what is the difference between HD vs. HD premium?

Happy hopping,
If you have just one dish on your roof and it is a Dish 500 you are NOT receiving programming from the correct satellite dish. You need to get upgraded to the proper Western Arc or Eastern Arc dish. The Dish 500 only gets the 119 and 110 orbital locations and neither of those carry the HD programming. Call Dish and tell them you need to upgrade your dish to get HD programming.

thanks everyone. I am going to un-subscribe on the HD next month. I have American 120. And Dish only have 2 channels that is in real HD. USA 105 and Sci Fi.

The rest of the channels, take CNN for e.g., when I switch to it, it says "HD Partial Zoom, SD normal", and none of the remaining channels has a spell out separate channel as HD, for e.g, with Sci Fi, they have:

122 Sci Fi HD
122 Sci Fi

with the other channels, using CNN as an e.g., it is the way it was before:

200 CNN

==============

when I switch to 122, it says

HD: Stretch
SD: Full Zoom

so I assume that means a real HD channel

with all the other channels, it doesn't look like HD at all, and the word HD does NOT appear at the top right corner like the way that Sci Fi HD is shown.

In the end, I'm not going to pay 2 to 3 channels for an extra $10

The problem is on your end if you are not getting the channels in HD. Every package is the same. If you get HD for life, then every channel in the package that is in HD will be available in HD. Using your example, CNN is definitely available in HD in the 120 package, so I would check your set-up. Are you aimed at the correct satellites to get all the HD channels? Are you using a list you made on the receiver and forget to include the HD channels?.....
In addition from trying to follow your post, a channel being received in HD should show as "Normal" not stretched or zoomed etc... so I am wondering if you are even connected correctly to get HD from the receiver.

I done that already. Under All HD, it shows 101, 105, 122, 138,140 and all those stupid pay movie channels in HD
Sounds like you gain a couple channels with each look.

What does your receiver say when you do a System Info (menu-6-1-3)? Does it see three satellite slots or does it see less? Does it report any errors?

They gave it to me also, I had just recommitted right before free HD and they took care of it. I am not on auto-pay.

As far as the Western Arc Dish is concern, is there a bigger one? Some1 told me that there is a 1000.5 that get give me better signal? The standard installation seems to give you only the 1000.4 dish. Any1 knows more about this?

My 1k.5 is a "plus" reflector with a 1k.4 EA LNB assembly and arm attached. The 1k.4 WA assembly & arm WILL interchange with the "plus" reflector, making it a 1k.5 WA. I don't know if Dish officially supports the 1k.5 WA setup yet, but seems plausible.

so for Western Arc, the best 1 that DishNetwork should install at my place should be the Dish 1000.4 Dish Pro Plus ?

What do you get from 1000.5 vs. 1000.4 anyway?

Well, if your installer still has stock of 1k.2's, that's what you'll get. There's not much difference, IMO, between SS on the 1k.4 and the 1k.2. I think the only reason Dish is going to the .4 setup for EA & WA is to simplify things a bit.

With 1k.5, my SS is up maybe 5 or 6 points, which really only helps with rain fade, nothing else. BTW, the only reason that I have a 1k.5, is because I had a 500+ laying in the garage, and decided to experiment with it.

There is not a signal strength problem on WA.

I have an ancient D1000 dish vintage 2006 and it pulls plenty of signal that I very rarely have rain fade and then only in torrential downpours or 1/2 inch of ice on the reflector or lnbs - not to worry, but make sure the tech peaks and re-peaks the dish before you let him leave. They have been know to get signal and leave it at that, not peaking for max signal.

Okay, I was told that the 1000.4 is 10 to 15% signal strength stronger than 1000.2, true or not true?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/237223-1000-4-western-arc-dish-coming.html

1000.4 Western Arc Dish Coming Soon

Just giving you guys a heads up that we(on the western US) are gonna start installing the 1000.4 Western Arc Dish in place of the 1000.2 starting at the top of the year. I've been told by my trainer that there will be an increase of up to 10-15 points on the signal strength depending on the transponder. Southwest region is getting this dish and lnb first.​

Last edited:
There are several ways to peak and repeak the 1000.4 sat dish. THere is the traditional way of picking elevation and then aiming at the 72.7 sat. Then there is the elevation bolt that can be adjusted to peak even further the dish. Then there is the azimuth cam that you can adjust a few clicks to either left or right to maximize the signal on both 72.7 and 77 sats at the same time. It is a much more time consuming dish to install, if you do it correctly. It took me quite a while to do it the first time in 08. I had to reinstall it on the pole after hurricane Ike, because I took it down to prevent damage. It didn't take as long that time and I followed the instructional manual line be line, to make sure I didn't miss anything and I could maximize my signal. I get great signals on both 72.7 and 61.5 sats, any where from 50-78. The 77 sat is the oldest sat and the weakest,but I still get 45 - 50 on that sat too. This will improve once the new sat is launched and replaces the old one at 77, come this summer.