What is the Ultimate satelite set up FTA? and other little questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

greasynails

Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Lincoln NE
Hello, I am complete a complete newby here. Looking around and thinking I should try out an FTA system. If the sky is the limit what is absolutely the best set-up a guy could install? Ku band and C band? Whats better? How do I get the most channels? Do I need a motorized dish for just Ku band or do I want a motorized system for C band as well. Yes I can afford cable/dish television service but I don't want to pay for it no more! I could be spending the money on cooler stuff I think!

what is absolutely the best set-up a guy could install?
Whatever fills your needs. Can be simple single dish capable of C and Ku to multiple dishes and multiple receivers. But it's best to start small and build up the system so as to gain knowledge along the journey. FTA is not 'plug and play'. A good understanding of how all the components work together is a must. A good starting point may be LNB LO Frequency 101 in the FTA MPEG FAQ'a section of the forum.
Ku band and C band? Whats better?
That's up to you, what are you looking for? NOTE: FTA is NOT an alternative source for subscription channels. To see what you may receive take a look at Mikes MPEG Central. There is also TheList here on the forum. (link on the top af all pages here)
How do I get the most channels?
By having C and Ku capabilities. Either motorized dishes or a number of fixed dishes, or a combination of motorized and fixed.
A good starting system today is the Geosatpro microHD / Ku dish/LNBF package offered by SatelliteAv(site sponsor, link on top of the page)
Add a motor to it after you 'cut your teeth'. If bitten, add a C band dish.

As FaT Air, but definately plan for an 8' C-band dish or bigger. Used ones are often free for the taking, or at least cheap. Just have to find one. Can be a big project but lots of fun with good rewards. :)

Welcome to Satellite Guys!

This may sound obvious, but do you have somewhere on your property with a clear view to the Southern Sky? (And by Southern, I actually mean a full view from almost East to West LOL). Satellite signals won't travel through trees and buildings, so one thing you can do at the moment is scope out a nice place with the widest view of the southern sky (dishpointer.com is a great tool to use).

Yes I can afford cable/dish television service but I don't want to pay for it no more! I could be spending the money on cooler stuff I think!
:welcome
why not pay for TV if you can afford it ? what can you get for so little $
less than $3 a day < a beer @ bar
what do you like to watch? what would you miss the most from your pay service ?
good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts