what is the difference between ViP 722K vs. DuoDVR 625?

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
722 HD dual tuner dvr with built in OTA tuner record 2 sat HD channels and 1 OTA channel at same time

722k Same as 722 but dual OTA tuner add on module instead of single built in OTA tuner

625 SD dual tuner dvr record 2 SD channels at same time

Joey only works with and in conjunction with a Hopper. It has no tuner, it allows for playback of recordings or tuners in HD from a Hopper only

Yeah, that's lots of info. Probably happy hopping would be just as happy if he knew the one most salient difference, which is that a 625 is an SD receiver, while the 722 is an HD receiver.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

In terms of functionality and menus they're practically the same but with the 722k you can record HD on both tuners, watch HD on TV1, SD on TV2, use external hard drives, install dual OTA, connect a Sling Adapter, plus the 722k has a much bigger hard drive and a much better remote.

thanks for the reply.

1) what is OTA?

2) And with the price difference of the Hopper not a huge difference vs. 722, why not just go and buy a Hopper at ebay?

3) Do you need to buy the Joey if you own the Hopper?

4) And I access the above link on the 922, there is no info on the spec. of 922 neither. Is it just the bigger hard drive from 922 to 722? Or is there something else? Can it record more than 2 HD channels at the same time?

Last edited:
1) what is OTA?

It stands for Over The Air. The 722 has a single HD OTA ATSC tuner. The 722k and 922 have zero OTA built-in tuners, but a two-tuner module can be added.

2) And with the price difference of the Hopper not a huge difference vs. 722, why not just go and buy a Hopper at ebay?

Well, most people recommend leasing at zero cost up front, in return for a 2 year commitment. The monthly fee is the same regardless of owned/leased. The Hopper and Joey costs more in fees per month than a single dual-tuner receiver. These older receivers are obsolete and aren't even manufactured any longer. The Hopper and Joeys are, as is the 211z. Oh yes. The Dish dual-tuner receivers have a quirk: the TV2 output, while independent from TV1, is SD only. The TUNERS are all HD, but you can't get HD out of TV2, period. The Hopper and Joeys are HD all the way.

3) Do you need to buy the Joey if you own the Hopper?

I don't know! Generally people lease them both.

4) And I access the above link on the 922, there is no info on the spec. of 922 neither. Is it just the bigger hard drive from 922 to 722? Or is there something else? Can it record more than 2 HD channels at the same time?

The 722K and 922 with OTA module can record FOUR programs at once, assuming 2 of them are OTA channels. The 722/k has a 500GB hard drive, while the 922 has a 1TB drive. The Hopper has a 2TB drive. The 922 also has the more modern "tiled" interface similar to the Hopper. The older receivers have a more turn-of-the-century look.

Last edited:
"...I don't now! Generally people lease them both...."

I believe this was meant to be:
I don't KNOW! Generally people lease them both.

Forget the ViP922. Yes, you could buy one, but it is leaving the scene and has a bad reputation. It would seem to be stable today, but you'd be better off with a Hopper.

Oh yes. The Dish dual-tuner receivers have a quirk: the TV2 output, while independent from TV1, is SD only. The TUNERS are all HD, but you can't get HD out of TV2, period. The Hopper and Joeys are HD all the way.

Okay, the other person who replied on page 1, say I can record on HD on both TV1 and TV2. And we are recording inside the receiver right? So if you can watch a 3rd HD channel, and want to record 2 HD shows at the same time, shouldn't the unit knows how to record the HD signals to save them in 2 separate program?

For those who own that unit, how do you deal with it?

As to the Hopper, is there some sort of requirement in order to run it? Like you have to contact to the internet at all time? Because what if your internet box is at the basement and your TV is on 2nd Floor, and who's paying for the bandwidth ?

Okay, the other person who replied on page 1, say I can record on HD on both TV1 and TV2. And we are recording inside the receiver right? So if you can watch a 3rd HD channel, and want to record 2 HD shows at the same time, shouldn't the unit knows how to record the HD signals to save them in 2 separate program?

As to the Hopper, is there some sort of requirement in order to run it? Like you have to contact to the internet at all time? Because what if your internet box is at the basement and your TV is on 2nd Floor, and who's paying for the bandwidth ?

All the tuners record in HD. The dual tuners OUTPUT for TV 2 is a modulated SD signal. These were made to send an HD signal out of the tuner 1 output to an HDTV via hdmi or component cables in the same location as the receiver and send a modulated SD analog signal from the Tuner 2 OUTPUT to a remote tv via coax.

Assuming you are not recording with an OTA chanel, the Two internal Sat tuners can both record in HD but you will not be able to watch a third HD SAT chanel live fromt he duel tuner receiviers ( 722K for example) You can watch a OTA HD chanel or a recoded HD program with the two internal tuners are recodrding something difforent though.

All the tuners record in HD. The dual tuners OUTPUT for TV 2 is a modulated SD signal. These were made to send an HD signal out of the tuner 1 output to an HDTV via hdmi or component cables in the same location as the receiver and send a modulated SD analog signal from the Tuner 2 OUTPUT to a remote tv via coax.

The TV2 signal can also go out via composite. That's what I did when I had a 722K. I bought a 25' composite cable set from Monoprice and used that for my basement set. I also used the coax output to another tv in our bedroom which is upstairs.

Because what if your internet box is at the basement and your TV is on 2nd Floor, and who's paying for the bandwidth ?
Dude, you're not serious are you? You're starting to sound like a troll. :confused:
You only pay for what comes in from the outside, all inside network activity (i.e. LAN) doesn't count towards any caps. :rolleyes:

The TV2 signal can also go out via composite. That's what I did when I had a 722K. I bought a 25' composite cable set from Monoprice and used that for my basement set. I also used the coax output to another tv in our bedroom which is upstairs.

I heartily agree with this, with one caveat. The good: From an HD channel, you'll get DVD quality coming out the TV2 composite outputs. This is usually scaled up pretty well on an HDTV. The bad: No way to set the aspect ratio to anamorphic widescreen on TV2 outputs, unless you're in solo mode which kind of defeats the purpose of TV2. :(

I heartily agree with this, with one caveat. The good: From an HD channel, you'll get DVD quality coming out the TV2 composite outputs. This is usually scaled up pretty well on an HDTV. The bad: No way to set the aspect ratio to anamorphic widescreen on TV2 outputs, unless you're in solo mode which kind of defeats the purpose of TV2. :(

Yeah, that ViP722 series has a lot of drawbacks. Really time to move up to the Hopper series. :dev

;)

It has 2 drawbacks, none of which involve losing timers, recordings, or EHD content. ;)

Works perfect for me in single mode with a sling350 sending HD signal around house over internal network to a couple of wdtv boxes with slingplayer app