What kind of deals are out there for SBC customers

Thanks for the link. I already have sbc's DSL, and cingular coincidentally, and also just ordered Dish network. Think they can give me an even better deal by bundling these services together?

KDRE said:
Thanks for the link. I already have sbc's DSL, and cingular coincidentally, and also just ordered Dish network. Think they can give me an even better deal by bundling these services together?
If you go through SBC, you can get a $4 discount plus some further discounts on your DSL and Cingular if you decide to make them part of a Total Connections bundle.

I just signed up for DISH through SBC and was installed this past Friday. I got the 522 DVR and two 311's with the AEP package including locals, Superstations and FOX affiliates from Houston and LA. It's been working great thus far. :)

I'd say give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Good luck.

By the way, from what I was told, SBC won't be carrying the new 625's or 322's anytime soon. If you want the newer boxes you'd need to go through DISH, or a retailer.

I'm also a SBC Customer who had DISH for about one 2 months before jumping ship to VOOM. I called SBC DISH about a week ago to see if I could get the DISH 942. They said they don't offer the 942 yet. I can only get it if order it directly from DISH. I also have SBC DSL and their long distance plan. I think we'll sign up for Charter Cable (ugh!!) fofr about a month to see if we like it, if not cancel after 30 days and see what DISH or SBC DISH has to offer.

I called dish and got the 625 and 811. I had already had cingular and dsl. It just so happened that I seperately had these services conincidentally.

should I call sbc and ask if they can combine the bill, and maybe they'd give me a discount?

They probably won't carry the 942, as they are releasing their own Dish-compatible 2-tuner HD DVR. Even though it receives and decodes Dish signals, it is not designed or manufactured by Dish, which is a HUGE advantage from the get-go.

Plus, it hooks up to your home network and SBC DSL line for more accurate programming info, and playback of your PC media files through your theater. I believe it will allow playback of DVR events on your PC's. I will really enjoy the ability to set DVR timers via the Internet, if I see at work that there's something I want to watch later, but won't be home in time to set the timer.

The bundled SBC savings and rewards are just icing.

Check out this sweet box which is supposed to be available later this year for subscribers who have both SBC Yahoo DSL and SBC|DISH.

Check out the links:

I can't post the links yet. :no

Just do a google for 2wire and lightspeed. Click on the 1st link and then click on "new set-top box" for info and pics of the box.

From 2wires website:

"Press Release

SBC Communications Announces Joint Venture to Launch Home Entertainment Service for SBC | Dish Network, SBC Yahoo! DSL Customers

Service combines satellite TV programming with Internet-based video on demand, music on demand, Caller ID, digital photo-sharing and remote access

San Antonio, Texas - January 3, 2005 - SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE:SBC) today announced it has formed a joint venture with 2Wire Inc. to deliver a home entertainment service that integrates satellite TV programming, digital video recording, video on demand, and Internet content including Yahoo!® Photos and music via an award-winning new set-top box - and ties it all together with the familiar and intuitive SBC Yahoo! user interface. The joint venture is part of a two-pronged SBC video strategy to extend home entertainment video services to customers through either high-speed fiber or DSL.

The service will combine content delivered by broadband and satellite into one easy-to-use package, giving consumers a powerful new way to extend the SBC Yahoo! DSL experience beyond the desktop to bring entertainment content to their TV screens and stereos. Today’s announcement builds on the recently announced expanded alliance with Yahoo! Inc. which calls for the companies to extend the SBC Yahoo! customer experience beyond the desktop. The offering will be available to customers who have both SBC | DISH Network and SBC Yahoo! DSL services. It is expected to roll out in mid-2005...."

GaryPen said:
They probably won't carry the 942, as they are releasing their own Dish-compatible 2-tuner HD DVR. Even though it receives and decodes Dish signals, it is not designed or manufactured by Dish, which is a HUGE advantage from the get-go.

Plus, it hooks up to your home network and SBC DSL line for more accurate programming info, and playback of your PC media files through your theater. I believe it will allow playback of DVR events on your PC's. I will really enjoy the ability to set DVR timers via the Internet, if I see at work that there's something I want to watch later, but won't be home in time to set the timer.

The bundled SBC savings and rewards are just icing.

As soon as this is released, Im returning the 811

This is great news!

here's more
MediaPortal records and stores up to 180 hours of SD programming, up to 25 hours of HD programming, or any combination of the two on its huge 250 GB hard disk drive

Moreover, the MediaPortal digital media server/set-top box will allow users to access photos and music and to schedule their DVR remotely from any Web-connected computer through the SBC Yahoo! user interface – a future enhancement will allow remote access through Cingular Wireless phones.

MediaPortal organizes and stores your entire personal digital media library on an internal hard drive. Browse and manage your digital music and photo collections using our intuitive remote-controlled user interface. The built-in DVD/CD drive lets you play, read and burn DVDs and CDs

The big questions is when when when.

I know that a whole bunch of people in SBC areas want this box. I have held off buying an hdtv (either dlp or sony rear projection lcd) until this box come out. The only thing I can find for a release date is the first half of the year. That is quickly approaching.

Scott saw this at ces and said it was amazing. It made me drool to see how advanced this box is. I want one. Anyone know when?

Remember, it will ONLY be available to SBC Dish customers. Regular Dish customers are SOL. To sign up as a new customer with SBC Dish, you cannot have been an active Dish customer for at least 6 months, according to the SBC website. (Although, I once saw a post or PM from a supposed SBC CSR, who said the period is only 3 months!)

I've cancelled Dish effective at the end of the month, mostly due to moving to a TH with poor LOS. But, once SBC releases this thing, I will damn sure find some LOS!!!

BTW, I've listed my 811 and 721 in the SatelliteGuys classifieds, FWIW.

Time Warner charged me $9.95 per box/month for their SA Explorer dual tuner DVR. So, I would think that SBC would lease the box for at least $10 per month and probably have you sign some type of a contract at the same time. SBC will hopefully give discounts to those of us who have their Total Connections bundle and hopefully make it an easy upgrade path from my 522 to the new box. However, It's all speculation on my part at this point.

jollygrunt I am in the same boad as you I haev a 522 and am just waiting for the mediapoint to come out.

My other questions on the box is obviously it has dsl capabilities, but I don't have an ethernet port near the tv. Do you think this box can connect wirelessly to the internet right out of the box or do you think a wirelss bridge will be necessary?

Apparently the mediaportal's got Wifi built-in.

From 2Wire's mediaportal website:

Other Interfaces:
Ethernet (RJ-45 10/100 Base-T)
Wireless (802.11b/g Wi-Fi)
USB host ports (front and rear panel)
IR receiver (external)

I still can't post a direct link. :no

I saw the specs for that yesterday jollygrunt... boy I cannot wait until this arrives. I wish they'd give us a definitive date

The thing about a $10 lease fee for the Media Portal is that it will really be $25 with the HD Pack and Dish Bogus DVR Fee. Comcast charges $10 for the HD DVR which includes their HD Pack and no bogus DVR fee.

Perhaps SBC will have a contract requirement instead. After all, you will need both SBC Dish AND SBC DSL. They might even require SBC phone service, as well. Or, at least offer the Media Portal free to those who have those services. It would be an excellent incentive to bundle their services. (I already have SBC local, long distance, and DSL. I will be switching to Cingular from overpriced Sprint in August, and SBC Dish when the MP is released.)

I am also wondering if they will not implement the Dish Bogus DVR Fee on the Media Portal, as it is not actually a Dish receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)