OTHER what is this 9' steel dish worth ?

style

Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Dartmouth
What would you guys pay for it and how do I remove it without hurting either one of us ?

Has a Hall sensor actuator and the LNB is marked 'Drake' but the labels are so weathered I can't read much else.

If I get it, what can I do with it besides satellite? CAn I put a (unpowered) cell phone external antenna at the focal point, or just put the cell phone there and use a BT headset when I'm far from the tower?

Can I put rabbit ears at the focal point for OTA local digital TV?

What would I need to buy to use this for FTA satellite , assuming it's just a dish and the gimbal, the LNB is bad and the seller does not have any components in the house ? Somebody snipped the coax, can that be spliced with a M-F connector or would I lose too much ?
DSCN6363.JPG
ite ?

I would offer to remove a steel dish at no charge ONLY if it doesn't need to be disassembled for transport and it is in excellent mechanical condition. If you are looking for a C-band satellite dish, I would keep looking... That thing will probably be awkward and heavy beast! If it is a commercial fiberglass model, I would consider refurbishing if it is not warped.

I would back a flatbed trailer up to it and with 3 helpers (or if there is a front loader on the farm), lift off of the pole and transport in one piece with blocking underneath to support the parabola. Steel panel dishes are often corroded in the seams and don't take well to being disassembled / reassembled. Make sure your tetanus is up to date... :eeek

You could use for extreme long distance WiFi or cellular, but it really is only useful for C-band satellite reception. Would be least expensive to replace the linear jack actuator or change the sensor to an optical or reed switch and install either a new LNB or a LNBF and replace all coax with new RG6 quad shield coax (or better).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts