What kind of multiswitch do I need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

M-Rock

Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Mossyrock WA
I am trying to connect a second receiver to my Directv HD satellite. I have the HD oval dish that only allows one coax connection. It is a SWM type. Model number on the dish arm is SL3SP1G.

I currently have a SWM power inverter which has one connection for the dish and one for IRD output.

I currently have one HD receiver connected and want to add a non-HD receiver.

I am confused by the multiswitches offered and don't know which one I need. Can someone advise me on which one to get for this setup?

Thanks
M-Rock

You need a splitter. Usually the answer is you can't use a splitter you need a multiswitch but because you already have SWM you do need a splitter.

I am trying to connect a second receiver to my Directv HD satellite. I have the HD oval dish that only allows one coax connection. It is a SWM type. Model number on the dish arm is SL3SP1G.

I currently have a SWM power inverter which has one connection for the dish and one for IRD output.

I currently have one HD receiver connected and want to add a non-HD receiver.

I am confused by the multiswitches offered and don't know which one I need. Can someone advise me on which one to get for this setup?

Thanks
M-Rock

I'm thinking you need either this:

SWS-STR4 SWM DirecTV Compatible Satellite Signal 4-Way Satellite

or:

SWS8wB-P SWM DirecTV Compatible Satellite Signal 8-Way Satellite

Depending on what your doing ....
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the SWM stuff is rather new to me yet ...
I have one with the power inserter and have the 8 way splitter.
Of course if you don't need that many they 4 way would work, but I would recommend the 8 for future use and expansion.

These are from the site sponsor Sadoun, but they can be bought elsewhere as well.

Thanks for advice

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I ordered a SWM splitter and will post my results here after I install it.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

M-Rock

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I ordered a SWM splitter and will post my results here after I install it.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

M-Rock

Which one did you go with ?

All of them should work (that we've listed, Bob and I) from how I understand it

Success!

Well I got the splitter in the mail today and installed it. Everything is working fine. Thanks again to you guys for your advice.

I spoke with 3 different tech support folks at Direct TV before posting on this forum. They all told me I needed a multiswitch. Even today when I called for help activating the second receiver the first guy I talked to said the splitter wouldn't work. I ended up calling back later since I needed to do more hookup before I could activate the receiver. This time I got someone who actually knew about SWM and confirmed that the splitter is the correct device to use and he walked me through the activation process without any problems.

So I'm finally all set. ;->

Thanks,
M-Rock

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)