What is this 1 inch gray cylinder device on this coax?PIC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dishman420

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Mo
and here it is! but what does it do? 20131030_134540.jpg

Could be an attenuator, or a trap, e.g. to cut out cable TV going into your cable modem.

Looks like an attenuator. It changes the strength of a signal passing through the coax.

Edit: TheKrell beat me to it.

Ah thanks I kept running into these but never knew what in the world they were, the direct TV man before me used it on the VHF port on a coax to a 3 way splitter or maybe it was the in/out not sure what it really does or why he put in on there but at least I know the name from some googling it seems it decreases the power going through the wire? so i guess he had too much voltage.

The writing is PPCSHPP3-50 527 I tried googling those numbers came up with nothing

It might have been a trap considering that before DirecTV was there he did have cable so maybe it was a trap and then the DirecTV man instead of taking it off just hooked it up to his Diplexor and called it good makes the most sense to me

Last edited:
To me, it looks like a high-pass filter that our cable co. used to put on sub drops w/out internet or digital cable boxes, &/or on splitter runs to TV's w/out set-top boxes...to keep the (cable modem) low-freq return path from getting "dirty"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)