What is the Best PC based satellite receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Murphdog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I know this will be based on personal opinion based but what is the best PC based satellite receiver? Thanks in adavance!

Last edited:
Another vote for the DVB World USB box :)

HD 4:2:2 and AC3 audio! If it had blind scan it would be Dream Machine :)

I like the Twinhan PCI cards. They are supported by every DVB application I've found plus they don't take up a USB port, less space especially if you are using in an HTPC setup.

FYI... HD, 4:2:2, AC3, etc is all dependent on the PC not the DVB card.

I have both the DVBworld usb box and Twinhan cards, and while the DVBworld usb box is okay, I'd have to agree with digiblur that the Twinhan PCI card is slightly better. Not only is it better supported by a wider variety of software but it also seem to have a slightly better tuner that's able to lock marginal signals better and maintain a lock on marginal signals better.

If your machine lacks horsepower, the Nexus-s has hardware decoding on board to compensate. It works great with the 4:2:2 feeds in software mode as well. I have it controlling my sg2100 with USALS...overall excellent card. But I am biased!

Twinhan (1020a) has my vote. Works very well here even though all I have is a S-choice crappy .75db noise LNB. HD worked well but thats all the comps job really. I really have to get the boyfriend to get off his butt and buy me a better one. :rolleyes:

BKP said:
Could you expound on this for me..

The card passes the DVB stream to the PC application, whether it be a MPEG2, MPEG4, HD, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or whatever combination you can come up with the card doesn't care. It's just passing raw data. It's up to you to have the correct software and horsepower to decode the stream.

digiblur said:
The card passes the DVB stream to the PC application, whether it be a MPEG2, MPEG4, HD, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or whatever combination you can come up with the card doesn't care. It's just passing raw data. It's up to you to have the correct software and horsepower to decode the stream.

Okay, I see... Thanks...

IF you can find it...............Skystar 2.3 PCI card!

4.2.2 + HD & Blindscan!

Believe that there is a seperate prog that can move a motor.

Good Luck finding one (no longer made; Rev 2.6D is the latest out)

scottc98 said:
IF you can find it...............Skystar 2.3 PCI card!

4.2.2 + HD & Blindscan!

Believe that there is a seperate prog that can move a motor.

Good Luck finding one (no longer made; Rev 2.6D is the latest out)

What happened with that Skystar 2.3... It sounds like a great card especially with a Blindscan..

Check Ebay for a used Skystar 2.3

There are a lot of those cards out there, since they were used for satellite internet.

The Blind Scan software requires the earlier drivers. Hopfully one of the software authors will rewrite the Blind Scan software for the current drivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts