What lnb for Starchoice?

gpm414

Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and have a question the Startchoice lnb. We spend the winters in southern Baja and have used the standard Starchoice oval dish with dual lnb with mariginal success. Our system works great when we are up north during the summers, but I'm thinking of buying a single round 90cm dish with a single lnb for winters in Baja. We only view channels on the Anik 1 Satellite while there, so a single lnb system would be fine. Here is my question:

1) I have found several lnb's which are for the KU band, but I'm not sure what type I need for the Starchoice signal. The adds refer to single or dual polarity as well as various KU band frequencies they receive, some say they are universal. What lnb will receive the Starchoice Anik 1 signal? Any suggestions or links to dish/lnb providers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. :)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and have a question the Startchoice lnb. We spend the winters in southern Baja and have used the standard Starchoice oval dish with dual lnb with mariginal success. Our system works great when we are up north during the summers, but I'm thinking of buying a single round 90cm dish with a single lnb for winters in Baja. We only view channels on the Anik 1 Satellite while there, so a single lnb system would be fine. Here is my question:

1) I have found several lnb's which are for the KU band, but I'm not sure what type I need for the Starchoice signal. The adds refer to single or dual polarity as well as various KU band frequencies they receive, some say they are universal. What lnb will receive the Starchoice Anik 1 signal? Any suggestions or links to dish/lnb providers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. :)

Invacom makes excellent LNBs and is a SatelliteGuys sponsor. Their SNH-031 Universal FSS (11.7-12.2 GHz) model comes with a 40-mm mount that is compatible with Fortec 90-cm dishes.

Do NOT get a Universal LNB. They will not work for StarChoice

You need a KU standard LNB. Make sure it handles 11.7-12.2Ghz (NOT 10.7-12.2)

In order to save on shipping (horrendous for most 90 cm round
offset dishes), consider an 85 cm Elliptical (30 x 36 inch) such as
the PATRIOT 85-E, which ships at the 70 pound UPS Oversize 2 rating,
and has almost as much signal as a good 90 cm round offset.

LNBs that have been proven reliable for STAR CHOICE include the
signal output Pansat PF-7600 or the DMS 0.4 dB standard Ku-band units.
Want 2 separate independent outputs, use the Pansat PT-5600.

See our website's CANADIAN SOLUTION section for technical and
programming information on STAR CHOICE, including pointing angles
for Southern as well as Deep Southern provinces (Lower 48 and Mexico).
www.global-cm.net

Difference between standard and universal lnb?

Just for clarification...what's the difference between universal and standard KU band lnb's? I've been searching for lnb's and several have referred to having a certain polarity...single, or vertical??? With out getting too technical I'm just curious about the Starchoice Anik 1 signal. Thanks for the information so far.:confused:

I can recommend you follow Mike Kohl's advice above. I have a similar situation to yours in that I am pointed at Anik F2 only (for French programming). Mr. Kohl set me up with a system like he described in the thread above, and it has worked flawlessly. The dish pointing information on his site is accurate. You will be very pleased with the after-the-sale support you will received from Global Communications.

As Iceberg said, you will need a STANDARD, not Universal, linear polarized LNB for SC. Go with Mike, he's knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong!

Just for clarification...what's the difference between universal and standard KU band lnb's? I've been searching for lnb's and several have referred to having a certain polarity...single, or vertical??? With out getting too technical I'm just curious about the Starchoice Anik 1 signal. Thanks for the information so far.:confused:

The difference is a Universal has a low and high KU Band. Low band is 10.7Ghz-11.7Ghz...high is 11.7-12.2 The LNB has a built in 22k switch to "flip" between the low and high band. A standard is just the high band.

SC boxes cannot "turn on" the 22k to get the high band so if you used a UNiversl the box would only see the low band. Universals arent really needed in the US unless you want PAS9 at 58W. They're big in Europe where free to air is more common :)

I`m not clear on the lnb types and requirements for SC. I have a 10' Winegard with C and Ku Norsat lnbs (4106A & 8115). If I understand Ice`s post all I would need is a SC receiver and a subscription. Is that correct or am I missing something-------
What SC receiver is recommended for basic services???

yep that Dish would work fine. The only drawback is when you leave the satellite (AnikF1) you would lose the signal (and the maps after a while). Best ot get a 30" dish and a KU Band LNBF and keep it separate :)

Thanks Ice. Can you please recommend a SC receiver model , nothing fancy, no HD.
I read on other posts about your close call on the bridge. We`re all glad you`re OK.

basic units are now the 217 & 317 I think.

The 205 & 315 were the most recent models. I have the 205 which is a basic unit. One button on unit. The 315 had 2 sets of A/V plugs & Svidep (205 had one set of A/V plugs and no s-video)

For the little bit of difference in price, get the 315/317

Yeah the bridge thing was scary...still gives me chills when I watch the local news

I just joined today and hope this discussion is still ongoing. I spend most of the winter in Mexico too, when I got home I phoned *choice and they sent me a 75cm dish c/w a dual LNB.

alternate box

What SC receiver is recommended for basic services???[/QUOTE]

I'm using a DSR-921 star choice box with a perfect 10 dish and a c/ku band lnbf with ku side numbers @10750, 11.7-12.2, .03 whole thing is setup poorly, screen Options-6-0-5- right-right sets me at +5.1 to 6.0 but it works just reguires fine tuning to work without rain fade. I'm also at the moment not subbed with Star choice and have the advantage of moving the dish and getting other FTA digicipher channels on other satellites. Have also used a DSR-305 and a star choice 39 inch dish with a DMS international lnbf with the following specs. model asc3215 nr 0.3 rf 11.7-12.2 if 950-1450 mhz lo 10750 with great signal quality only 90 miles from Alaska on the north coast of B.C.. Starchoice box listed quality at 98 out of 99 set to anik A-2 or A-4 and fine tuned. I didn't check Options-6-0-6 right-right to see what number there was.

Last edited:
I would not recommend the use of a 1 satellite dish for SC for anyone contemplating subbing to NFLST or NHLCI.

It will be a source of frustration (and burned out motors)

On NFLST ( and I assume they will do the same with NHLCI), all SC uplinked SD signals are on F1R - merely remapped to ST or CI channels, all signals from other sources are on F2. In addition these maps will change as games start and end.

As for receivers, the DSR317 is the most problematic SC unit out there (with the exception of the early 530s with corrupted flash units). For the difference in $, the 505 is very stable and gives you more channels for the same price vs SD receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)