What Is Most Important to You in a FTA Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Just wanted to start a discussion and get some ideas as to what is most important to the guys/gals here when it comes to your FTA receiver.
I know this can be more than one thing. I also know everyone would like that magic box that does it all and never has bugs. However, what is the most important things to you? What are the things, that a box must have or you will not even consider it. Also what are some things within reason you would like to see in a FTA receiver.
I know one thing I have wanted in years. That would be a RTC(real time clock). Just like on every computer you buy, with a little coin cell lithium battery. I know why it is not top priority, because most of these boxes are designed for the European market. Why do you need that when you can get the time form the satellite? You don't and it is an extra cost. However, here in NA the time is all over the place. RTC chips these days can be real accurate. With a RTC installed, there would not be anymore problems with recordings, ever. :)
I know most of these boxes have a LAN connection now. There are still lots of people that don't want to have to run an Ethernet wire to their box. We all also know how Wi-Fi can hiccup at the wrong time!! So I wish RTC would be implemented.
So what is most important to you?
What would you like to see?

A RTC would be nice. What I would like to see in an FTA receiver would be......
An FTA receiver, plain and simple, no IPTV, no Ethernet, nothing.

Ditto the above. A nice clean and clear picture, too. That's a must. OTA tuner would be nice, if it is a tuner that receives well. If not, not even worth putting it in.

Reactions: FTA4PA
A receiver that is only a receiver.

Along with picture quality, equipment would have:
- Strong USALS burst output signal
- Selectable USALS and Diseqc for available for each Ku and C-band satellite
- Well made HDMI ports (and all ports)
- Options for external remote control sensor
- User friendly channel editor
- Effective heat sinks
- Strong 13/18v output for LNBF's
- Computer tuner card performance, but as a STB
- SNR and other output data
- 4K, 4:2:2, ACM, etc?

Nutshell, I'd pay more for overbuilt... I don't want to think that the next time I unplug the HDMI cable, it might not work again. Also, would like to have a box that in 3 years, if I need to upgrade could slip in a memory card.

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
The main things are reliability whether android/iptv or not, 16 apsk, and getting harder to find one recently with a loop out. Sensitive tuner and fast blindscan would also be nice and ability to smoothly record high bit rate channels.

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
Just do FTA. I've decided, long ago that a 'do everything box. isn't worth the 'space savings' because if one function 'goes south' you're actually without every function until it's fixed or replaced.** I have a computer (actually more than one) for I-net. I don't need it on my phone. My phone is a phone, that's it. If my phone goes south, I still have the I-net. **remember those turntable/AM/FM/8 track-cassette tape 'units' BITD?
BUT, an accurate clock, in that FTA box, that could update and correct itself with time.gov, nist, or any other time server, would be so nice that I wouldn't have to correct it manually every week. It really SUX to record 2-3 minutes of commercials and miss 2+ minutes of the program. (Also have a few recordings are 'back to back') The Amiko's clock is more accurate than the S9's, but it's not that much more accurate. Still have to reset it weekly. My win98SE's (yes, it's still ON, and doing it's daily 24/7 'chores'*) clock is a thousand times more accurate than the Amiko's. Just a little program running on it that checks it's accuracy daily. (User selectable as to 'how many times a day' it checks and adjusts)
* why replace it when it's 100% dependable??
You may be able to tell I'm not one that needs the 'latest and greatest' when the existing is fully capable of accomplishing the task(s) asked of it. For FTA, and other equipment, that's meant waiting for a 'new' product to 'prove itself' first.
I'm rarely 'the first on the boat' but when I do get on, I have a pretty good idea that it's going to float.
So, in the end, clock accuracy, would be my 'tipping point' in a new FTA box at this time. Not enough 4.2.2 to make that a factor today.IMHO. Most all can already do 16apsk. Many, in the market today, also do 32, So the biggest hurdle there is only a bigger dish for an acceptable SNR.

But it MUST have a network connection, so it can be synced to an internet time source! I'm tired of drifting clocks...
If it had a "real" RTC installed, the network connection would not be a must just for clock synchronization. I think though, they all come with network included, these days. :)

Reactions: fred555
Just a small list here...
-RTC is a must. Also nice to have clock display on the front.
-Gigabyte ethernet. (remote storage/viewing). Wifi not required but optional.
-Lots of processor and codecs for 4k/H265/4:2:2 etc.
-AC3 AAC, and other specialty audio formats (not critical but would be nice to decode them all properly)
-remote viewing (ethernet) for tuning dishes (requires device app, really like this on the A3)
-Internal storage (disk/ssd) bay, external drive via ethernet capable.
-HDMI-2, displayport, DVI+ (optional), optical SPDIF
-RF remote
-I am NOT partial to Android... open source Linux is fine. Must be stable!!
-no KODI, youtube, IPTV, etc. This would be a satellite receiver!
-well... maybe ATSC too that can be recorded off air...

Yea... I really just need a high end PCIe card! :) Nice to have a all-in-one satellite receiver STB though.

Reactions: KE4EST
I would really love to have some software for the PCIe cards that was designed for NA FTA and doesn't require a degree in computer science to use and maintain.

As for a receiver, if the microHD had a clock it would be a "must have" The only thing I wish it could do more of is editing channels. But DTV and DISH are constantly trying to patch and improve their stuff, so I think a perfect receiver is a pipe dream ;) We can come close by eliminating unnecessary bells and whistles.

Reactions: T4Runner and KE4EST
SINGLE INLINE CHANNEL LISTS SUCK! THAT is the one major complaint I have with these Micro HD receivers I have. When you got 100 channels on a satellite and you need to get to #50 that means you have to scroll up or down though half the list to get there, IF, you remember where it is in that list that is.

As close as the Micro HD GUI is to the Openbox S9s I have you would have thought that making the channel list layout on the Micro in 3 columns like the Openbox would have been a no brainer, but not so. This is one reason I still use those S9s as much as I do as they are easier to use.

Real time clock would be nice also. That and the channel lists in multiple columns is about the only thing the early AZ Boxes had going for them.

I agree with the previous comments. I have other devices that incorporate all those other internet sources, don't need them in an FTA box. RTC, 4:2:2, OTA would be nice, but the basics mentioned previously are the essentials!!!

Everything Cham said above although I really enjoy having Kodi on a receiver also. Actually the Amico A3 works out pretty good for me here along with the Azbox Me. If only the boxes would blind scan better. The Amico is really bad to crash on blind scans here. Thats my only real complaint about it. I wouldn't even think about getting a box that wouldn't connect to a network.

PS for a basic box with only the essential stuff the old Traxis 6000 works for that here.

We are on 2016 New technologies are present..
Mix the most Basic with New Tech..
A LOT OUTPUTS (VIDEO & AUDIO) all new stuff are forgotten (S-Video, component, composite), god Tuner &, blind scan, PVR features, Quality picture, processor, Channel editor, RAM, ethenet, IPTV, Android, 4K, 4:2:2., Kodi. QSPK's,
Preferible Open Source.
But The Most Important: "SUPPORT". Like Enigma2 receivers/ Imagens But covering America Requirements..

The last time I tried FTA, the clock issue was the worst. I could not understand why a $15 clock radio keeps perfect time but the satellite receiver was off by many minutes per day. I finally put up a second small dish pointed at the "free information channel" at 119 degrees and could catch the correct time there but it still would sometimes grab the wrong time elsewhere.

Tops for me: Stable with good (and lasting) support and NOT Android based - been there, done that, won't again. Also, when editing, deleting and renaming channels using the receiver (not using software editor) it would be great to actually be able to watch the channel while you are editing to make sure you have the right one. It can be very confusing when many channels only scan in as PT01, PT02, PT03, CH01, CH02, CH03, CH04 and you aren't sure which one you are editing (this is a nice feature that the X2 M1HD has, unfortunately that box has a problem where it constantly reboots :().

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason S
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts