What is the best DVB-S2 PCI/PCIe card for use with LINUX?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
As of now what is the best DVB-S2 PCI or PCIe card for use with LINUX? I know of several choices if running Windows but not so many with Linux. By best I mean which will pick up those difficult signals most reliably?

If you need ACM/VCM then the TBS 5925/6925 is an excellent choice.

If you dont, then any of the stv0900/stv0903 demod cards I'd recommend. The TBS 5980 and the Skystar 2 Express HD PCIe are both around $80 shipped and are excellent cards. The Skystar one is probably my favorite out of all 12 cards I own. Its fast and reliable.

Unfortunately all the cards Ive mentioned wont run on the mainline Linux kernel. I have open source support for all of these in my v4l-updatelee kernel though. Ive also added additional functionality like spectrum scan and IQ plot.

UDL

Thank you, but -

What is ACM/VCM?

What is stv0900/stv0903 demod?

What is the v4l-updatelee kernel?

Are there any cards that work well and will run on the mainline Linux kernel?

Sorry but there were many unfamiliar terms in that post.

ACM/VCM is adaptive / variable coding modulation. It's a new method of changing the system/modulation/fec dynamically on the fly. It's not used very often and only by wildfeeds.

Stv0900/stv0903 are demodulator chipsets. There are lots of cards based on these demodulators and perform very well.

V4L-updatelee is a fork of the mainline kernel that includes many dvb/ATSC changes for better performance and new features.

UDL

The Prof 7301 (PCI) and Prof 8000 (PCIe) work out-of-the-box with standard distribution Linux drivers up to data rates of 67.5 Mbps. Above that you need a driver patch, which is readily available online or in various repositories such as V4L-updatelee. All Linux DVB distribution and repository drivers have bugs. It's the nature of the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts