What makes the list here and others ok to chat about in the open?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Im just curious why its ok to chat about channels listed on sats list,lyngsat and a few others?Are the ones listed on those from FTA friendly people who dont really care if someone is watching for free.Some of those on the list do get scrambled or removed in time like the feed problem.

My theory is that since the Lyngsat published database is in the public domain, it makes no sense to try to be secretive about it. The programming providers have to decide on whether or not to encrypt, for whatever reason. My preference would be that NO programming providers would have a clue that the FTA community existed, and consequently would have no reason to protect their content with encryption. That's obviously not going happen, either.
:(

What amazes me is why some will use encryption on programming as most likely it's not the show but the advertising that help pay the bills. It's the same as OTA programming or newspapers so you'd think the it would be to their benefit not to block their programming and have the biggest number of viewers for their customers. Most likely we can thank Congress and the FCC for this issue. You can buy a newspaper from anywhere in the world and yet they still block what we can get on TV.

My understanding is that if the channel is openly listed in Lyngsat or another listing service then it's o.k. to talk about. If in doubt then don't discuss it in the public areas.

Look at it in a different viewpoint.
Lyngsat posts certain info as “feeds” then list the Freq: SR: FEC: ect…
He does not post exactly what it going to be there.
The Networks are ok with this. They are not having their Named Program out there in their face with google putting it up on their engine searches.

If we change the way in how we post this may also help the problem:

Example,
No Name clean Feed Galaxy 21 : 3720 : 5/6: 11785 : S2/8PSK Pilot Off
The networks do not see their prized show being named and the program continues on FTA.
If this was done by FeedMan at the time he posted those certain feeds, this whole uproar may not be taking place right now.

The downside is not everyone will catch it right off, as long as noone posts the actual name after you make such a post.

However it does appear it is now up to all of us, who post feed info, to change the way we make posts from here on out if we do not want to see them encrypt.

If any of us wants to see this hobby continue this is what needs to happen then maybe there would be no more need for areas that are out of public view where people can feel confident to post info., and as you might have already read some people are unwilling to bend or make changes, so now it is up to us!

Last night I was doing a google search on Azbox, Lo & behold, I saw a post heading I made on this site at some-other place with no affiliation with Satellite Guys.
I checked it out and it was indeed word for word a post I made here about how to do something with that receiver. No mention of where it originated or the original poster’s name (in this case me) but word for word what I wrote. If not for google I would never have know this.

This is why we blame the google bots for bringing this to the attention of the Networks.
I highly doubt they have time to search all the forums out there to see if someone is watching their prized programming intended for network delivery. When the name is in their face it becomes a different story.

The answer to this one is simple...

These are channels that air 24/7 know they are broadcasting in the clear.

The feeds such as sporting events, early runs of network shows etc are not.

The broadcasters for the most part know they are in the clear. And figure its a small number of people watching. The problem is when people find those feeds and post them to a public forum and then they are indexed by the note (aka search engines)

When the bean counter find out there feeds have been published and that there might be a large amount of people watching these feeds that's when they get scrambled.

Why don't they just scramble all the feeds fro the get go? That's one I don't know and its something I hope I never see in my lifetime. :)

Scott said:
Why don't they just scramble all the feeds fro the get go? That's one I don't know and its something I hope I never see in my lifetime. :)

Oh don't even go there Scott. I just dropped serious $$$ on my current bud getting it new bolts, painted, a pole, excavator, concrete and scaffold to get it up and running. All it's gonna take is a jinx like that statement to kill it all :)

cracklincrotch said:
Oh don't even go there Scott. I just dropped serious $$$ on my current bud getting it new bolts, painted, a pole, excavator, concrete and scaffold to get it up and running. All it's gonna take is a jinx like that statement to kill it all :)
this is the reason why I am trying to stop the bots. I think its important for all of us to work to protect our hobby

Stop the bots!

Im just curious why its ok to chat about channels listed on sats list,lyngsat and a few others?Are the ones listed on those from FTA friendly people who dont really care if someone is watching for free.Some of those on the list do get scrambled or removed in time like the feed problem.

For the fulltime channels, I have noticed that some of the uplinkers post the information on Lyngsat themselves. One good example is the Fusion Communications mux here: Anik F3 at 118.8°W - LyngSat

Thanks Scott and others for this info.So it looks like they turn there heads on 24/7 channels but feeds for the most part are a no no.I still dont really get why the 24/7 stuff dosnt seem to be a threat to them but i hope they keep thinking that way.;)

One good example is the Fusion Communications mux here: Anik F3 at 118.8°W - LyngSat
How can you say that Fusion Comm. has(d) anything to do with the post on Lyngsat? Just wondering(??) as the post is only attributed to a J Lyle.
"Knowledge grows exponentially. The more we know, the greater our ability to learn, and the faster we expand our knowledge base." — Dan Brown

Ah! OK. Thanks. Would it be too much to ID any others that post on Lyngsat. Don't know what I'd use that info for at the moment. But "Knowledge grows exponentially. "The more we know, the greater our ability to learn, and the faster we expand our knowledge base." — Dan Brown - & Maybe something positive can be had with this knowledge, (?)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)