What is this white dot on my screen as of today on all channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Whiteice

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hey all,

Woke up this morning and started watching racing on TNT in HD. First time I have watched racing and it was pretty awesome. I noticed a white dot on the screen that wasnt moving. Whenever I change channels, the white dot stays. When I switch to my cable mode, xbox mode, dvd mode, there is no dot. When I switch back to VOOM mode, the white dot is still there. I have reseted my STB and turned it back on. Let a few hours go by and started watching American Choppers in HD on VOOM and the white dot is still there. I started watching Rides on TDC and same thing. I am now watching Spike TV and the dot is still there.

I am currently on the phone with customer support and the girl keeps asking if I have a LCD or Phospherus (SP?) tv. I told her 3 times its a rear projection TV. She put me on hold 2 times. Then she comes back and wanted me to disconnect everything and reconnect it. I already did this since this is the process they have me do EVERYTIME I have to call in when there are issues. She said that there is nothing further she can do except schedule a truck roll. I explained that I have had service with them for about a month and a half and it is only today that this is happening on all channels.

So does anyone know what is going on? Is anyone experiencing this at all? I was watching VOOM yesterday and last night, no problem. Wake up today and nothing but the single white dot problem. I am a little worried because it is just sitting there, its not moving, so im concerned a bit about burn in if this dot does not go away.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Whiteice

Ok I will unplug it then for 10 minutes or so and see what happens. When I unplug it all, I usually only let it sit for 1-2 minutes like they usually have me do.

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Whiteice

Whiteice said:
Hey all,

Woke up this morning and started watching racing on TNT in HD. First time I have watched racing and it was pretty awesome. I noticed a white dot on the screen that wasnt moving. Whenever I change channels, the white dot stays. When I switch to my cable mode, xbox mode, dvd mode, there is no dot. When I switch back to VOOM mode, the white dot is still there. I have reseted my STB and turned it back on. Let a few hours go by and started watching American Choppers in HD on VOOM and the white dot is still there. I started watching Rides on TDC and same thing. I am now watching Spike TV and the dot is still there.

I am currently on the phone with customer support and the girl keeps asking if I have a LCD or Phospherus (SP?) tv. I told her 3 times its a rear projection TV. She put me on hold 2 times. Then she comes back and wanted me to disconnect everything and reconnect it. I already did this since this is the process they have me do EVERYTIME I have to call in when there are issues. She said that there is nothing further she can do except schedule a truck roll. I explained that I have had service with them for about a month and a half and it is only today that this is happening on all channels.

So does anyone know what is going on? Is anyone experiencing this at all? I was watching VOOM yesterday and last night, no problem. Wake up today and nothing but the single white dot problem. I am a little worried because it is just sitting there, its not moving, so im concerned a bit about burn in if this dot does not go away.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Whiteice
just go to the program guide and then back to the channel it will be gone. It will not go away by merely changing channels, it will stay in the same place and follow you. you do NOT have to unplug your reciever. this glitch has been around for a long time.

Try pressing the "Voom" button and then the "watch" button.

See if that helps. This "spot" may be a problem with the software in the receiver.

After unplugging and letting the STB sit for 30 minutes, the white dot appears to be gone.

Thanks again,
Whiteice

Hi:
Posts like this infuriate me. This "stuck pixel" bug has existed for at least 3 months and VOOM is well aware of it. Yet when a new customer calls up with the problem the CSR acts like he is the first person ever to experience it. Are they liars or are they stupid.
Joseph

Whiteice,
I was having the same problem yesterday. I found that if I turn off the receiver with the remote, wait a couple of seconds for the receiver light to go off , and then turn it back on, the white spot goes away. Much faster than a reboot...

Using the red button on the front right to cycle through the resolution modes will also do it.

The method in post #4 will ALWAYS work, and only takes like 2 seconds

Press the voom button, and then the watch button

(Voom removes the spot, watch takes you back to your show)

Hey guys I have had this problem as well. I have had a line a dot I just turn of the STB with the remote and turn it back and that works.. I was scared as hell when it first happened I thought there was something wrong with my tv but found out it was Voom..

I guess it is time to move this frequently asked question to the Top 10 List...

They may be new CSRs...

jnardone said:
Hi:
Posts like this infuriate me. This "stuck pixel" bug has existed for at least 3 months and VOOM is well aware of it. Yet when a new customer calls up with the problem the CSR acts like he is the first person ever to experience it. Are they liars or are they stupid.
Joseph

although you would think the "stuck pixel" would be a chapter in their training manual by now...

I've had the same thing on my rear projection too. I use the DVI cable. At first I was turning the STB off and back on and that reset it. Now I just unplug the DVI cable and plug it back in and its gone. I wonder if everyone here is using DVI and its a DVI problem. BTW, my white dots kinda look like and "i" and always occur about where the basketball players mouth is on my avatar.

I did not know about this problem with VOOM, I thought it was my LCD projector. Sent it in for repair but they could not find any problem....DUH... it was VOOM. O-well lesson learned. I still love VOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

slick1ru2 said:
I've had the same thing on my rear projection too. I use the DVI cable. At first I was turning the STB off and back on and that reset it. Now I just unplug the DVI cable and plug it back in and its gone. I wonder if everyone here is using DVI and its a DVI problem. BTW, my white dots kinda look like and "i" and always occur about where the basketball players mouth is on my avatar.

For what its worth, I am using the DVI cable on my rear-projection.

Whiteice

Ilya said:
I guess it is time to move this frequently asked question to the Top 10 List...
top 10? Its been the number 2 annoyance next to the now cured microstutter problem for months. Its just a silly problem to have at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts