What is required for HD OTA with vip622?

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I took the plunge and signed up today to make the switch from Charter Cable to Dish. I signed up for the HD Bronze package with the Vip622 DVR.

As I understand it, I can receive my HD locals OTA using the VIP622, correct? What do I need to make this work? Some type of antenna I've heard? The installer is coming on Saturday, so if there is anything that need to do, I would like to be ready.

Thanks for any help,
Ed

All you need is an UHF/VHF OTA antenna.

I don't know if the installer would install it for you or not, but if not, just install it yourself, and I'm sure he won't mind running the coax cable with the new cable he is installing for you.

RobertsD said:
All you need is an UHF/VHF OTA antenna.

I don't know if the installer would install it for you or not, but if not, just install it yourself, and I'm sure he won't mind running the coax cable with the new cable he is installing for you.

Can you mount 1 antenna on top of the dish for all the TVs?

There are dish-mounted antennas that would work well in an urban setting, and yes, you can distribute the OTA signals to multiple locations. There are many options. How that is best done in your situation will depend a lot on what equipment you have and what cables are already run. (The 622 receives only digital OTA channels.)

Check this site:

www.antennaweb.org

Enter your zipcode (or better, your exact address) and it will tell you what OTA signals are available to you (channels, directions, distances) and give you an idea of what kind of antenna you might need. A LOT will depend on your individual location, terrain, obstructions, etc. Check the HD OTA forum for a lot more information...

Welcome elee532, BTW... I also have the 622/HD Bronze. Unfortunatley in my area OTA is very marginal, but I am still working on optimizing it. (I just ordered a CM4228.)

Last edited:
I'm 7 miles away from the towers in Dayton, Ohio. I can use a very cheap antenna for the digital channels (others in my neighborhood already do). If I could just mount a cheap antenna on top of the dish it would be perfect (the installation is set for tomorrow).

I originally started with a $20 on top of the tv antenna. It sucked terribly, never get the ones that go on top of the tv, not worth any money.

I took the small one put it in the attic and picked up 3 channels in digital. I upgraded to a 60 or 80 inch antenna in the attic, which helped me get most channels.

I was still missing several, but they weren't that big of a concern. Now I have 3 or 4 tv's setup to connect to the antenna, which degraded my signal pretty bad. I lost several more channels.

I figured since I'm with Dish now and they don't have HD in my area yet I might as well go all out. I picked up a 190" antenna and connected it in the attic. I get the best signal I could imagine from all tv's. Now I want to get a diplexer and join the 190 and the other one in the attic for pointing in two locations. Neither are powered and they are both directional, thankfully my location only has channels in two directions.

Sadly after all I spent on these antennas it's about the same if not just slightly more than I would have spent on a good indoor antenna and I get more channels by far. I pick up channels as far away as 80 miles.

Anyway, my whole story comes down to this, go for the attic antenna if you can, the indoors cost more and don't work half as well.

It would help in the discussion, if you would let us know your location and we could give better advice. I am 30 miles from my local stations and get good reception with an outside antenna from Radio Shack.

In Dayton there is only 1 antenna farm for all the local broadcasters. I can point 1 direction and get all of the DTV stations. That is why I'm hoping to just put a small antenna on the dish and pick up everything I need.

MLB,
The company coming out to your house will prob be Digital Dish. With our company were not supposed run extra lines unless you pay $59/hr. And of which the tech gets ZERO!!! so if ya say ill toss ya $20, 30, 40 if ya hook this up for me he just might. But ya need to remember that this is under the table and is not serviceable by digital dish or dish net

cleve_dnsc_tech said:
MLB,
The company coming out to your house will prob be Digital Dish. With our company were not supposed run extra lines unless you pay $59/hr. And of which the tech gets ZERO!!! so if ya say ill toss ya $20, 30, 40 if ya hook this up for me he just might. But ya need to remember that this is under the table and is not serviceable by digital dish or dish net

Thanks for the info... worst case I can run it myself if he doesn't want to do it under the table.

Thanks for all the info folks. It looks like I've got some learning to do if I'm going to be ready for installer tomorrow.

My zip code is 53704 and it looks like I'm about 11 miles away from most of the digital stations I care about. I'm also about 2 miles away from an airport.

It looks like there are both indoor and outdoor antennas and that they span a pretty wide price array? Budget is definitely a constraint, so I'm looking for the least expensive way to get HD NBC, CBS, and ABC.

Any advice on narrowing down my options?

I was thinking about stopping by my local Best Buy, Circuit City, or AmericanTV. Am I fooling myself by thinking I might be able to get some good advice at the store?

Thanks again!

well looks like ya had issues with your locals....and that your his only pm for tomarrow hopefully his am wont take all day gl to ya hope it all works out.... looks like his been with us for about 8mths or so.... so he should know what hes doin his hit that mark where techs are affraid of getting into trouble by taking tips or cash for jobs under table so enjoy if ya tells ya there is a no line of sight for the 1000 then ask him to do a wing dish elsewhere gl.

cleve_dnsc_tech said:
well looks like ya had issues with your locals....and that your his only pm for tomarrow hopefully his am wont take all day gl to ya hope it all works out.... looks like his been with us for about 8mths or so.... so he should know what hes doin his hit that mark where techs are affraid of getting into trouble by taking tips or cash for jobs under table so enjoy if ya tells ya there is a no line of sight for the 1000 then ask him to do a wing dish elsewhere gl.

Huh?

Not sure who American TV is but you will not get much if any help or good info from a Best Buy, Circuit City or the like. However, at 11 miles, all UHF and all at nearly the same exact heading, you options are numerous, but don't go just by price, this is a mistake. Seeing you think the airport might be an issue the recommended Zenith Silver Sensor might not be perfect. Look into some of these in no special order:

solidsignal.com
Radio Shack Model: U-75R | Catalog #: 15-2160
Zenith ZHDTV1 Silver Sensor
Antennas Direct SR 15
Antennas Direct DB2
Winegard HD 9065P
Winegard PR 9018
Winegard PR 4400
Channel Master CM 4308
Channel Master CM 3022
Channel Master CM 4221A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)