What is the point of DVR on 211vip?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You could. You used a splitter for the coax from the cable to run one coax to the vcr and the other to the tv tuner. Viola! Watch something else on the tuner while the vcr recorded something else.

You could also put them in serial. You just had to push the "tv/vcr" button to select which source to watch. ( essentially the tv tuner or the vcr tuner. ) At any rate, back to this century. :D

I have a dual tuner DVR for my main recordings. The 211 is nice for other TVs since you can do the trick play on what you are watching. And for kids rooms you can fill the drive up with a bunch of their shows. Also with HBO I record a bunch of movies for the guest room DVR.

Even if your 211 is your primary TV receiver it depends on how you watch TV. I always start watching the prime time shows an hour or 2 after they started, or the next day to skip commercials. You can watch one show while recording another one, so if you do not need to watch live TV it is still nice.

You are 100% right, Atleast on the Model VCR's I owned.

You could record on one channel and still be watching something else.

Not exactly. With a DVR you could record one program and then watch another on your TV. With a single tuner DVR you can't watch anything live on the TV because it won't tune in the satellite channels. But you can watch a prerecorded program on the DV while you record another. VCRs could never do that.

Don't know why they can't just release a 211 VIP with a build in hard drive. Not everyone wants a HD receiver with two tuners that count as two receivers when they can't run extra lines though. Also when you output to another TV the 722 VIP ext it only connects as SD. A signal tuner HD DVR would be perfect.

Probably not cost effective. The appeal is likely more limited than you think.

Not sure what you mean about running extra lines. Outputs are distinct from tuners. A two tuner DVR allows watching one while recording another, whether or not there is a TV2 output, and likely costs Echostar/Dish very little more than a single tuner would. And it doesn't exactly count as two receivers.

I would love to be able to get a receiver that is dual tuner with DVR or without that can have a EHD added to. I just cant see myself paying $200 to upgrade. A CSR rep told me to "check back after Feb 1". Not sure what exactly that means.

My next question..what is the best size EHD if I were to add to my 211? I currently have one that is 250 GBs. Is it worth me buying a 1tb portable and just using the 250 or am I better off getting a larger one for DVR use?

Thank you in advance

Depends on your use, if you don't get to much during the work week then catch up on the weekends a bigger drive might be more cost effective... try the 250 gig and see how quick you fill it and that should tell you what your usage will be...

On average how large is a 1 hour HD program? Sorry for all the questions.

That's what we are here for... :) average for 622 (your 211 should be close) :30 program up to 1.5 gigs or so depends on bitrate, for an hour above 3 gigs and HD Movies 4 gigs on up...

Thank You. I guess I have some deciding to do. lol
I just really wish there was a way I could just swap my 211 for a different receiver..oh well..I guess I wish I could win the lottery too

Thank You. I guess I have some deciding to do. lol
I just really wish there was a way I could just swap my 211 for a different receiver..oh well..I guess I wish I could win the lottery too

There are other options. If you have been with Dish for a year or more you can probably get a 612 (or 722) out of them for minimal costs with the Dishin it up program.

If you can receive your local channels over the air, you can connect your antenna to the 211 and then you can at least watch/record 2 things at once (one satellite one OTA).

There are other options. If you have been with Dish for a year or more you can probably get a 612 (or 722) out of them for minimal costs with the Dishin it up program.

Ah that is interesting. My 1 year anniversary will be in April. I am actually thinking of calling to complain about the price increase and see if they will do something for me..

I agree, you might get to "Dish it up" to a ViP722(k) for little or nothing, after a year or maybe a bit sooner. If it's your only receiver, you'll save bucks there. And STILL get to feed a second TV, if you wish.

New offers come out tomorrow.

Ah that is interesting. My 1 year anniversary will be in April. I am actually thinking of calling to complain about the price increase and see if they will do something for me..

Might be closer to 18 months for that free Dish'n'Up. Cust serv might be able to give you an indication of your eligible time period.

Ok so I did. I bit the bullet and added my EHD to my 211. I tried doing the Dish N Up and they wanted a 100 bucks. Plus another 100 to install something I could do myself.
I figured this would also save me $ monthly.

Can someone tell me how to set it up so I can fast forward through commercials? I can go backwards but I cannot go forward..it just says "Live TV".
Is this possible?
Lastly, when I go rewind or pause a show, how do I delete that from the hard drive or does the hard drive automatically delete that stuff?

Thank you!

Your hard drive is constantly buffering what is on, not sure what the length is on the 211... but start watching shows 10 or 15 minutes in (with the receiver on that channel)back up to start then you can ffwd thru the commercials. (or set a timer for & do same)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts