What is needed to get HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmasters2876

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I know I need the HD or HD DVR Receiver, and TV that is capable of viewing the signals (Sony 1080/24P 120 Htz) but what I am really looking to know is what sateliite dish do I need? I hear that I need a new one (Currently have 18" Round) that has more LNBF's required.

Is it just the LNB or is it new birds I have to point to?

Thanks.

I know I need the HD or HD DVR Receiver, and TV that is capable of viewing the signals (Sony 1080/24P 120 Htz) but what I am really looking to know is what sateliite dish do I need? I hear that I need a new one (Currently have 18" Round) that has more LNBF's required.

Is it just the LNB or is it new birds I have to point to?

Thanks.

Your SD programming comes from 101.

HD comes from 99 and 103.

2 other satellite locations.

So that's the reason for the elliptical dish? With these new birds to point out, still just up/down left/right, or is skew introduced like the Dish Network satellites?

Dang it! I think I'm just going to wait for a promotional offer or try to get them to give me a free upgrade to the sat and receiver.

So that's the reason for the elliptical dish? With these new birds to point out, still just up/down left/right, or is skew introduced like the Dish Network satellites?

Yep, and skew has been around a while and is needed with these "new" dishes just like the other DirecTV multi-sat dishes of old; all the way back to the PhaseII and PhaseIII

Related issue: how much bigger is the HD dish vs. the regular def one (that's 1 year old - don't know the model but it appears to be 18" in diameter)? Reason I ask - I bought a (very nice) Samsung 46" HDTV (with 120Hz refresh rate - amazing for sports and action movies) - called DirecTV to switch to HD. They say it should be an easy swap of the dish and receiver - and will do it for free since I have been with them so long. Guy gets here - says "the new dish is a lot bigger - $120 to install the 'mounting bracket' that's required." I declined.

Related issue: how much bigger is the HD dish vs. the regular def one (that's 1 year old - don't know the model but it appears to be 18" in diameter)? Reason I ask - I bought a (very nice) Samsung 46" HDTV (with 120Hz refresh rate - amazing for sports and action movies) - called DirecTV to switch to HD. They say it should be an easy swap of the dish and receiver - and will do it for free since I have been with them so long. Guy gets here - says "the new dish is a lot bigger - $120 to install the 'mounting bracket' that's required." I declined.

The Slimline reflector is 32.5 in. wide by 22.5 in. high. If you lease a HD receiver from Directv, installation (including the dish) is free. If you want something other than a standard installation (typically lag bolted into the rafters of your roof) there may be an additional fee, but they should do whatever minimum is required to mount the dish. I suggest you call Directv, ask for installation support and explain the situation.

Also, if you get it from a retailer there may be an installation charge. The mast is larger (2 in. OD) to handle the larger dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts