What is the Max length of cable run?

gohuwa

Original poster
May 25, 2009
oregon
What is the maximum length of cable you can run from house to satellite. Is there a booster you can purchase that will help with runs around 200ft?

The length of the run includes the distance to either the receiver or a switch.

You can extend the run past the 125-150' limit by using bigger (and much more expensive) RG11 cable.

The issue isn't so much signal strength as it is voltage drop for the signaling voltages and LNB power.

Rather than making us speculate about what you might be able to get away with, how about you give us some information about how many receivers and how long the total runs from dish to receiver will be? Because there's usually nothing at the entry point of the house that will regenerate the signal, we need to know the length of the whole run.

You can make a little building and run power to it and place your satellite receiver there close to the dish then transmit your tv signal over the coax to your televisions. You can also transmit your UHF antenna signals through the coax. This way you do not have to worry about voltage drop on the line going from the satellite dish to the satellite receiver.

For over a year, I had a single 722 reciever, 125' of RG6 to a Twin LNB (110/119W), and another 175' from the Twin to a wing dish (129W). I had no problems to speak of, even with High-Def stuff from 129W. YMMV, but it did work in my case.

It's interesting this thread popped up. I just was able to switch from 110/119/129 satellites to the eastern arc because of no LOS for 129 due to tree leaves sprouting that happens this time of year. (Imagine that!!!!????)
The signal from the eastern arc is "less" strength wise than 110/119, but I've had no dropouts during heavy rain or thick clouds. I have two receivers, a 622 and a 612. The dish is 15 feet up, mounted on a C-Band satellite dish pole with about 100 fet of RG-6 cable run to my receivers.
The technician told me the signal strength would be better if we relocated the dish closer to the house and have a shorter coax run from the dish. I have had no issues, SO FAR. And as long as it continues, I see no reason to change the location.

What is the maximum length of cable you can run from house to satellite. Is there a booster you can purchase that will help with runs around 200ft?

If you use solid copper Rg6, like the orange stuff techs use for burial, you will have no problems with 200 feet. No booster needed.

You'd probably be fine with regular Rg6, but the solid copper wil guarantee no problems with signal loss/drop.

If you use solid copper Rg6, like the orange stuff techs use for burial, you will have no problems with 200 feet. No booster needed.

You'd probably be fine with regular Rg6, but the solid copper wil guarantee no problems with signal loss/drop.

Not all orange flooded cable is solid copper. The stuff we use in my office is copper-clad steel. I haven't seen any solid copper flooded cable myself .. not saying its not out there, just don't judge a cable by its color.

Solid copper is NOT necessarily a better medium for RF signal. See more at "skin effect".

What solid copper does bring to the party is considerably better DC ampacity; something you need in abundance in a powered LNB assembly.

What solid copper does bring to the party is considerably better DC ampacity; something you need in abundance in a powered LNB assembly.

Ohms law, V=I*R, Voltage=Current x Resistance. Solid copper has much lower DC resistance than copper clad steel, therefore lower voltage drop at the LNB.

The tech have meant you would have better los closer to the house...the eastern arc signal is not "less" than western arc...mpeg4 simply requires less signal

Ohms law, V=I*R, Voltage=Current x Resistance. Solid copper has much lower DC resistance than copper clad steel, therefore lower voltage drop at the LNB.
Many more words saying the same thing. The important part is that CCS is not necessarily less capable of carrying the RF load since RF travels along the skin.

The tech have meant you would have better los closer to the house...the eastern arc signal is not "less" than western arc...mpeg4 simply requires less signal
Hogwash!

MPEG4 requires less bandwidth, but it needs every bit as much signal since if it does glitch, the effects are often spread out over more frames.

You are correct, MPEG4 requires less data to assemble the frames, the strength of the signal beam needs to be sufficient to create a sufficient SNR that the receiver can distinguish signal from ambient noise, as long as the strength of the signal hitting the LNB (or at the end of a long run the reciever) is sufficient to create a large enough signal strength to noise separation all is good in the world, low signal strength with good packets will loose out to noise confusing the receiver and packets being ignored erroneously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts