KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I have been thinking about this for a long time. Now I am finally doing it. I am just curious about what people use for TV programing. Where it is Satellite and what company since there really is only two(2). Maybe it is Cable or OTA only. Also I would like to know if you want to tell more as why you chose this route.

Do you have Satellite because you got mad at cable(that is if cable is available to you), or the other way around. Do you just have OTA(Antenna) because you don't want to pay for TV. Do you have FTA for the same reason. Well you get the picture. I am just curious as to what is the most popular.

Like I said before I put Dishnetwork and Directv as options and I am putting Cable as one because there are so many cable companies.

IF it is other I forgot something let me know what that is in a post.

Opps I almost forgot to tell you what I have and why. I have Dish Network. I do not have access to Cable out here in the country. I have a FTA set-up and I have an OTA antenna. However my primary source is Dish Network. Most of the channels I pick up OTA, I get in locals pack from E*. So most of the time I watch Dish Network, however I love to play with FTA.

Well why do I have Dishnetwork and not Directv. Well first of all I install both systems everyday. However in my personal opnion. Dishnet is cheaper and is way more user friendly. Yes they do have issues but so does Directv(remember I see them everyday), but I like the more HD on Dishnet also. And I could care less about paying a bunch extra for Sunday Ticket on Directv.

Last edited:
I have been very content with my OTA antenna and a HDTV. I use Sony DHG-HDD250 HD-DVR with no subscription fees. I watch several network HD shows like 24, House, Prison Break, CSI, Numbers, Shark, etc. Keeps it pretty simple. For movie needs, I just rent from Netflix.

I am not a big sports buff - so ESPN, etc. are not really needed. I do wish I have HBO since I would like to watch Real Time with Bill Maher.

I know a couple of folks and I'm sure a lot of people do, that still, either won't or can't afford pay TV, but with an OTA they are quite happy.

I picked OTA because much of the stuff I watch comes in OTA but I do have dishnetwork with old HD pack, HBO and Showtime, add in a DVR and there is more on than I have time to watch.

I was mixed about where to put this thread claude, where do you suggest I put it?

We use mostly cable in our home. And, there is smidgen of FTA. But, now, we have a Sony LF server set up in Japan. As soon as the MIL gets her fiber ISP installed, and we add an LF client so no PC is necessary on this end, I expect that to be the source of at least 50% of the TV programming in this household.

I use the following in descending order

1) SC
2) FTA
3) ota

If I had to I could live with just fta & ota because we buy allot of tv show sets on dvd. I seriously doubt I will ever sub to D* or E* again (unless their price structure changes). I was with D* since 1994 or 1995 (paid $1000.00 for my first system)

So far this looks to be about what I had figured. Keep the replies coming I find this very interesting.

I have a big dish with 4dtv and dvb (FTA) I use my 4dtv to get my movie channels and boxing and I use my Pansat for other programming.

I tried all other salellite systems Dish, Bell, DTV and Star choice I never really liked them, most channels have crap picture and the sound is poor, and I find I watch TV mostly when it's raining very hard outside and you can't do that with a pizza dish, oh and pizza cost to much money for the programming I want and you get less than half the channels not worth it for me.

I find it interesting that no one has voted FTA, yet a couple post lead me to beleive that is the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)