what is your opinion on google maps

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
with india being the second country to complain about google maps being an aide to terrorism, what are your opinions on google maps.

my opinion is they have the right to do it, but i do strongly agree that they should get rid of the satellite maps. i think that the terrorist will use this against the world in some way. the detail of the maps are very good. i know google will not take them down, but i believe they should.

Google maps is great and I don't think we should pull a product that many good people are finding useful just because terrorists are using it, that's crazy...

yeah because nobody had access to maps until googlemaps...

Terrorists aren't being aided by googlemaps, they use paper maps so they can write on them and carry it with them. Now that "Subway map on your ipod" thing I read about last week, that has no value to anyone BUT terrorists...

I use googlemaps all the time to pinpoint locations, but I doubt the local terrorists are looking to bomb my bike shop or the grocery store, and you can see the nuclear plant for miles just by looking to the horizon...hardly need a map, follow the smoke...

I think google should make it so that we can go one level deeper. I would like to see my dish on top of my roof. That would be cool.

korsjs said:
do you agree it is a useful tool for terrorists?

I agree. It can be a useful tool for terrorists. By the same token so are the following items:

Matches,
lighters,
Butane
nails,
ammonia,
anything with nitrates especially fertilizer,
backpacks,
electrical wiring,
capacitors,
electrical switches,
altimeters
timing devices,
rental vans,
road signs,
paper maps,
any identifying marks on any building,
cameras both video and still.

Do you agree that any of these items is a useful tool for terrorists?

Useful tools should never be eliminated because of the threat of misuse! Think of any item and then think how it can be misused to injure or kill. We would not be allowed anything!

Personally I use google maps to site-survey high school stadiums I plan to do video productions in. This lets me know where I can park the production truck and where I might be able to place cameras and run cables without having to run out there.

See ya
Tony

I think Googles interface is the best out there. As far as terrorism is concerned, there are multiple sites to get satellite imagery, ie TerraServer. I think some areas have been removed from Satellite sites due to security concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)