What is the process to successfully receive an HDTV specific waiver/

losvideo

Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Central Florida
I've recently e-mailed every department of my local CBS affiliate. No response.

I know they can voluntarily give me the waiver, but I am wondering if anyone knows of the best way to request the waiver so I can finally receive CBS-HD.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

losvideo said:
I've recently e-mailed every department of my local CBS affiliate. No response.

I know they can voluntarily give me the waiver, but I am wondering if anyone knows of the best way to request the waiver so I can finally receive CBS-HD.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Has Dish tried to get waivers for you? I think the provider is supposed to send them in if a customer requests it and I know a lot of afilliates won't even consider waivers unless they DO come from the DBS provider.

I received a reply from the IT guy at the local CBS station in Tampa

After I sent two e-mails I got this reply:
------------------------
To receive our signal I have two antennas as we recommend in the pdf document I forwarded the link to. This is the only way I recommend doing it. I’m sorry, but the fact that you will need to use either an antenna rotor or install a two antenna system does not qualify you to receive a waiver.

The two antenna solution is really not that difficult or expensive. As close as you are to our transmit tower I might also suggest you use a small indoor UHF antenna wired to an RF switch to receive us. Here’s a link to an antenna we’ve found to be inexpensive, relatively small and still directional enough to work for DTV.
http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_Display.asp?cat=49&id=131

FYI… The reason we’re not in Riverview with everyone else is because we were an additional VHF drop-in station in the 60’s when the FCC was trying to fit more stations in communities to provide more network coverage. At the time, many cities like Tampa, only had two stations but there were three networks. WPLG in Miami was already there on Channel 10 and the FCC requires a minimum distance between stations on the same channel. We would not meet that minimum distance requirement in Riverview. We are in fact two or three miles short of it where we are in Holiday, but it was waived. We actually own 90 acres of land in Riverview and have tried three times to move but always have been denied.

I don’t know about Dish Network, but within the next year or less, DirecTV plans to add some local HDTV stations to their systems and I’m pretty sure Tampa is one of the early markets. Other options include Brighthouse Cable and Verizon will soon begin offering TV services including HD over their Fios Fiber networks.
I don’t know if your area is fibered yet or not. Mine is and I already have the Fios service delivering very fast Internet connectivity. I will probably switch from DirecTV to Verizon as soon as they bring their TV services on line in my area, which I understand will be within a year or so.
----------------------

I'm assuming I'm out of luck. But is there another way or is this the only route available to me at this time?

the reason I don't receive CBS is bbecause I'm stuck between the CBS tower and the rest of the others. The others are all together and CBS is on it's own almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

thanks for any help.

losvideo said:
I'm assuming I'm out of luck. But is there another way or is this the only route available to me at this time?

the reason I don't receive CBS is bbecause I'm stuck between the CBS tower and the rest of the others. The others are all together and CBS is on it's own almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

thanks for any help.

I don't know exactly where you are, but I am in NE Clearwater (near Countryside Mall) and I get all local digital channels on one antenna. I have the antenna pointed at Riverview and pick up channel 10 from the backside. The channel 10 signal is not nearly as strong, but does hit in the 90s on my 921. I tried using an additional UHF antenna pointed at Holiday, but had some problems with multipath. So I decided to just accept it as it is...not perfect, but pretty good. BTW, the antenna is a basic broadband with about a 9 foot overall length and mounted about 3 feet above my roof peak. I got it at Radio Shack.

As a bonus...mockingbirds like to sit up there and sing. It's kind of nice to hear when we can have the windows open. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts