Status
Not open for further replies.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
Just curious :) The last choice is a saftey net If I'm dumb and leave off a set.

Projector
Plasma
LCD
LCD RPTV
DLP RPTV
CRT RPTV
Direct View
My display aint on here!

Hmm I just put "projector" But I guess this would be about HD projectors, and I made it mulitple choice for the over the top folks that have more than 1 ;)

bumping to new posts, in case people skipped by it and didn't vote ;)

I have a direct view tube right now, but it would be my last choice for an HDTV in the future. CRTs just weigh toooooooo much. My current favorite technology that I am looking for my next set (6 month or less time frame) is LCD flat panel.

My next one would be a projector of some sort...

BFG said:
Hmm I just put "projector" But I guess this would be about HD projectors, and I made it mulitple choice for the over the top folks that have more than 1 ;)
Hmm, multiple HDTV's over the top? ;) I don't think I am, but I could be.

On a personal note, I think I am starting to have a lot more respect for "Projectors". My oldest child is visually impaired...When I had a 36" tube in the main TV room she watched TV by standing directly in front of the TV. When I switched the TV out to a 50" LCD RP she now watches from the sofa. If I knew that the 50" was going to make a difference I would have bought a larger display...Still might, I've looked at the In-Focus units a couple times, I just don't know how my daughter would react to the light...i.e. she reacts differently to light stimulus than you or I...I see quite a few of the display units, from certain angles, can glare a smudged light reflection off the screen...perhaps it was just a el cheapo screen...so...any input on decent mid-cost screens would be appreciated.

Jason

nippjas said:
Hmm, multiple HDTV's over the top? ;) I don't think I am, but I could be.

On a personal note, I think I am starting to have a lot more respect for "Projectors". My oldest child is visually impaired...When I had a 36" tube in the main TV room she watched TV by standing directly in front of the TV. When I switched the TV out to a 50" LCD RP she now watches from the sofa. If I knew that the 50" was going to make a difference I would have bought a larger display...Still might, I've looked at the In-Focus units a couple times, I just don't know how my daughter would react to the light...i.e. she reacts differently to light stimulus than you or I...I see quite a few of the display units, from certain angles, can glare a smudged light reflection off the screen...perhaps it was just a el cheapo screen...so...any input on decent mid-cost screens would be appreciated.

Jason
with my X1, I use a sheet of 4'x8' of white material(I think it is for bathroom walls or something) I have been more than happy with it...have a 3.5'x3.5' styrofoam sheet in my camper for camping trips with the X1...Check the diy section of projectors at Avs for better info...

Apologies for lack of info here, but I'm confused with some of the listed types... :confused:

Direct View - new 'politically correct' term for regular old CRT (tube) TV, or am I way off? :confused:

CRT RPTV - I know what basic RPTV, and the other two RPTV are but what's this? My assumptions would tell me it's the same as either basic RPTV or what's listed as Direct View (if my assumption above on its definition is right). :confused:

Help this HD newbie please, thanks. :)
:confused: - I just like this smiley

Direct View is for the tube CRT TVs. It's the same technology used on regular TVs.

RPTV CRT means rear projection TV's using the same CRT technology that big screen TVs have used over time. Uses 3 color guns to produce the screen from the rear of the screen. (Red, Green, Blue, or RGB)

There's also a RPTV using DLP (Digital Light Processing) that instead of using the 3 color guns it uses a chip that has tiny mirrors built in that change colors for either red, green or blue.

Yes I've read some good things about DLP. Cool technology it surley is. :)

My eyes must have tricked me above, I thought I saw "RPTV" by itself along with the other three types (LCD, DLP, CRT). Without plain RPTV mentioned as a separate item (like I thought I saw), CRT RPTV makes sense. So I guess my assumptions above were basically correct. Thanks for clarifying for me!

Neutron said:
Direct View is for the tube CRT TVs. It's the same technology used on regular TVs.

RPTV CRT means rear projection TV's using the same CRT technology that big screen TVs have used over time. Uses 3 color guns to produce the screen from the rear of the screen. (Red, Green, Blue, or RGB)

There's also a RPTV using DLP (Digital Light Processing) that instead of using the 3 color guns it uses a chip that has tiny mirrors built in that change colors for either red, green or blue.
not really sure what my Hitachi is, just like the picture... :)

Yep, those old style RPTVs use cathode ray tubes to create an image so RPTV has four possiblilities:
1) CRT based
2) LCD based
3) DLP based
4) LCOS based

Im using a 55" Mitsubishi Rear Projection, HDTV. #55313, cheapo Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD player & a DirecTV Hughes HTL-HD receiver.

Not able to afford a plasma or lcd, I was skeptical at first about the projection TVs, but once I saw a true HD broadcast I was stunned... The picture quality is awesome...DVD's range in video quality but for the most part are very good. Im very happy with my TV, and probably will buy a smaller mitsubishi for the bedroom.

You should break out the projector into 3 categories: LCD, DLP & CRT.
Mine is a 720P LCD projector.

nippjas said:
My oldest child is visually impaired...When I had a 36" tube in the main TV room she watched TV by standing directly in front of the TV.
My daughter (8 yrs old) has perfect eyesight but she is just the opposite, she sits on the floor 3 feet from my 110" screen and loves it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts