What is needed to add Whole House or 3rd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I have 2 HR-23 HD DVR's with a slimline 3 dish (4 outputs (2 to each receiver). What is needed to either add the Whole House DVR or a 3rd receiver? I would like to have a receiver in our bedroom. Thanks for the info!

Not sure on Whole House, dont have it.

But for a 3rd DVR, they will need to run 2 more lines, and whatever the cost of the extra receiver is, they may waive the install and such fees.

It might be different, but When I got mine they had to come out and do the install, I could of, had their been the 2 lines and the switch was already their.

So If you already have the switch will multiple Coax, and have history of running lines, then thats fine. But I recommend install from them.

iafirebuff,
Given current technology, your path of least resistance (and lesser expense) is to replace your lnb with a 3lnb SWM head. The setup you need can be found here. The price for that setup is $98. Another alternative is to add a SWM-8 switch with power supply as illustrated here. This option runs you $125 and you still need to get a splitter for an additional $8. This will get you the hookup for your receiver in your bedroom. (Of course you will need to buy the additional receiver too.) You will need to run a line from the splitter to your new receiver. One bonus is that you only need one coax line to each of your receivers with this setup so you might be able to reroute some of the existing wire to do the job. (FYI, the SWM lnb can service up to 8 tuners. Your DVR's each have 2 tuners so you currently have 4 on the line. You are good for up to 4 more.)

To add MRV you also need to call D* and get it authorized. I think it is still available for an additional $3 a month.

Hope this helps.
Bob

THANKS for the info! I found the SL3S kit for $89.95 shipped. Looks like that is the way I will go. It will be the least amount of work for my set up :) I wonder if the power supply is rated to work outside? The spot where my dish is located is on my deck, but I have a weather proof box for cable hook ups that I would put the power supply in that is located under the deck. Anyway THANKS again for the info!

iafirebuff,
They call for the power supply to be inside. But, if you have a weather proof box it could work there too. It is usually easier to just put the power supply behind one of the receivers. It connects in the coax line and runs the power up the coax to the lnb. You just need to make sure that whatever coax you power up is connected to the connection with the red insert on the splitter (which should probably be in the weather proof box). The instructions that come with the kit will explain all this. Sounds like you are ready to go. Enjoy.

Thanks again for the info! I can just stick the power supply behind the new receiver. I will put the splitter in the weatherproof box inside my crawlspace. Should be an easy upgrade :)

SWM makes setups very easy :)

I have my power supply in the computer room (so it didnt take up an outlet in the living room surge protector) ;)

I got a perfect spot for it. We bought a new HD LCD TV with built in DVD for the bedroom...so I have lots of extra outlets now :) I had the old TV, digital converter box, FTA receiver, DVD player and the Roku box all hooked up. Now it is just the TV and Roku box :)

I got my Sl3-SWN lnb, power inserter and 8 way splitter in the mail yesterday. Went out and hooked it up - NO problems and went real smooth! One cable to each receiver sure is nice :)

I got my DECA's in the mail today. Hooked them and now have Whole Home :) Gonna add in the Broadband Connection Kit tomorrow. Real easy and works great :)

Glad everything is working for you. And thanks for getting back with your success story. Hopefully this will help someone else who is contemplating a similar setup. The broadband connection kit installation is a piece of cake compared with what you have already done.

Got the Broadband Connection Kit in - plugged in - went to the receiver and hit connect to internet - a few seconds later all done. This project was 100% plug and play. Can't believe they charge so much to do it. I have under $125 in this project (SWiM Lnb, 8 way splitter, power inserter, 3 DEDCA adapters, and the broadband connection kit). Real easy to do to :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts