What is taking so long to roll out significantly viewed stations

BCSA5115

Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Delaware
It has been six months since the signing of the SHIVERA ACT of 2004. I was wondering why it was taking so long for Dish Network to allow people to watch their significantly viewed stations? I live in Delaware, and was also wondering if I needed a Superdish to watch Baltimore since it was listed as significantly viewed? :confused:

BCSA5115 said:
I live in Delaware, and was also wondering if I needed a Superdish to watch Baltimore since it was listed as significantly viewed? :confused:
More than likely Yes, I doubt Dish is going to relocate the Baltimore stations from 105 to the main birds to ease significantly viewing. Especially since they are under the gun about the split locals on 61.5 and 148.
I'm in the same boat, as the Baltimore networks are significantly viewed in York, PA. If I feel I want them, I'll just bite the bullet and buy a superdish.

I have a feeling that those superdishes won't be a free upgrade either.

Welcome BCSA.. good to see another delawarian on board.

boba said:
Neither DISH nor Directv are the hold ups it is the Gov't.
DBS providers are free to carry Significantly Viewed whenever they want to ... however the final FCC rules are not in place and they probably don't want to add channels that would have to be removed if they guessed wrong on the rules.

The FCC has stated that there would be no penalty if DBS providers guessed wrong, as long as they followed the proposed rules and list contained in the NPRM.

E* does have other fish to fry at the moment. SV is an entirely optional offering.

JL

They could start popping up very soon, but as Lurker states, Dish and DirecTV are reluctant to add channels to packages just to have to remove them if the FCC's rules change. The real hold up is that Dish and Direct have to give 60 days notice to the station they are planning to carry as SV. So since the preliminary rules came out just about two months ago, they could start to pop up very soon if they want to start rolling the dice.

Remember though that SV is an OPTION for Dish and Direct. It is not mandatory.

See ya
Tony

Is there a list?

Hi,
I was wondering is there a list of these significantly viewed channels? I live in franklin county Pennsylvania and currently I get locals out of washington DC. I was hoping to get the Harrisburg channels cause they are closer to me then Washington is and then I can get my local PA weather. My local cable company (comcast) has the Harrisburg stations so I think dish should give us them too. Any information would be appreciated.

Significantly viewed for Franklin County is:
WGAL (NBC-8) out of Lancaster
WMAR (ABC-2) out of Baltimore
WBAL (NBC-11) out of Baltimore
WJZ (CBS-13) out of Baltimore
WRC (NBC-4) out of Washington
WTTG (Fox-5) out of Washington
WJLA (ABC-7) out of Washington
WUSA (CBS-9) out of Washington

Franklin County, PA, is a completely different issue than significantly-viewed.

The satellite companies can use a Nielsen DMA map from any given year to retransmit local channels. Until the 2004-2005 season, Franklin County was in the Washington, DC, DMA. This year, it is in the Harrisburg DMA. If Dish Network or DirecTV were to use this year's Nielsen map, you'd have Harrisburg locals.

I need to go and find the FCC rulemaking. I don't know if there is anything prohibiting the use of a different year's map for each DMA. If there isn't, I'd be telling you to call Dish Network (or DirecTV for any other Franklin County viewers) and demanding the use of the 2005 map, to get the Harrisburg locals.

That's an idea, call and ask to be switched to the Harrisburg DMA.

I've updated the above listing of Franklin Co. SV's to include the Washington stations as well.
btw, I ran Chambersburg, PA (in Franklin Co.) in Dish Network's locals page. It still shows the Washington DMA. But you can still always ask.

Wouldn't they have to pay extra to get these channels added? If there was that extra expense in adding those channels then that would increase our programming bills.

Hi Folks concerning the new markets. I live in Oneida County in Upstate New York. The County is Split by both the Syracuse market stations and Utica market stations. The Syracuse CBS is the local affiliate for Utica/Rome. But, Rome is considered part of Utica. Utica also has an NBC, ABC & Fox. How will this play out. Currently folks living in the Western part of the county can get the Syracuse locals. Any thoughts? - Thanks

Jackm said:
Hi Folks concerning the new markets. I live in Oneida County in Upstate New York. The County is Split by both the Syracuse market stations and Utica market stations. The Syracuse CBS is the local affiliate for Utica/Rome. But, Rome is considered part of Utica. Utica also has an NBC, ABC & Fox. How will this play out. Currently folks living in the Western part of the county can get the Syracuse locals. Any thoughts? - Thanks

I live in Grafton County NH where the cable co in both towns either side of me offer both the Boston/Manchester NH local as well as the Burlington VT/ Plattsburgh,NY locals. I hope Dish gives us both dma's altho I would be happy just to get WMUR Ch9 at thats are only network affiliate in the whole state.

Bob N1WBD
Grafton,NH (Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous) Oh BTW we don't have cable or hi speed internet. :mad:

Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. I hope they do give me the harrisburg stations soon. I've already asked them about me getting the harrisburg stations and they said currently that I can only get the washington stations. Do you know when they might start adding these stations?

n1wbd said:
I live in Grafton County NH where the cable co in both towns either side of me offer both the Boston/Manchester NH local as well as the Burlington VT/ Plattsburgh,NY locals. I hope Dish gives us both dma's altho I would be happy just to get WMUR Ch9 at thats are only network affiliate in the whole state.

Bob N1WBD
Grafton,NH (Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous) Oh BTW we don't have cable or hi speed internet. :mad:

My in-laws live in North Haverhill and have been waiting for WMUR for a year. I live just across the river from them in Vt and was wondering if we'll also get it or is it just for NH viewers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)