What is the -real- info on the new access card??

sigcom

Original poster
May 3, 2005
OK, I told Dish I wanted to keep my distant networks, knowing I would loose the locals. So, on April 17, poof! Locals gone. Understood. Next day, they're back! I didn't question it, just enjoyed having them back.

So, this past weekend I notice a new channel (199?) which is playing a continous video about replacing the access card and saying I'd receive a new one in the mail. Called my son and he doens't have that channel showing in his Guide.

Yesterday I get the new card in the mail.

My questions: Why the new card? If I install it, will my locals go "poof" again?

The reason is Dish is going to a new encryption system

The cards you get in the mail are because you have an old blue card (I have one too)...If you have a new yellow card or a cardless unit you are already set.

Swap it out and call it in.....what will you get once you're done?
You will get whatever channels you pay for right now

So if you have distants, you will keep them

Hey welcome to the site. I changed "411" to info because dish just recently revealed a new model called the 411, and I don't want this thread to be confused for that :D :D

BFG said:
Hey welcome to the site. I changed "411" to info because dish just recently revealed a new model called the 411, and I don't want this thread to be confused for that :D :D

I clicked it expecting to see something about the 411. :) Instead, I got just another duplicate post. :(

welcome to the site. glad you are here.

no worries when swapping the card. the worst that will happen is you will have to call dish and have them rehit your receiver.

BFG said:

Yeah, sorry for the dumb newbie mistake.

And chaddux, I really did try to find an answer in the forum(s) before posting. Guess I just didn't dig deep enough.

Thanks everyone for the help. Now let's see what color smoke comes out of the thing! :shocked

Swap it.

Next month all the premium channel get switched over to the new encription system. Its nice to see Dish saying byebye to pirates.

they will send the new cards in the mail to you. You can activate them online if you have a computer also

It is to hopefully kill the hackers once and for all

The people I spoke with from NiagraStar who make the smart cards tell me that they expect it to be at least 2 years before someone crack the new smart card, they are so sure of it they have guarenteed this fact to Dish Network.

Again I say bye bye pirates! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
The people I spoke with from NiagraStar who make the smart cards tell me that they expect it to be at least 2 years before someone crack the new smart card, they are so sure of it they have guarenteed this fact to Dish Network.

Again I say bye bye pirates! :D
Are you saying, Scott, it already cracked ? :) We seen the cards exactly last 2 years in our PVR. Gmmm !

Smith said:
Are you saying, Scott, it already cracked ? :) We seen the cards exactly last 2 years in our PVR. Gmmm !

2 Years! I sure hope dish got a better warranty than that. Especially since they are embedding the cards now.

Scott, what source did the premium channel cutover date come from? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)