What is more important now?

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
I see less and less chatter regarding the DVR these days and more about content, HD versus SD and overall picture quality.

Here is a poll on the single most important thing to you right now.

I know the survival of Voom is important but assume they are moving forward.

If "Other", please explain.

Kentstater72 said:
I see less and less chatter regarding the DVR these days and more about content, HD versus SD and overall picture quality.

Here is a poll on the single most important thing to you right now.

I know the survival of Voom is important but assume they are moving forward.

If "Other", please explain.

HD! HD! HD!If it exists in HD VoOM should have it.

Before more content is added, I'd like to see the PQ straightened out. DVR is important, but recording sub-standard PQ is not good. Improvements and new things need to be offered in stages, so for me--the picture quality is most important right now, assuming that Voom will survive past the end of the month.

My priority list is:

1) VOOM survival
2) PQ fixed
3) HD DVR
4) ESPN2 HD
5) Regional Sport Networks (RSN) - both SD & HD
6) Other HD channels (HDNet, inHD, Outdoor 2 HD)

BTW, this poll should be moved to the "Customer Comments" area.

Walter L. said:
My priority list is:

1) VOOM survival
2) PQ fixed
3) HD DVR
4) ESPN2 HD
5) Regional Sport Networks (RSN) - both SD & HD
6) Other HD channels (HDNet, inHD, Outdoor 2 HD)

BTW, this poll should be moved to the "Customer Comments" area.

I totaly agree...

The Stone Man said:
Before more content is added, I'd like to see the PQ straightened out. DVR is important, but recording sub-standard PQ is not good. Improvements and new things need to be offered in stages, so for me--the picture quality is most important right now, assuming that Voom will survive past the end of the month.

What he said... :D :D :D

1. Survival
2. AMC6. This will solve PQ under mpeg2 and allow time to upgrade to mpeg4
3. DVR
4. More HD and SD.

riffjim4069 said:
I voted DVR, but I would pretty much group more HD/SD channels, bigger dish, DVR and MPEG-4 in the same group.

Done correctly MPEG-4 could clear up the picture quality, which i would put at the top of that list.

Alot depends on the ability to do single pass "GOOD" encoding. These harmonic encoders arent doing too good with MPEG-2, so I see no reason why they would do better with (more compression) MPEG-4.

Of course maybe their Mpeg-4 algorithm is better than their mpeg-2. Does anyone know?

Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival Survival

But not the game.... :D :D :D :D :D

zombie said:
Done correctly MPEG-4 could clear up the picture quality, which i would put at the top of that list.

Alot depends on the ability to do single pass "GOOD" encoding. These harmonic encoders arent doing too good with MPEG-2, so I see no reason why they would do better with (more compression) MPEG-4.

Of course maybe their Mpeg-4 algorithm is better than their mpeg-2. Does anyone know?

Think about that for a few. A compression scheme that compresses twice as much as Mpeg2 is going to give us better quality? I hope it will but Im not completely sold on it yet. Just a thought.:)

vurbano,
Notice that zombie said "done correctly". You both are right. MPEG4 has the potential to improve PQ by relaxing the bandwidth constraints.

Walter L. said:
vurbano,
Notice that zombie said "done correctly". You both are right. MPEG4 has the potential to improve PQ by relaxing the bandwidth constraints.

I hope so. But it is twice the compression. I hope the hype is true even though it doesnt make sense to me.

Without survival the rest are mute points. I will take survival 1st and worry about the rest later :)

Assuming we will survive...

Voomin@720p said:
Without survival the rest are mute points. I will take survival 1st and worry about the rest later :)

Voomin@720p, I think that we are all in agreement that survival "is" the most important thing, but as Kentstater72 stated at the beginning of this thread; Lets assume that voom "will" survive, what is most important to you then?

My order of importance...

1. PQ (This is what HD is all about after all.)
2. H-DVR (I'm assuming we are all talking about High-Def Recording?)
3. More HD (The primary reason most of us have Voom.)
4. More Programming in general. (Allows us to compete with other providers.)

When VOOM survives my list will be:
1. HD-DVR
2. RSN's HD
3. SuperStations HD
4. ESPN2HD
5. HDNet's & InHD's

That's all I want :)

EDIT: I guess I want the MLB and NHL subscription packages added as well :)

Voom4Me said:
Voomin@720p, I think that we are all in agreement that survival "is" the most important thing, but as Kentstater72 stated at the beginning of this thread; Lets assume that voom "will" survive, what is most important to you then?

My order of importance...

1. PQ (This is what HD is all about after all.)
2. H-DVR (I'm assuming we are all talking about High-Def Recording?)
3. More HD (The primary reason most of us have Voom.)
4. More Programming in general. (Allows us to compete with other providers.)
That follows my list

i want the dvr, b/c i need to record ota the most. unfortunately, by the time the dvr comes out the tv season will probably be over! so i guess fixing the pq is most important.

vurbano said:
I hope so. But it is twice the compression. I hope the hype is true even though it doesnt make sense to me.
Have you ever played with DivX?

The quality is better than what i've been seeing on voom lately. But, there's always a but... it is best when you use a multi-pass encoding method.

I have been running tests with some of the more action filled scenes of the different star wars movies with DivX Pro and it if possible to compress good without loosing quality...

Mpeg-4 is to video what mp3 is to audio, both are lossy. What they (the video community) need to do it create a good lossless video compression, there are a number of audio compression schemes that are lossless and give a good level of compression..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)