What is the best way to setup my house?

csete

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
I was directed to this forum from the DirecTV forum due to Dish's multiroom receivers. That group suggested I get further information from the users of this group.

I'm tired and frustrated with cable and am considering moving to satellite. Over the years, we've collected quite a number of televisions and they are all hooked up and used occasionally. We have two primary televisions (one HD) and 4 other TV's that are on once in a while to watch local news, etc. We currently have standard (older) cabling in the house and I'd like to avoid new cable installations for every television. I'd be OK with cable installation to the two primary televisions, but I'd like to find some way to power the other TV's *if possible*. That brings me to the Dish multiroom options.

So, the question to the group... What suggestions would you make for me for a setup like this? All of the cabling runs converge to one location, so I have that as an advantage. Can I actually place these receivers somewhere completely away from the TV's and then drive the output and remote controls through the cable already in the house? What options might I be missing?

Thanks,
Craig

In theory, yes you could. BUT, that opens up another can of worms. For your primary TVs, especially the HDTV, you would need to run an HDMI cable of component and audio cables from the Sat box. You do not want to feed your HD with coax!!! Then, you would have to buy additional UHF remotes to control your primary sets. The fact that you have cables in place may make it easier to re-route them to different locations. It just depends on your house layout, etc, etc.

Yes. I understand that I'm going to want a tuner (DVR) at the High Def TV and probably even at the other primary TV. My assumption is that I can then drive other TV's from those tuners. Would it be possible to do something like this the following?

HDTV -> Multi-room HD DVR -> Drives two other TV's via the current cabling.
Other primary TV -> Multiroom DVR -> Drives two other TV's via the current cabling.

If that is possible, what would it require? I would need "standard" satellite installation to the two primary TV's. What would I need to be able to control the DVR's from the extra TV's and where would I order them from?

Other than the multiroom DVR's, what are the other differences between Dish and DirecTV? For some reason, it seems that I hear very little about Dish in comparison to DirecTV.

Thanks again,
Craig

There are two possible setups for your situation depending on whether or not you want independent programming on the other 3 TVs separate from your main. Here are the possible setups:

1 run of RG-6 from satellite Dish to receiver where it hits a DPP separatator
TV1 is hooked up to HDTV
TV2 goes into a 3 way splitter (may need to have an amp depending on distance to other rooms)
Splitter has runs of existing RG-59 hooked up from other 3 TV sets
This will allow you to watch different programming on TV1 from the other 3 sets but those will all have the same programming

Option 2 independent programming on all 4 sets
2 runs of RG-6 cable 1 goes to 622 HDDVR & 1 goes to 322/625 receiver (322 is dual tuner standard receiver, 625 has DVR)
TV1 from each receiver is run to main TV in the case of the 622 it would be the HDTV
TV2 from each receiver would go to secondary TV

In either case you would need to have at least the two new runs from the satellite dish to the receiver(s) for your installation. Using existing RG-59 for those runs is not recommended and does not always work. If your existing runs are RG-6 then it can likely be done without any new cable runs.

Insofar as the differences between the two services I can't say a whole lot. I haven't had DirecTV while I have had Dish. Main differences are programming & pricing. I'd take a good look at the programming packages that both have available and see what is the best fit for you.

I would need "standard" satellite installation to the two primary TV's. What would I need to be able to control the DVR's from the extra TV's and where would I order them from?

Other than the multiroom DVR's, what are the other differences between Dish and DirecTV? For some reason, it seems that I hear very little about Dish in comparison to DirecTV.

Thanks again,
Craig

First, you probably will be wanting a VIP 622 and a 625 (standard def DVR. You can get an extra remote for each at the Dishstore (link above) or on eBay.

You hear more about DirecTV (D*) because they have been advertising (ballyhooing) the 100 HD channels they are supposed to have by the end of the year. Recently, they have been rewording their ads as to having the "capacity" for over a hundred. The truth is, there just are not NEAR that many originating stations offering HD, so they have been very misleading. Dish has been quiet on that front so as not to promise what can't be delivered. By year end, their capacity will meet or exceed D*. As of NOW, Dish has more pure HD channels for the same price. And for the last two quarters, Dish has been adding more subs than D*. Second, their DVR equipment is superior to D's AND, you being a new custormer, can get the equipment FREE, unlike D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)