What is the difference in these DVR Models?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dslchiphead

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Grayslake, Illinois
I am looking at the DirecTV R10 and RCA DVR80 receivers. The DirecTV R10 model does not seem to be in abundance yet at DirecTV sales web sites but it looks like both of these models are the same, at least it's looks. Can someone tell me the difference? And how does the Hughes SD-DVR80 compare to these other units? The specs look the same but the physical box itself is different.

Also, I really like Hughes receivers (I own 3 now) and disliked RCA units but looking at their HNS site and other sites, it says Hughes is out of the receiver hardware business. I was disappointed. But to date, I still see a lot of web site still selling Hughes equipment. Is it that there is still a huge supply around and once that dries up there will be no more Hughes receivers?

Thanks!

The DVR80 can be equated to "last years model." I picked up the R10 last night and the unit is impressive. It is VERY FAST compared to my DVR40, feature the 6.1 TiVo software and folders. I have heard from family that this software will be coming to the other units, but will not enhance speed.

This is a Thompson (RCA) unit. but all they really did was rehash what was done on all other DirecTiVo units.

I would get the R10, over the DVR80 it is available.

Welcome to Satelliteguys dslchiphead!! :welcome

They probably changed hard drives from IDE to SATA.

Thanks for the information guys! Very helpful. So over a short time as the current stock depletes there will be no Hughes branded DirecTV receivers. Correct? One think I liked about staying with the Hughes line (I have 3 units now) is that when I go to another receiver at home, it's the same look and feel for it's interface.

I see that DirecTV is now a group of three companies and the new receivers will only carry that brand name. Will RCA cease producing under that name as well? Will all the receivers under DirecTV brand run the same firmware and therefore the same GUI then?

Oh yes, slacker9876 where did you purchase your R10? I can't find them (yet) on any web sites.

Thanks,

-Dave

All the DTivos look the same and function the same. In fact, you get the same peanut remote.

Circuit City has the R10 as well as Value Electronics. Since you're a Satelliteguys member you get a 10% discount at VE.

Yup!

CC or VE, I got mine at CC because I wanted it NOW :) sometimes it just goes that way. I am actually getting ready to head to my basement and try the software on another TiVo to see it kernel enhancement or hardware ... perhaps it is both, I'll know more in the morning.

The R10 has the new software version on it. The Hughes will be getting it in a month or so. Also, the R10 is newer... that's always worth something. Faster processor I guess, and looks worse than the Hughes. They're pretty similar. The user interface is exactly the same (at least after the ones besides the R10 get updated).

da_smush said:
The Hughes will be getting it in a month or so ... that's always worth something. Faster processor I guess, and looks worse than the Hughes...
Do you mean the Hughes DVR (SD-DVR80) will getting the new software or they are coming out with some new hardware in a month or so?

When you say the R10 "looks worse" you mean the physical look? If yes, I agree. From a web page with a picture of it, it does look cheap. But pictures can be deceiving.

No one has directly answer the question of if the Hughes receivers as we know them today will be history as everything will be branded DirecTV. Is that correct? Also will the fairly large selection that we had from RCA, Hughes, Samsung be narrowed down to just a few as marketed by DirecTV?

I still confused with this re-branding. My personal opinion was that Hughes firmware/hardware was much better than RCA receivers (non-Direct DVR's as I understand that all DirecTV DVRs software/look-and-feel are the same for DVR from Hughes and RCA).

Sorry for all the questions!

Re the note that says the Hughes will be getting the new software in a month or 2. Does it get automaticly downloaded off the satellite or phoneline?? How will it improve the unit,and does this include the DVR40?

It's funny that you guys like the look of the Hughes better than the RCA or D* R10, I actually feel the opposite. I really hate how the hughes look, especially on the HD-DVR, For $999 they could have made it look much nicer in my opinion.

Now what has me confused is this, D* decides to make there own boxes. This leaves us the consumer with basically a few options instead of the many we had before. D* comes out with the much anticipated HD-Tivo and it's made by Hughes but branded D*. Then D* comes out with a new Regular Tivo and it's an RCA but branded D* (I think). So should we expect a change to the HD-Tivo anytime soon to look like the RCA box, since the RCA/D* R10 is their newest addition? Or is D* still going to make their boxes using both Hughes and RCA?

CWS_kahuna said:
Now what has me confused is this, D* decides to make there own boxes. This leaves us the consumer with basically a few options instead of the many we had before. D* comes out with the much anticipated HD-Tivo and it's made by Hughes but branded D*. Then D* comes out with a new Regular Tivo and it's an RCA but branded D* (I think). So should we expect a change to the HD-Tivo anytime soon to look like the RCA box, since the RCA/D* R10 is their newest addition? Or is D* still going to make their boxes using both Hughes and RCA?
My point exactly. It is very confusing. And, the HNS (Hughes) web site (HUGHES DIRECTV Systems Support) says "HUGHES NETWORK SYSTEMS NO LONGER MANUFACTURES DIRECTV® SYSTEMS". So another questions is once the inventory is gone, all that will be left will be DirecTV-branded receivers based on RCA internals? I would think the physical look will also be reduced to 1 type also. I would like to know who design the internal system and firmware. I think all the DVR's firmware is the same except for versions.

The look really does not matter, it's what the box has and performs that is most important.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)