What is the reason to have internet connected to 722?

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
Sorry guys for the question, but can someone explain to me what would be the reason for having something like this
"BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter Up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail"

Connected to a 722, what kind of things can you do? I have a phone connection connected to it. Would it replace that? I also read something about VOD, would this converter also give you the possibility to program the dvr from the internet? Please help undo this confusion:confused:

P.s I already have a wireless router.

That's the unit I've been talking about that I bought. Personally, I bought it so that I could connect my 722 to my wireless network in my house. Since the 722 doesn't come with a built-in wireless solution, I was looking for something that would take a ethernet connection and make it wireless. These type devices are generally called wireless bridges and that is exactly what the Buffalo does. You connect it to your wireless network and then anything that you plug into its wired ports will talk to your router or the internet through the wireless network.

My wireless router is a couple of rooms away from my internet router and modem. In order to get my 722 online, I had to go wireless. I specifically picked the Buffalo because it has 4 ethernet ports on it, allowing you to connect up to four devices to your wireless network. This way, I could have my 722, an xbox 360, a slingbox and/or some other internet enabled device (an HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player comes to mind. I know HD-DVD already has some internet-enabled features, but I don't think any of the players have built in wireless) that's in my entertainment center connected to my network through one $70 device.

With DISH rolling out the new VOD features and the promise of being able to schedule recordings over the internet coming down the road, I figured it was the right time to get my 722 connected and talking with the net.

A homeplug adapter is probably cheaper than a wireless bridge. The 722 will pick up the signal from the AC power and connect.

Dont you guys know that Dish just uses the phone broadband connection to spy on you with those little cameras in the front of the receiver that just happen to look like the IR receptors for the remote control????

Anyways, quick question about this, specifically the HD VOD on the 722. Is the content you view over VOD downloaded to the receiver via the broadband connection or does it still go over satellite. Im assuming broadband , thus that would require the internet access, in addition to removing the phone line fee.

You can use the ethernet instead of the phone line now.

You can use it for DISHONLINE to rent/download movies and get other internet content/features in the future.

You can also use it for WEBSCHEDULING where you can schedule DVR Recordings from the Internet.

You can use the ethernet instead of the phone line now.

You can use it for DISHONLINE to rent/download movies and get other internet content/features in the future.

You can also use it for WEBSCHEDULING where you can schedule DVR Recordings from the Internet.

For "Webscheduling" do you need At&t homezone. Or do you just connect the 722 receiver online, and you are good to go. I know that through dish network you need to wait till the end of the year to use this feature, is this true? Or can you do it know?

Web scheduling is not active yet, but it is a feature that they have announced they are working on. Your guess is as good as mine on when we will get it. I would hope soon since they have now released DishONLINE to some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)