What is the wattage cutoff to be qualified as full power station

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Does anybody know what the wattage cutoff is to be considered a full power station? (preferably UHF)

Reason I ask is there are alot of stations that Dish & Direct don't carry, but they might not be LP's (or CA)

As an example....KWWF 22 UPN in Waterloo, IA is right now 500KW but holds a construction permit for 3000KW (still less than the max of 5000kw)

Once the CP is done, does KWWF (as an example) qualify for must carry?

What is the wattage cutoff? Or as long as you arent a LP (ie: KLKS-LP) or a CA (WBQC-CA) you would qualify?

Iceberg, I'm not sure there is a power cutoff, although I am sure there are others better qualified to comment. From what I understand, the FCC has set certain rules in place for a licensee to hold a Class-A or lower license. Some of the requirements would be, broadcast a certain number of hours, reach a certain percentage of the community, etc. So a station may not have that much power, but if their signal reaches enough of the ADI, and they broadcast enough hours, then they qualify. At least I think that is how it works.

Iceberg said:
What is the wattage cutoff? Or as long as you arent a LP (ie: KLKS-LP) or a CA (WBQC-CA) you would qualify?

Another possiblity is the station might not want to spend the money to get their signal to the POP, If this is the case, Must carry does them no good, Must carry means D* or E* has to carry the channel if their elegible but that also means the station MUST get the E* or D* POP a "proper" signal, some stations choose not too, be it cost or what not.

mattb said:
Another possiblity is the station might not want to spend the money to get their signal to the POP, If this is the case, Must carry does them no good, Must carry means D* or E* has to carry the channel if their elegible but that also means the station MUST get the E* or D* POP a "proper" signal, some stations choose not too, be it cost or what not.

Class A and Low Powered licensed stations are NOT covered under the Must Carry legislation.

John

Actually you can tell by the call sign. Low power stations have -LP after their call letters and translators/repeaters will have a number in their call sign.

In your case KWWF is a full power station at 500KW, thy have asked and received a mondification to boost their power to 3000KW:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

There must be another reason as to why Dish/Direct do not carry (i.e. they decided against must carry, or cannot deliever a good signal to the PoP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)