What is the point of dual tuner boxes now?

I'd call it a Digital Audio Recorder (DAR). I too would love to have such a device in my car. I often miss something due to road noise or ridiculous fast-talking announcers. Just a 10 second "skip backwards" would be awesome. No rotating disk necessary...

Those with a dual tuner as their first and a single tuner as their second receiver would see only a $2 increase at most (if you didnt have AEP). This would take care of the majority of the subscribers with three or less televisions. They figure those with four or more televisions can afford the extra fees and would affect a very small percentage of customers. I am sure they took a calculated risk on doing this.

I'd call it a Digital Audio Recorder (DAR). I too would love to have such a device in my car. I often miss something due to road noise or ridiculous fast-talking announcers. Just a 10 second "skip backwards" would be awesome. No rotating disk necessary...

A lot of cars have this feature now. My wife's new Chevy Equinox records the last ten minutes of the channel you are listening too. Pretty convenient when I have to take a phone call but something is on that I want to listen to. It'll also do it while the car is off... for example if I needed to run into 7/11 and get a soda real fast, but I was listening to a game on the radio, I could pause the radio, turn off the car and come back within 10 mins and pick up where I left off.

And that's my commercial for the chevy Equinox folks!:D

My wife's new Chevy Equinox records the last ten minutes of the channel you are listening too.
I like it. I have a 2006, but it does not have this great feature.

I read on another thread that the $40 to activate an EHD is per receiver series, not per account as reported eariler in this thread.
Dish is charging separate fees for what (to them) is a different feature. An external hard disk is just an archival medium that extends storage for the VIP DVR series. This fee is per account, and applies to any number of 612/622/722/922 receivers on one account. If you have any 211 receivers, you can convert it to a DVR with a separate fee which is also per account.

Now that Dish is increasing the price for a dual tuner box on your account by 7.00, what is the point of having one now? I have 3 in my house and a 14.00 a month increase is pretty heafty. I spoke with dish about this and they said every one charges for each tuner and they are rolling all fees into one. The first part might be true, but there was never a fee for the second tuner to roll into one. If I have to pay 7.00 for each tuner I might as well get all single tuner boxes to feed my tv's with hdmi's. I use two of the feeds right now off of each of the 222k's to feed my kids beadrooms with coax, which looks like crap on 26" LCD tv's but I deal with it to keep my price down. Also the rep which I spoke to could not explain the 3.00 more fee per box for the dvrs, all he kept saying was there is only one dvr fee now. Maybe I am missing something her, but I wish they would have just done there standard 3.00 per year programming price increase instead of this. I think I am just goint to sell my 222k or trade it for a 211k. Just my 2 cents.
There is a $6 per month "whole house" dvr fee.
The first DVR is free plus the lease fee.
The high fees start with the second receiver.

I have a chart here.
For additonal non dvr dual tuners the fee is $14 per month each.
For additional DVR dual tuners the fee is $17 per mth.
For additonal 512/612 receivers the fee is $10 per mth.

Now if you wan tthree tv's connected to DVR's you can do three model 612's and pay $20 per month in additional outlet fees plus the $6 per month whole house DVR fee.
You may connect up to 6 tv's under the new promo. All that means is the customer no longer has to buy the third dual tuner.

Now there's a catch. Even though 6 tvs are permitted there is a three dual tuner maximum.
However Dish does not allow more than three boxes for 6 tv's.
Example. Lets say you have 5 HD flat panel tv's.
You can have three dual tuners( one would be in single mode) but 5 single tuner receivers is not allowed.....You cannot have say 3 211k's and a 722 either.
Again this is under the promotion. Of course all customers are free to purchase the additonal boxes if they wish.
Confused?
The nuts and bolts of it is this. Once an account exceeds 4 tuners, the max allowed under the promotion is THREE boxes. Keep in mind that under this new set of rules model 512(SD) and 612(HD) count as TWO tuners..Each

There is a $6 per month "whole house" dvr fee.
The first DVR is free plus the lease fee.
The high fees start with the second receiver.

I have a chart here.
For additonal non dvr dual tuners the fee is $14 per month each.
For additional DVR dual tuners the fee is $17 per mth.
For additonal 512/612 receivers the fee is $10 per mth.

Now if you wan tthree tv's connected to DVR's you can do three model 612's and pay $20 per month in additional outlet fees plus the $6 per month whole house DVR fee.
You may connect up to 6 tv's under the new promo. All that means is the customer no longer has to buy the third dual tuner.

Now there's a catch. Even though 6 tvs are permitted there is a three dual tuner maximum.
However Dish does not allow more than three boxes for 6 tv's.
Example. Lets say you have 5 HD flat panel tv's.
You can have three dual tuners( one would be in single mode) but 5 single tuner receivers is not allowed.....You cannot have say 3 211k's and a 722 either.
Again this is under the promotion. Of course all customers are free to purchase the additonal boxes if they wish.
Confused?
The nuts and bolts of it is this. Once an account exceeds 4 tuners, the max allowed under the promotion is THREE boxes. Keep in mind that under this new set of rules model 512(SD) and 612(HD) count as TWO tuners..Each

So the FIRST DVR box has NO DVR FEE at all? Not even the account level DVR fee?

I believe you can have up to a MAX of 6 dual tuner receivers, but can only lease the first 3. Over that you must buy them...

Claude, I have a leased 622 as my main receiver......should I be charged a lease fee ?

My bill went up $17. I have (2) 211ks with EHD (one time fee of 39.99, paid once).

Top 250, Platinum HD, HBO and Showtime, Locals.

My bill gets paid on the 15th. On the 14th, my programming is going to lose the premiums and Platinum HD, and if I have any leg to stand on, I'll lose the lease fee."

You should NOT be paying extra for the Platinum part of HD.
Dish has included the Platinum package in the $10.00 fee for HD.
If this has not happened for your account you need to call and get that fixed.
A few months ago I had Platinum added to my HD account and there is no extra charge you just have to get the right CSR.

. . . when at most what they really need is an output for each person in their household. . .

. . . or less. That's exactly what I have had since day one. Gramma (ch 22) has hers, the kids (ch 44) have theirs all off a 625; we just gave Grampa (ch 55) on a 501, but since he never uses the DVR that may become a 4000 here real soon. And I share a 722 (single mode) in my office and the Media Room, which can also be watched through the media room feed on channel 39 throughout the grounds. Everybody has their own channel out that can be seen on any TV on the property, all they have to do is remember to have their RF remote for their channel. Grampa has three. But even this simple is going to cost now. But as I have posted before I have a plan in place that has already reaped a bit of a reward in HBO replying to my eMail that I am dropping their service to balance the new fees. Netflix, CinemaNow and Vudu are proving more useful anyway. HBO was not amused to say the least. We had a long talk over the phone. They called me.

And on a second note, I have been noticing a drop in HD PQ more so now than a while back on the 722. Which I was told quite a while ago that was acknowledged and going to be fixed in a then future software release. Looks to me that it's gone the other way. A field supervisor that came to the house a while ago was amazed to see the difference from what I could show him. He made it sound like they have no way to actively make comparisons. :eek:

Isn't this how companies start on the long slow decline?

And on a second note, I have been noticing a drop in HD PQ more so now than a while back on the 722. Which I was told quite a while ago that was acknowledged and going to be fixed in a then future software release. Looks to me that it's gone the other way.

I'm glad you noticed this. I posted another message about the dramatic difference in picture quality between my 211k and 722. My wife commented that she remembers the 722 once having as good a picture of the 211. Not any more.

So I'm alittle confused also. I'm a new subscriber to Dish and I just received my first bill. I have a VIP222 and a VIP722 DVR. The only fee I have on my bill is a $7.00 DHA Leased Receiver. Some have been saying there is a DVR fee. Is this included with the package? I subscribe to the Classic Silver 200 with DVR for $37.99 for the 1st year and then $57.99 after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)