What is the best way to cancel DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryansebiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I want to know the best way to cancel DirecTV. Here's my info:
  • I'm moving cross-country on April 2 and my new apartment only offers Comcast (i.e. no D* dish installs)
  • My DirecTV bill is due April 4 (last payment was March 2)
  • I have a CC on file and am enrolled in auto bill pay
  • My contract expires in July
  • If I cancel now, I should expect to pay an $80 ETF (April-July)
  • I'd like to keep service until end of day on April 1 (for The Walking Dead finale and Game of Thrones premiere)
My questions are:
  1. Should I take the receiver with me, and sign up for the movers deal, in hopes that the installer will not be able to get permission from my landlord to install the dish because of the Comcast agreement, therefore letting me out of my ETF?
  2. Or, should I cancel now before my next billing cycle? If so, should I call and cancel as soon as possible, or wait until April 2?
  3. Should I cancel my CC so that D* doesn't charge me some extrodinary fee such as a triple-digit ETF and I can pay by check? Or will they automatically ding my credit report and send me to collections if I do this?
  4. How do they send the receiver/remote return box to me? USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc? What is the timeframe before they charge me for unreturned equipment?

Last edited:
I would suspend the account along with the movers connection if you can do that. Tell them the situation and that you want to continue but don't know if you can get Directv at your new place. You can suspend up to six months. Maybe something will change in that time frame, like moving to where you can get it. You never know!

I would suspend the account along with the movers connection if you can do that. Tell them the situation and that you want to continue but don't know if you can get Directv at your new place. You can suspend up to six months. Maybe something will change in that time frame, like moving to where you can get it. You never know!
Thanks Chip. That sounds like a good plan - I'll try that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)