Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well the 6 foot C-Band dish is going back on the deck this weekend (hopefully) and since my C-Band LNBF crapped out due to cold (H polarity wont work after being outside for a couple hours), I'm putting the old LNB back on.

But the analog needs to control polarity (which is fine).

What kind of wiring can I use for polorotor? I am not burying it. Need probably 35-40 feet which will go under the deck intot he house. I have some real thin 20 gauage wire but they are on different spools (Some cheap stuff from Rat Shack). I'd like one that is kinda shielded

What would work?

It doesn't have to be shielded...

so really any wire would work? I didnt know if it had to be X thickness or not. I should be able to scrounge up some Cat5 or even phone wire :)

Cat 5 works for me over a 40m run and my winters are kind of like yours. The polarotor doesn't take much current to move so the wire gauge shouldn't be too critical. You can use almost any wire you like.

I also have the position sensor from my actuator on the same cat 5 cable.

Well the 6 foot C-Band dish is going back on the deck this weekend (hopefully) and since my C-Band LNBF crapped out due to cold (H polarity wont work after being outside for a couple hours), I'm putting the old LNB back on.

But the analog needs to control polarity (which is fine).

What kind of wiring can I use for polorotor? I am not burying it. Need probably 35-40 feet which will go under the deck intot he house. I have some real thin 20 gauage wire but they are on different spools (Some cheap stuff from Rat Shack). I'd like one that is kinda shielded

What would work?

Best I remember , you need 3 wires . Ols style phone wire had 4 wires . I would give that a try . You could even use the 4th wire as an earth ground .

Wyr

From my limited experience, Phone Cable is 24 gauge, Polarotor Cable is 20 gauge and Actuator Cable is 16 gauge.

Tony,
I have used phone line in the past, it worked great. The only problem with phone wire is it solid core, so it wont take a lot of flexing. Your 20 guage wire should work fine also, and will probably take being flexed a lot better than solid core wire.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)