What is Wrong with Dish customer service

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Lately whenever I call them I have been on hold in excess of one hour

I dropped my dish HD from them months ago because their HD content was crap, and the 921 is a piece of junk.

Currently I have Voom for HD, and dish for basic service since I do not know if Voom will make it or not, but due to the dish customer support I am very close to dropping them, and getting comcast as my backup system.

If there customer support continues like this, they will have lost me as a customer

It's the management

If you compare two companies, one having a great CSR organization and the other like Dish - the difference is the management. Treating your support organization like a cost center instead of a profit center typically causes the company to hire/promote inexperienced CSR management, to hire staff at minimal wage, to neglect their training, to shield them from upcoming developments (causing them to speculate), to limit their time on the phone by rewarding # calls vs satisfaction,to crush their morale thus eliminating any incentive to buy into improving the organization, etc, etc.

If they got the right manager, gave them a decent budget, and tied CSR budget to sales/satisfaction/retention they could turn that CSR group into an incredible asset in a few weeks. An empowered CSR organization would address the more unpopular company policies and either change them, or finess them. Unfortunately, support organizations are treated like a cost center - with cost reduction being the primary concern.

I called them Sunday to order Wrestlemania....hold time less than a minute
Called them last night because I had an issue with the invoice....hold time about 2 minutes

Longest I ever have had to wait in the 4 years of Dish is about 8 minutes :)

My personal experience is that Dish usually takes no longer than 10 minutes but I have been on hold for 20-30 minutes sometimes. IMO I seem to get lower hold times when there is a chance of me giving them more of my money than when i'm calling about a problem.

Though the local cable company here if u call and pick New subscriber your talking live within 2 minutes, if you pick current subscriber try 30-45 minutes of wait so Dish isn't the only one I noticed this trend with.

And yes I know it's the way things work that companies have more people to answer calls when all they need to do is take your money.

Briant73 said:
And yes I know it's the way things work that companies have more people to answer calls when all they need to do is take your money.
Or is it because there are more people calling about complaints than calling for new/additional service?

bbtkd said:
If you compare two companies, one having a great CSR organization and the other like Dish - the difference is the management. Treating your support organization like a cost center instead of a profit center typically causes the company to hire/promote inexperienced CSR management, to hire staff at minimal wage, to neglect their training, to shield them from upcoming developments (causing them to speculate), to limit their time on the phone by rewarding # calls vs satisfaction,to crush their morale thus eliminating any incentive to buy into improving the organization, etc, etc.

If they got the right manager, gave them a decent budget, and tied CSR budget to sales/satisfaction/retention they could turn that CSR group into an incredible asset in a few weeks. An empowered CSR organization would address the more unpopular company policies and either change them, or finess them. Unfortunately, support organizations are treated like a cost center - with cost reduction being the primary concern.

Right on! Most problems are caused by poor management. We blame CSRs for lack of knowledge (lack of training), lack of willingness to do something to resolve the problem or satisfy the customer (lack of authority), poor quality of products (purchase decisions) and bad attitude (pay, benefits, morale).

All caused by management. While it is true that there are bad apples in any organization, it is management that is the root cause. They are probably having a meeting right now on how to reward themselves for a good job and if they should replace the rower in the crew team for not rowing hard enough to please the 9 managers doing the directing.

JohnP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts