What is the largest size dish I can use?

cj9788

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Miami, FL

I currently use a one meter winegard dish on the 119w sat to pull in the Miami spotbeams. I live in Jax FL and the 1M dish works great on the 119w spot 3, but when I recently aimed the dish at 110w to see if the Miami HD feed on spot 12 can lock it pulled in a signal but failed to lock, the signal was to weak.

Since a 1M dish pulled in a lockable signal on 119 I figure maybe a 1.5M or maybe 2M dish could do the same for 110w. I am hesitant on rushing out and buying a larger dish and then they move the HD to 61.5 or 77. But that is another story all together.

What I really want to know is what is the largest dish I can use with a regular DP lnb. I was able to crack open the houseing and mount one on the winegard dish with no troubles (thanks to iceberg for that tip). I just want to make sure I can do the same with a larger dish. As far as I can tell 1M is the largest dish that winegard sells so I would have to buy another make and have concerns as to compatibility with the E* lnb.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I currently use a one meter winegard dish on the 119w sat to pull in the Miami spotbeams. I live in Jax FL and the 1M dish works great on the 119w spot 3, but when I recently aimed the dish at 110w to see if the Miami HD feed on spot 12 can lock it pulled in a signal but failed to lock, the signal was to weak.

Since a 1M dish pulled in a lockable signal on 119 I figure maybe a 1.5M or maybe 2M dish could do the same for 110w. I am hesitant on rushing out and buying a larger dish and then they move the HD to 61.5 or 77. But that is another story all together.

What I really want to know is what is the largest dish I can use with a regular DP lnb. I was able to crack open the houseing and mount one on the winegard dish with no troubles (thanks to iceberg for that tip). I just want to make sure I can do the same with a larger dish. As far as I can tell 1M is the largest dish that winegard sells so I would have to buy another make and have concerns as to compatibility with the E* lnb.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

About the only thing that limits size is money, but you should be able to blow the socks off with your 1 meter on TP1 at 110. Jacksonville receives about a 54 dBW signal strength from that spot. Check your alignment.

Attachments

• E10 South Florida at Jacksonville 54dBw.jpg
    E10 South Florida at Jacksonville 54dBw.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 231
If you using one LNBF, a size of dish wouldn't be a 'problem' - just keep it at proper focal point. So, bigger dish is always better - no limits, but money !

the elevation from the 119 and 110 sat's are different. you just can not swing the dish from one sat to the other without elevation adjustments.. why not just get a 500 dish and get both sats on 1 dish?

The dish was at proper elevation for 110W when I reaimed it. I am on the fringe of the footprint for both (S3 119W and S12 110W) spot beams. Miami is over 330 miles south. The small dish 500 works fine but those spot beams cannot be received on a single dish. Since I was not interested in HD at the time I realized I could get Miami with the 1M dish I only looked into 119w. Now that I may go high def I wanted to see if the 110W spot can be locked using the same set up but as I mentioned above the signal came in but was too weak to lock.

About the only thing that limits size is money, but you should be able to blow the socks off with your 1 meter on TP1 at 110. Jacksonville receives about a 54 dBW signal strength from that spot. Check your alignment.

If you using one LNBF, a size of dish wouldn't be a 'problem' - just keep it at proper focal point. So, bigger dish is always better - no limits, but money !

The 1M dish was impressive on the CONUS transponders 125 max on all. It also improved the spots that carry Tampa Orlando Ft Myers ect. Those were faint on the small dish but great signal on the 1M dish. Spot 12 where the Miami HD's are located did not lock at all max signal was 40 and it bounced.

Since my limit is money would the geo sat 2.4M work with a DP LNB? Or would I need to use the geo sat lnb. If so would the geo sat lnb be compatible with E*?

I use a Dish that is not designed for a Dish Network LNBF.

In my case, it is a 30-inch FTA KU dish and I simply rest the Dish Network LNBF on the holder for the FTA LNB and then tied the Dish LNBF to it with long wire twist ties.

(Someone with more interest in a professional and solid mounting could have had a machine shop weld the ususal Dish LNB mount to the arm of the dish at the appropriate point.)

AFAIK, Winegard is the only company that makes large Dish Network dishes as production items, and they are well designed and constructed.

PS The LNB that is linked in your post would NOT work. You need a "circular polarity LNBF". You can get one that will fit that mounting (i.e. fit the same as the linked LBF), BUT it will not be a "Dish Pro LNBF" - only Dish Network makes those. Whether or not you need a "Dish Pro LNBF" depends on your receivers and switches. If you are using "Legacy switches and LNBFs" then you can use an "FTA circular LNBF" that will fit in that sort of dish without modification, something like:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/DPL2-DishPro-Dual-LNBF.htm

Last edited:
My 1M Winegard is a solid dish it stood the test of sustained 50+ mph winds in tropical storm Faye. It also reduced if not eliminate rain fade on the 119W sat, I can not remeber the las time it went out during a good storm and we get plenty. Unfortunatly winegard does not have a dish larger than 1M. They do not have the regular E* tube on the 1M dish but they did have a soulution by way of inserts. I still had to remove the LNB cover fo it to fit.

I want to try and stay away from a jury rigged attachment if possible.

Kstuart thanks for the info on the LNB in my post. That kind of info is useful!

Last edited:
That size 2.4 m looks nice, but in your case with SB ...I would spend the money if I'll find in your neighborhood (Google's sat maps ?) ) working setup for your 110W SB. It could be dead end with any size of dish. Or ask that owner to check your LNBF and a receiver for your programs - 'rent' a dish for weekend ?

Some down in Mexico City used to get Dish with a 3 meter dish. The only problem they started to run into is with the large dishes they had to start optimizing for certain satellites in the cluster.

That size 2.4 m looks nice, but in your case with SB ...I would spend the money if I'll find in your neighborhood (Google's sat maps ?) ) working setup for your 110W SB. It could be dead end with any size of dish. Or ask that owner to check your LNBF and a receiver for your programs - 'rent' a dish for weekend ?

I like the "rent a dish plan". It really gets expensive if you buy and it's not big enough. Look around in your area for someone with a big offset. Most of them would be pleased to run a quick test for you to check out reception or may already be doing just what you want.

We have a 2.4M Prodelin KU dish you could have for taking it down. It's 44 stories up on a downtown office bldg & would have to be lowered over the side. The local ham radio club offered to come get it, but the landlord wants the job done professionally & wants whoever contracts the job to show proof of minimum $5 megs of liability ins. It originally got up there via helicopter about 10 yrs ago. Post hurricane IKE the bldg. owner now wants all the abandoned antennas, mounts & feedlines removed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts