well as a 301. (OK, the 301 is actually a BEV 3100, but same box.) From what I can tell the differences are:
-A few more buttons on the 311's remote; including a seperate power button for the TV. This is actually a nice little feature.
- The 311 does not have a removable smart card. Me thinks this might also mean it has better encryption (harder to hack.) I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure one of the experts can let me know if I'm right.
SBC shipped me a 311 before they finally sent me the 522 I ordered. (Sometimes wish I'd stuck with the 311.) The encryption isn't any better; they just built the initial (yellow) smart card into the box. There's still a smart card slot in the event the yellow cards are ever hacked.

According to one site, the only internal difference between the 301 and 311 (besides the smart card) is that the 311 has 8PSK tuning capability. That's not relevant at present (E* only uses 8PSK on HD channels), but it may become important if SD channels switch to MPEG4/WMP9 compression.

I believe there are two additional buttons: A separate TV power button, and a "recover" button to help get your TV back to channel 3.

ken0042 said:
I have a 311 as well as a 301. (OK, the 301 is actually a BEV 3100, but same box.)

The Expressvu 3100 is from the 301 (not the other way around...Dish makjes the Bell equipment)

chaddux said:

OK if the 522 will let you watch 2 different shows on 2 different TV's. How do you control the channels? Do you get 2 remotes? and what about the TV's being in different rooms?

The receiver will be in the room with a TV that will be labeled TV1. You will change the channels and control that TV with an infrared remote. The other TV will be known as TV2. It will contol the TV using an infrared remote and control the receiver using a wireless UHF Pro signal so that you can control the receiver with the receiver in another room.

chaddux said:
The receiver will be in the room with a TV that will be labeled TV1. You will change the channels and control that TV with an infrared remote. The other TV will be known as TV2. It will contol the TV using an infrared remote and control the receiver using a wireless UHF Pro signal so that you can control the receiver with the receiver in another room.

So If I understand you correctly than you would have one receiver but would be able to change the the TV's independent of each other. So I could watch one show change the channel and the wife could be in another room and watching a different show and change the channel.

I trying to make sure I understand it correctly

Yes, you are correct. The 522 is a dual-tuner receiver. Basically, it is two receivers in a single package.

chaddux said:
Yes, you are correct. The 522 is a dual-tuner receiver. Basically, it is two receivers in a single package.

Thanks!! I might look into getting one.

I saw on Dish WEB site that you cannot purchase but only lease it. That's bummer!

At the beginning of this year Dish was doing a big push in my area and they were installing 311's as part of the package. Weather you went for lease or owning the equipment. I went for owning the equipment. I bought a 111 as a second, and I got to say, I like the 311. The 111 has a cable output only, the 311 has a choice of cable, A/V, Component, or S-Video outputs. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts