What is the possibility of getting an OTA channel Antennaweb doesn't list for you?

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
According to Antennaweb.com I cannot receive ANY digital network channels over the air. I can only get an independent news/weather channel and a PBS channel. That means I have no way of watching any ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox programming. Even though I do love the HD Originals on Voom and the company's philosophy, I do need at least some network programming and my local cable company does offer a HD Package with 16 channels, so I called Voom the other day to cancel. The CSR was very adamant that I could get my local networks' OTA broadcasts, I just needed a larger antenna. He asked me to reconsider my move back to cable and scheduled a tech to come out next week and upgrade my OTA antenna (I currently have the basic Sensar model). Is there really any possibility for me to get these channels when even Antennaweb says they are just out of range? I live in Allentown, PA which is about 50 miles north of Philadelphia where my locals all broadcast from and, as anyone who has visited PA knows, the area is very hilly (I actually live in the Lehigh Valley area). I love Voom and would love to be able to keep them, so I am giving them the chance, but should I really get my hopes up here? Thanks for your advice.

Antennaweb is not very accurate at all. It lists my address as being able to get one digital station, KTVE, that station is not even broadcasting digital yet. Ever since my antenna upgrade last week I am pulling in three ABC DT channels out of Shreveport (75 miles away) and sometimes CBS HD out of Shreveport. Bottom line is get the upgrade and I think you will be suprised what you can get, don't trust antenna web.

kaw

bn107

As I see it, you don't have anything to loose by waiting until the new antenna goes up.

As an aside, my reception improved significantly when I added another 5 ft section of mast to my existing 5 ft. In case your installer misses it, the antenna needs to be several feet above the roof line of the house. Although I was using a fairly sensitive/powerful antenna amplifer combination, I think the biggest effect was in raising the antenna.

Antennae Web Wrong

Antennae web listed me as being able to receive NBC digital. I don't receive NBC digital, but i do receive CBS and KTLA (Channel 5 in Los Angeles) in digital as well at KTLA digital channel 9. I also have a 10 foot mast over a double story house because the terrain from my house raises and the other homes are on the higher side of the hills in Santa Monica, blocking the signal from Mt Wilson 30 miles away. I use an anmplifier plus added height of antennae , but antennae web is totally wrong about channels i receive

AntennaWeb is worthless in my area...

...since they changed the digital station prediction criteria at the beginning of the year. Here is my e-mail correspondence with Decisiomark Corp a while back:

Thank you for your feedback regarding the web site. There was a new version of the site released around the first of the year, and you are noticing some of the changes that went out then. In particular, the digital station prediction algorithm was extensively revised. The digital prediction is now quite conservative as determined by the CEA committee in charge of the web site. They preferred to list fewer stations that are virtually certain to be received rather than list a lot of stations, some of which might not be received. With some specific installations, however, sometimes many more stations can be received than those listed. It sounds like you're in the latter category. The CEA committee has said they will review the algorithm in a few months, so perhaps it will be revised again. We apologize for any inconvenience and will keep your feedback on file.

Thanks,
Deb

Deb Rolfes
Lady Titan
Decisionmark Corp.

-----Original Message-----
To: antennaweb-webmaster@decisionmark.com
Subject: AntennaWeb.org - Problems with your website...

According to your website, I should be receiving zero (0) DTV stations when, in fact, I am receiving DTV stations from:

Washington DC (55+ miles) - receive 7 stations
Richmond VA (51+ miles) - receive 3 stations
Baltimore MD (90+ miles) - receive as many as 5 stations at times

Although Baltimore stations are unreliable, my reception from the other two cities is rock-solid. Antennaweb.org use to be good source of information, but the service had not been accurate for the past several months. I find the information http://www.2150.com/broadcast/ to be much more accurate after acquiring lattitude/longitude from http://www.geocode.com/modules.php?name=TestDrive_Eagle

Here is my home address. Try using it on your website...it doesn't even display the DTV stations in my home DMA of Washington DC:

XXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXX
Fredericksburg, VA 22407

Antennaweb use to be a valuable source of information, but it is now the butt of jokes on forums such as AVSFORUM.COM and SATELLITEGUYS.US.

Please correct at your earliest convenience,

Riff...

Please feel free to voice your displeasure with AntennaWeb.org by sending e-mail to: antennaweb-webmaster@decisionmark.com and DRolfes@decisionmark.com - hopefully, they will unscrew their ditigal station prediction criteria.

Predict this! :down :down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts